Anybody Else Find Themselves Less and Less Interested in the NFL?

1 hour ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

My Sundays in the fall used to be centered around the NFL. I'd wake up, watch the pregame show. Drive to the bar. Watch the Bills. Drive home. Watch whatever late afternoon game I could get on local TV, or RedZone. Watch the Sunday Night game. Then usually watch MNF. 

Now, I'm just as passionate about The Bills as I've ever been. Go out to the bar, watch every game. New Year's Eve was probably the best day of my year last year. Pumped for this season. But I can count on one hand the number of non Bills games I watched last year. If anything, I'd rather watch a college game if I have no direct rooting interest. 

I don't give a **** about the anthem protests. While I'm not the biggest fan of the new rule changes, it hasn't turned me off completely to the NFL. I just find myself less enthused to watch NFL football than I used to be. Even my fantasy players I usually just check the stats online. Anybody else feel this way?

I like football but I'm not a stats geek. I'm only passionate about the Bills and UB.

There are a lot of bad games each week in the NFL, which makes it tough to get excited sometimes.

However, I almost always watch Sunday night football as it's the best broadcast in the sport and they do a pretty solid job of trying to find a great matchup....all Bills games of course...and then I usually watch MNF and TNF b/c why not? 

A lot of the Sunday day games are ignored assuming the Bills are playing.  I might record one of them if it looks like a really good matchup on paper.

Not at all!!!  Not only are the Bills the most exciting they have been in years, but this has been an incredible offseason and one of the most exciting in years.  From FA, trades, the draft, storylines, etc.  How anyone can be less interested in a what I believe is one of the most exciting in a long time is just crazy to me.  Even fantasy football has so many exciting things about it with so much young talent, vet talent in new places, etc.  

Just called Sunday NFL Ticket and told them I'm only interested in the Bill's.  Lied.  Cried a little and got $70.00 a month off for 12 months if I stayed with them.  Nice people to do business with.  Ask for retention.  Love the NFL even more now.  $840.00 more.

Personally I only watch the pregame shows on Thursday, Sunday and Monday. As for the games I only watch 1 game on Monday and Thursday and on Sundays I only watch the 1pm, 4pm and 830pm games. I lost interest a very very long time ago. Oh I forgot I also watch NFLN after the Sunday games.

Fantasy keeps me engaged. I do miss the pageantry of the 80s and 90s. I'm not sure how much of that I should attribute to not being a kid anymore, how much the league has changed or how much the world has changed.

I used to watch road to the super bowl on repeat as a kid, and it seemed like winning a super bowl was the biggest thing in the world that could change a city like Buffalo forever. The people were all in. Even if you didn't understand it like football you wanted them to win. I think a lot of places actually felt like that. These days the world seems more complicated and the Sheen of winning a championship seems no where near as intense and fades just as quickly. People don't care as much as a whole, even though the fanbase is way larger, and that takes wind out of the sails.

Makes me kind of sad.

• Like (+1) 1

Definitely. It’s a little different though. I watch the Bills more than I used to at certain times of my life. But with age/family (in my 50s now) I have less time/more competing commitments so I spend a whole lot less time overall watching football. The NFL’s problem isn’t me - people aging out of obsessions is a normal and long term trend. The problem is (1) we’re aging as a society; (2) a larger part of our population is foreign born and didn’t grow up with American football; (3) people under 30 are a whole lot less interested in the NFL than prior generations. These are demographic trends that are largely immune to the NFL’s efforts — hiding national anthem protests, player safety rules, player conduct, etc — to make the game more appealing (less off-putting?). That’s why the decline strikes me as a permanent phenomenon, not some passing overreaction to anything the NFL is doing or has failed to do. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Direhard Fan said:

Just called Sunday NFL Ticket and told them I'm only interested in the Bill's.  Lied.  Cried a little and got $70.00 a month off for 12 months if I stayed with them.  Nice people to do business with.  Ask for retention.  Love the NFL even more now.  $840.00 more.

I don't need Sunday Ticket because I had it last year, and still went to the Bills Backers bar every Sunday. But my DirecTV box broke the other day. Haven't had time to call yet, but I'm hoping to pull a sob story, talk to a manager, etc, to get some sort of deal on the Center Ice package.

1 hour ago, mannc said:

In general, no, I'm not less interested in the NFL.  What I'm tired of is being subjected to games involving the same teams, week in and week out. 

This might be it too. I used to work for Dish, and so we had to go over training every fall on rebutals for people who wanted to cancel for DirecTV Sunday Ticket. One thing they had was a chart of how many nationally televised games each team had. New England had 9, Dallas had like 6 or 7, Buffalo had the mandatory Thursday game. 

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

For me it's stronger than it's every been....however, I know what you're saying OP.

I used to watch almost every game when I was single.  After the Bills game, I wanted to see other teams play.

Well, in the last few years, I got married and had a kid.  I just don't have time to keep up with the NFL like I used to.  I get the Bills every game, my wife knows that's mandatory.  

Sundays are now just Bills games.  I get my info about the rest of the NFL basically on this site and ESPN/NFL.com

I'm engaged now. Getting married in November. That might be it too. When I was single, sports were my whole life. I still love sports, but I think they've taken proper precedence in my life. 

Like I said, I'm just as in love with the Bills as always. It might actually be because of the fact that we're playing so good. I'm actually watching decent meaningful football, for the most part. So I don't have to go somewhere else to see a good game. 

• Like (+1) 1

100% 

The Patriots dynasty took the air out of a lot of NFL fans. Even if people don't admit it, deep down they know a lot of Pats games in particular are fixed somehow. The game is softer than it ever was, and the pregame shows are just trash with zero insight, personal stories nobody cares about, talking over each other, and fake laughter. I get excited in the offseason but I lose a lot of my passion during the season when I see how much the refs can control the game with subjective holding and PI calls, and now defensive hits. The joy and excitement isn't there anymore, at least not like it used to be. Sunday used to be like Christmas morning, not anymore. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Bohemianfatboy said:

Same here. Actually Ive always loved soccer, but now there are actual options to watch it. 

I was being sarcastic. I would rather stare at the sun than watch soccer.  This is, after all, a football message board.  ??

No offense

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, musichunch said:

100% 

The Patriots dynasty took the air out of a lot of NFL fans. Even if people don't admit it, deep down they know a lot of Pats games in particular are fixed somehow. The game is softer than it ever was, and the pregame shows are just trash with zero insight, personal stories nobody cares about, talking over each other, and fake laughter. I get excited in the offseason but I lose a lot of my passion during the season when I see how much the refs can control the game with subjective holding and PI calls, and now defensive hits. The joy and excitement isn't there anymore, at least not like it used to be. Sunday used to be like Christmas morning, not anymore. 

Pats winning isn’t a legit excuse, we went thru the Fish and Steelers kicking the AFC around with the Bills paying the price 

Edited by row_33

1 minute ago, Boyst62 said:

I was being sarcastic. I would rather stare at the sun than watch soccer.  This is, after all, a football message board.  ??

No offense

No offense taken. I understand I am in the minority. Still love my Bills and watch them whenever I can, but soccer is my favorite sport. 

I can watch just just about any soccer game, but it’s hard for me to watch football unless it’s the Bills or the Super Bowl.