What if Allen isn't good tommorow?

Steptide

If he does poorly it means he has room to grow before taking the starting job. Once he starts he needs to stay in, the worst thing we could do is the start him, bench him yo-yo approach.  So I'd rather know that he's not ready tomorrow as opposed to during the regular season.

I also don't want him to start if he is going to be pressured on 95% of drop backs.  We don't need to get him hurt, or turn him into Carr.  I still remember Trent Edwards before he was murdered by the Cards, he was a real QB but after that he was Trentative. Don't need to risk Allen learning to play afraid, although he doesn't seem to be the type to become a fearful player.

1 hour ago, Steptide said:

I'm as excited as the next guy for Allen to win the starting job. I'm also a Peterman advocate, and am 100% comfortable with him starting if need be. 

If Allen fails tomorrow though, are we back at square one with McCarron, Peterman and Allen? I'd like to think no, but listening to media this week, there seems to be this narrative that it's Allen's job to lose and I'm not so sure. 

Nope not square 1 we are beyond square one but it does pretty much shut the door on Allen starting week 1 unless Peterman also stinks it up as well.  If both stink it up maybe then we are back to square 1

I spelled tomorrow wrong. Oops 

I guess this does not apply to spelling but its still funny

Grammar-2.jpg
Edited by ddaryl
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

43 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

I want him to look great to show up the other rookie QB's. :D

OTOH I'm sorta hoping he falls on his face so the team starts Peterman for those first four brutal defenses. Ravens, Chargers, Vikings, Packers.

Let Nate get his butt kicked so his fans will start to say time for something different or perhaps he'll play great and Allen can actually sit and learn this year. Either way, I don't want to see that #7 pick wasted by having him get shell-shocked behind that crappy Bills line.

2 minutes ago, Batman1876 said:

If he does poorly it means he has room to grow before taking the starting job. Once he starts he needs to stay in, the worst thing we could do is the start him, bench him yo-yo approach.  So I'd rather know that he's not ready tomorrow as opposed to during the regular season.

I also don't want him to start if he is going to be pressured on 95% of drop backs.  We don't need to get him hurt, or turn him into Carr.  I still remember Trent Edwards before he was murdered by the Cards, he was a real QB but after that he was Trentative. Don't need to risk Allen learning to play afraid, although he doesn't seem to be the type to become a fearful player.

The OL is an entirely different consideration.  If Allen shows he's ready to assume the responsibilities of the starting QB, he'll be behind center when the Bills kickoff the season in Baltimore. 

1 hour ago, Steptide said:

I'm as excited as the next guy for Allen to win the starting job. I'm also a Peterman advocate, and am 100% comfortable with him starting if need be. 

If Allen fails tomorrow though, are we back at square one with McCarron, Peterman and Allen? I'd like to think no, but listening to media this week, there seems to be this narrative that it's Allen's job to lose and I'm not so sure. 

I spelled tomorrow wrong. Oops 

Alcohol sales in Buffalo will skyrocket.

52 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

I want him to look great to show up the other rookie QB's. :D

OTOH I'm sorta hoping he falls on his face so the team starts Peterman for those first four brutal defenses. Ravens, Chargers, Vikings, Packers.

Let Nate get his butt kicked so his fans will start to say time for something different or perhaps he'll play great and Allen can actually sit and learn this year. Either way, I don't want to see that #7 pick wasted by having him get shell-shocked behind that crappy Bills line.

Playing behind a suspect ( “ crappy”) O line is an adverse situation for a young QB. But can it make a QB play scared and shell shocked? I say no. It recalls that old Marv-ism about adversity not building character, but rather revealing it. Allen doesn’t strike me as a player that’s shook or plays with fear. The fact is we don’t know. We have these expectations of players, but really don’t know what’s inside that makes them tick. I’d suggest that if a potentially good player becomes “ ruined” because they had to play in less than perfect scenarios, they didn’t really have it from the start. It just took some adversity before the truth was revealed. 

• Like (+1) 1

Schopp and Sal discussed this on Thursday or Friday.  

Consensus was that Allen may not seal the starting job with a strong performance, but he may very well convince the coaches NOT to start him in Baltimore with a bad one.

Agreement was also reached that the game is important to the coaching staff in terms of their starting QB decision making process.  I.E., performance in the game does matter.

I would still like them to start Allen for Game 1 no matter what!  The Bills have no future of any kind with the other 2 QBs.

It's all about Allen for the next couple years,  until he sinks or swims.  So let's get on with it! 

25 minutes ago, Logic said:

If Allen stinks tomorrow, then Peterman starts the season at QB and Allen goes back to developing and learning with no pressure, from the 3rd string position.

Not rocket science.

What if Peterman stinks too? 

• Haha (+1) 1

Don't worry...no one here will overreact

34 minutes ago, Logic said:

If Allen stinks tomorrow, then Peterman starts the season at QB and Allen goes back to developing and learning with no pressure, from the 3rd string position.

Not rocket science.

goes from starter to 3rd string...doubtful