Buffalo Bills Position Battles: Ryan Groy vs. Russell Bodine Film

Buffalo Bills Position Battles: Ryan Groy vs. Russell Bodine Film

The Buffalo Bills are entering their third preseason game, which means the starters will play a majority of the contest. But the center position has yet to be settled. Ryan Groy and Russell Bodine have been rotating in and out with the starters throughout training camp, and it is likely that the coaching staff is going to make a decision soon. With the decision on the horizon, let’s put the two side by side and break their skillsets down.

• Thank you (+1) 3

One of the key things that I take from this article is that Groy is more stout in pass protection so the pocket is less likely to collapse than when Bodine is in there.  Being able to step up into the pocket is a big deal, especially with a young QB. 

Again it's mentioned that one of the potential "issues" with Groy starting is his ability to be the swing backup, saving a roster spot on Sunday.  Do we have anyone else that can play multiple positions?  Can Bodine play guard?  Can Teller, Vlad or Miller play center?  Even if only to finish out a game.

2 minutes ago, TPS said:

Allen-Groy combo should be one of the primary areas to focus on during this game, and their performances will determine who starts at Baltimore.

The Bengals front will pose a good test for Groy to gauge where he is. 

1 hour ago, Maybe Someday said:

One of the key things that I take from this article is that Groy is more stout in pass protection so the pocket is less likely to collapse than when Bodine is in there.  Being able to step up into the pocket is a big deal, especially with a young QB. 

Again it's mentioned that one of the potential "issues" with Groy starting is his ability to be the swing backup, saving a roster spot on Sunday.  Do we have anyone else that can play multiple positions?  Can Bodine play guard?  Can Teller, Vlad or Miller play center?  Even if only to finish out a game.

I think what they'll do if they choose Groy to start at center is still dress Bodine for games and if either Miller or Ducasse have to go out, they'd shift Groy over to guard and bring in Bodine at center.

1 hour ago, BillsRdue said:

Good article. I'm in the Groy camp too. Everything here just re-affirms it. I think the Bills are smart enough to see it.  I'd love to see a Teller vs Ducasse breakdown. 

This is silly. Groy should be starting from Day 1 of camp. Please cut Redmond, I can't watch his floating snaps anymore. Bodine will be a good depth guy.

2 hours ago, Maybe Someday said:

I think it would be better for the long snapper to play center than Vlad, if it came down to that.

1 hour ago, Bray Wyatt said:

I dont get the swing thing means he cant start, if a guard gets hurt, move groy and bring bodine in, if groy gets hurt bring bodine in. Not sure why that means he cant start at C

You really want to avoid changing centers during a game unless the center is injured.  What you suggest is workable, but undesireable.

I think the Bills hoped Bodine would be the guy and that he looked poor last couple years because of other changes on the Cincy OL, but right now Groy is looking like he has the edge and should properly win the job.

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You really want to avoid changing centers during a game unless the center is injured.  What you suggest is workable, but undesireable.

I think the Bills hoped Bodine would be the guy and that he looked poor last couple years because of other changes on the Cincy OL, but right now Groy is looking like he has the edge and should properly win the job.

I can kinda understand the desire not to change in the middle of a game, but we are talking about a one game fix (and likely partial game fix) where we could go out and sign a replacement if the guard that got hurt is out extended period of time for the following games. To me, that risk is less than risking not playing your best center.

I guess one of my criticisms of this regime is how they have handled the OL.

I don't understand why this C position is a battle, Groy earned a chance to start when Wood went down a couple of years ago and Groy filled in admirably.

Bodine isn't that good of C. 

I don't understand the fight, but what do I know.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, njbuff said:

They are certainly, to date, showing a "low interest rate", lower than a top-notch team needs.

16 minutes ago, njbuff said:

I don't understand why this C position is a battle, Groy earned a chance to start when Wood went down a couple of years ago and Groy filled in admirably.

The Bills took the opportunity to bring Bodine in to compete at a reasonable price. 

The Bengals had a very good OL Bodine's 1st 2 years in the league.  They fell off in 2016 and last year.  The Bills took a chance that the fall-off had less to do with Bodine and more to do with the change from Hue Jackson to Zampese at OC and possibly churn on the rest of the OL (lost an all-pro LT and a good RG to FA). 

Bodine didn't look so good the last 2 years, but neither did Dalton and the rest of Cincy's O - from 7th to 24th/26th.  It was a reasonable gamble, IMO.

33 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Haven’t you heard?  Juan Castillo is our OL coach.  That explains everything