What wins Josh the job today?

Virgil

I don't have any specific statistical expectations. Two strong drives culminating in at least 10 points in the first half along with minimal turnovers --- and if there is a turnover, the ability to show poise on the next drive. Peterman was looking pretty promising in his no-good, awful game and even the first interception was a savvy play and the turnover was wholly on DiMarco; however, the way Peterman fell so completely apart has made it hard to regain any confidence him as a potential starter. It might be even better if Allen does have a rough drive or two and bounces back, Kelly style (anyone remember that one game where Kelly had 3 ints in the first half and looked awful, and wound up leading the team to victory in the second half and threw some ridiculous amount of yards -- i might be conflating a few games into one even). 

In fact, I'd be ecstatic, and maybe even prefer game manager stats with a solid game from McCoy/Ivory/Murphy/Cadet. If this team can get their run blocking back on track, that will allow for Allen to not have to do as much and take the pressure off him and I'll feel fairly confident about a .500 or better start for the tough-looking first half of the season.

Edited by thurst44

1 hour ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I think that the coaches would prefer to have Allen sit and continue to learn for at least the first half of the season.  I think Peterman would have to have a bad day and Allen a very good one to name Allen the starter going into the season.  

Resist the the temptation to rush Allen in.  The offensive supporting cast is weak and they are going to struggle a lot in the regular season.  I think best to have Peterman or McCarron go through that and have Allen come in late in the season.  For sure, you don't want to start Allen and then have to bench him.

I hear you, but I don't believe the supporting cast is as weak as many make it out to be. The OL is questionable of course, but it's more of an unknown than a definite bad. Benjamin and even Jones have high upside (and the former is looking like he's ready to show it -- he does have over 900 yards in the seasons he's managed to stay healthy). The tight end unit looks like it could be a standout which would give Allen some outs when pressured. Allen has legs and played effectively while the OL was just brutal last week. If he wins the job, he is simply progressing way faster than anyone expected and they should jump on that. 

IMO Josh has already won the job and its his to lose at this point.  I think all he has to do is take command of the offense and sustain a few drives with a TD.  Pretty much like the last two weeks.

I feel that way because this game is important practice for a QB.  Especially when both of ours are so young and inexperienced.  A coach, in my opinion, gives this game to the QB he has penciled in and expects to start week 1.  Otherwise he is wasting valuable reps and learning time.

Edited by Scott7975

I'd say to continue to play like he did in Cleveland.  Lead scoring drives, execute the offense and don't make costly mistakes. 

He does that he's the starter.  I don't think it's his job to lose like others but they are giving him a chance to win it today.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...if he only has 4 picks, does that make him "one up on Peterman"??...just askin'........

Ha, no (although at that point i might be looking into if the jets really will trade bridgewater in the division). Frankly, Peterman did win something back by his strong performance in the snow game, and he's looked good in pre-season, but there was something (and i'll admit this may not be fair) tentative about his performance last week. If Allen looks truly bad, Peterman deserves a shot. I'd feel way more confident about the future, however, if Allen grabs the reins this week. If he's managed to earn the starting job this quickly after all the question marks (i was very vocal about not drafting him and am excited that he seems to be proving me dumb so far), that's a good sign for his future and the Bills' future.

8 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Goof thought here by Joe B.

....just OTAG speculation, but I wonder IF he shows "IT", what will be McD's final decision?.......yes?.......nice showing but not quite there?......have to review the tapes (Dopey Dickey Jauronism-YAWN) etc......would it be a collaborative decision among the "McTrio" as in McBeane, McD and McDaboll or does it solely rest with Sean?.......as usual, I'm clueless..

35 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...what kind of game plan do you think Daboll will dial up?.......

I think Daboll wants to see Allen operate a balanced O / run and pass concentrating more on the short / intermediate range, get the football out of his hands quick and have good ball distribution amongst his player makers. 

With all the feel good story lines going on I'm not expecting to see the Bills or Bengals get to carried away applying pressure on the QB's.

Bills 31  Bengals 25

Last minute drive for a TD/win by Peterman...

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Figster said:

I think Daboll wants to see Allen operate a balanced O / run and pass concentrating more on the short / intermediate range, get the football out of his hands quick and have good ball distribution amongst his player makers. 

With all the feel good story lines going on I'm not expecting to see the Bills or Bengals get to carried away applying pressure on the QB's.

Bills 31  Bengals 25

Last minute drive for a TD/win by Peterman...

...damn you're good......and I certainly agree......"short and intermediate finesse" has been a vocal point of concern here because of his arm strength......if Daboll can refine it, we could be on to something good...Peyton was a master.....take away long, and he'd beat you underneath.......shut down the short or intermediate stuff and he'd smoke you long...Allen needs to develop that type of versatility IMO...

• Thank you (+1) 1

I think they name him the starter as long as the game isn't a total disaster. At least 2 scoring drives and no more than 1 interception. It seems like the Cleveland game was all about shorter throws and the Carolina game was about longer throws. I expect to see more of an even mix today, so they can see how he handles a real gameday offense.