What if Allen isn't good tommorow?

Steptide

17 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

I’d argue that the QB’ s you mentioned ( Bills fans likely haven’t forgotten) weren’t that good to begin with. While they had some physical abilities , we know it’s the difficult to measure mental acumen that was lacking. As well as the intestinal fortitude. Sure, some may have experienced measured success in a perfect scenario behind a fortress OL. We also know a different QB can look just fine behind a mediocre line. Flutie / Johnson comes to mind. If Allen is ready to handle things in the eyes of the coaches, sitting him makes little sense. While I’d generally agree with Jordan Palmer’s take that all rookie QBs would benefit by sitting a year, it may not be practical. On the other side of that contention, I’d argue that a QB is either going to be great or he’s not. Starting him in an adverse situation won’t bury him. Waiting for a perfect scenario won’t save him either. If the Bills truly have a better option, then they should start that option. If Allen plays well, it doesn’t appear that they have one. 

You could also argue that all those first round QB's that went to bad teams down through the history of the NFL also weren't that good to begin with. Josh Freeman, Mark Sanchez, JaMarcus Russell, Vince Young, Matt Leinart, Byron Leftwich, David Carr, Joey Harrington, Tim Couch, Akili Smith, Cade McNown, Ryan Leaf, Heath Schuler, Rick Mirer, David Klinger, Andre Ware, Kelly Stouffer, Todd Blackledge, Art Schlichter, Jack Thompson, Jerry Tagge...

Anyway, Bills fans have selective memories for the most part... probably due to all the imbibing. 

In 2008 the Buffalo Bills started the season 4-0 by beating the Seahawks, Jags, Raiders, and Rams. After that fourth game, this board was going nuts while being flooding with Bills fans going mental on how good Trent Edwards looked! And a lot of fans were comparing him to a young Joe Montana...seriously! That is a very far cry from how his life as a Buffalo Bill ended. 

Edwards career was basically ended in the very next game in Arizona as Cards defender Adrian Wilson came unblocked and helmet to helmet drove Edwards into the turf. Needless to say that Trent suffered a very severe concussion and while he sat out the rest of this game. Trent went on to play the rest of the season and even won the next game against the Chargers with the Bills going 5-1.  The Bills went 2-8 the rest of the season and Trent became Trentitive in that time. 

Concussion protocals are so different now and I'd have to think that in today's game Edwards would have sat out most of the rest of that season or ever all of it. In my view and in many others that severe concussion was the start of Trent Edwards downward spiral. 

NOW, go back and look at that hit in the Cleveland game in which an unblocked Browns defender comes untouched to sack and fling Josh Allen on his head. Yes, Allen is bigger and stronger while probably tougher then Edwards. Still, QB's like Aaron Rodgers that have been knocked out of games and even missed parts of seasons due to concussions. 

Bottom line: I'd really like to see Allen survive this season to lead this franchise to a championship. 

On 8/25/2018 at 10:55 AM, Steptide said:

I'm as excited as the next guy for Allen to win the starting job. I'm also a Peterman advocate, and am 100% comfortable with him starting if need be. 

If Allen fails tomorrow though, are we back at square one with McCarron, Peterman and Allen? I'd like to think no, but listening to media this week, there seems to be this narrative that it's Allen's job to lose and I'm not so sure. 

I spelled tomorrow wrong. Oops 

You mean, what if he throws 5 INT's in a half? Oh wait...

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....I'd feel better if Klopfenstein was at TE though..............

I actually just read what I posted. I disn’t mean to say I expect Allen to have a bad game today, but we all know he will have a bad game sooner than later.

I have faith in this kid.

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...McD has Orton on speed dial...we're good.......

That would require getting Orton away from the weekend beer n bbq festivities......may have to break the cap to do this.....but yes i agree.....

5 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

You could also argue that all those first round QB's that went to bad teams down through the history of the NFL also weren't that good to begin with. Josh Freeman, Mark Sanchez, JaMarcus Russell, Vince Young, Matt Leinart, Byron Leftwich, David Carr, Joey Harrington, Tim Couch, Akili Smith, Cade McNown, Ryan Leaf, Heath Schuler, Rick Mirer, David Klinger, Andre Ware, Kelly Stouffer, Todd Blackledge, Art Schlichter, Jack Thompson, Jerry Tagge...

Anyway, Bills fans have selective memories for the most part... probably due to all the imbibing. 

In 2008 the Buffalo Bills started the season 4-0 by beating the Seahawks, Jags, Raiders, and Rams. After that fourth game, this board was going nuts while being flooding with Bills fans going mental on how good Trent Edwards looked! And a lot of fans were comparing him to a young Joe Montana...seriously! That is a very far cry from how his life as a Buffalo Bill ended. 

Edwards career was basically ended in the very next game in Arizona as Cards defender Adrian Wilson came unblocked and helmet to helmet drove Edwards into the turf. Needless to say that Trent suffered a very severe concussion and while he sat out the rest of this game. Trent went on to play the rest of the season and even won the next game against the Chargers with the Bills going 5-1.  The Bills went 2-8 the rest of the season and Trent became Trentitive in that time. 

Concussion protocals are so different now and I'd have to think that in today's game Edwards would have sat out most of the rest of that season or ever all of it. In my view and in many others that severe concussion was the start of Trent Edwards downward spiral. 

NOW, go back and look at that hit in the Cleveland game in which an unblocked Browns defender comes untouched to sack and fling Josh Allen on his head. Yes, Allen is bigger and stronger while probably tougher then Edwards. Still, QB's like Aaron Rodgers that have been knocked out of games and even missed parts of seasons due to concussions. 

Bottom line: I'd really like to see Allen survive this season to lead this franchise to a championship. 

Hate to say it...

Unfortunately my fears came true. It's alright though. 1, it's pre season, 2, Peterman looks much improved and can play for this team until Allen is ready. My hope is that this o line tonight was just off and isn't nearly as bad as they looked 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Steptide said:

Unfortunately my fears came true. It's alright though. 1, it's pre season, 2, Peterman looks much improved and can play for this team until Allen is ready. My hope is that this o line tonight was just off and isn't nearly as bad as they looked 

they looked fine in the Carolina game. Wonder what happened?