Browns Defense

1 hour ago, SWATeam said:

I think they will be pretty good on D, but not as good as they look right now.  Watching them, they are showing way more than normal for the preseason.  Greggo is trying to look good, IMO.

This is what (IMO) made Josh Allen's performance against them so great. Allen did not play against vanilla defense like everyone claims is preseason. Some of the breakdown videos of Allen's play shows some overload blitz', as well as disguised blitzes and Allen handled them like a pro.

They are athletic and quick.  It wouldn't surprise me that Williams is running playbook schemes in preseason games against vanilla offenses as a way to build confidence in the players and have them run the plays with less thought, more learned behavior.  

That seems like a very "Gregg" thing to do.  

3 hours ago, dpberr said:

They are athletic and quick.  It wouldn't surprise me that Williams is running playbook schemes in preseason games against vanilla offenses as a way to build confidence in the players and have them run the plays with less thought, more learned behavior.  

That seems like a very "Gregg" thing to do.  

...well he did turn down 7 other jobs to take this one, right?......

4 hours ago, PolishPrince said:

This is what (IMO) made Josh Allen's performance against them so great. Allen did not play against vanilla defense like everyone claims is preseason. Some of the breakdown videos of Allen's play shows some overload blitz', as well as disguised blitzes and Allen handled them like a pro.

I find it funny people when say it doesn't matter that Josh Allen looked good in a preseason game. On Hard Knocks, Gregg Williams sure seemed to think it matters. He was really frustrated that his defense wasn't able to stop him. Nate Orchard was pretty upset that he couldn't get a sack. It's not like they aren't trying. His good play in that game means something.

3 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

I wouldn't draw any conclusions about anything observed in any pre-season game.

They are meaningless.

The final score is meaningless. The individual plays and matchups still matter. Myles Garrett isn't going to suddenly stop being a monster in the regular season. Teams will game plan more to stop him but his skill set won't disappear.

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, SWATeam said:

I think they will be pretty good on D, but not as good as they look right now.  Watching them, they are showing way more than normal for the preseason.  Greggo is trying to look good, IMO.

This exactly. I couldn't understand why they were playing the way they were in preseason week 2, it seemed pretty classless. It felt like they were trying too hard to prove they can win games after winning 4 in the last 3 seasons. They have the talent to be successful on defense during the regular season, but they've been playing mid season ball against vanilla offenses designed to get a feel for the players. They should also be easier to gameplan for since they have already shown coaches what their D is going to look like. 

16 hours ago, SWATeam said:

Even against us I felt this way, glad others picked up on that , and in all seriousness , Josh Allen and Marcus Murphy had their way with some 1st n 2nd teamers . 

I do think they have a legit front 7 , I just don't see it in on the back end and that's eventually going to hurt them on defense . Their #4 pick , Ward, injury didn't look good , they really messed that Chubb pick up because Garrett looks absolutely phenomenal

18 hours ago, COTC said:

This is why G. Williams is a horrible d cord. He shows his hand too early.  

While everyone is playing vanilla, he comes out with blitz’ and overloads. 

When it counts, they will have him already figured out. 

Williams has been a D coordinator for so long, teams pretty much "figured him out" years ago.

18 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

How many years has it been that everyone has looked at the Browns after their offseason and said how they are going to be good and then they end up just being the Browns?

When has "everyone" said the Browns were going to be "good" after preseason?   Most predictions have been that they would win a few games and continue to live in the AFCN dungeon.   Even this year, "everyone" is saying that the Browns are going to be better than before, with some of the most optimistic thinking that the Browns can win 6-8 games if things (like injuries) go right for them. 

The Browns have more than enough talent on the field to win 6 or 7 games, including at QB.  They have 2 proven NFL coordinators.  They haven't had either of those in the past.     

12 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I find it funny people when say it doesn't matter that Josh Allen looked good in a preseason game. On Hard Knocks, Gregg Williams sure seemed to think it matters. He was really frustrated that his defense wasn't able to stop him. Nate Orchard was pretty upset that he couldn't get a sack. It's not like they aren't trying. His good play in that game means something.

The final score is meaningless. The individual plays and matchups still matter. Myles Garrett isn't going to suddenly stop being a monster in the regular season. Teams will game plan more to stop him but his skill set won't disappear.

I agree on both points. 

Allen played effectively against the second team D which is what was impressive when both Foles and Sudfeld failed to do anything against the Browns' second D.  Against the Browns first team D, Foles was just as bad as McCarron ... and the Browns' first D smoked the Eagles starting OL (minus Jason Peters) almost as badly as it did the Bills'.  The Browns front 7 seems likely to terrorize QBs this season if they stay healthy.   The Browns have added a number of good veterans on both sides of the ball, and those guys will be the same guys they've been previously when opposition coaching staffs game planned against them.

]