The Legalization of Weed

Chef Jim

7 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

With pot now 100% legal here in California I’ve been partaking more than I did when I just had my medical card. It’s interesting to read about the effects of different strains. I don’t get to try a lot of them because I use so very little that a gram will literally last me months. I buy indica to help me sleep and sativa during the day on weekends.  Here’s the thing. How do you know what you’re getting?  With booze it was easy. An IPA tastes like an IPA. Pinot like a Pinot. Scotch like a Scotch etc etc. As many of you know I’m against over regulation by the government but things like this I’m ok with. 

Oh and here’s the cool part. I live in the suburbs of Orange County so there are no dispensaries here so they deliver to your door. Had two deliveries since moving here over a year ago. Both times by a hottie.  “Hey baby...wanna get high?”   ?

I work in LE, so the whole "partaking" for the last 30+ years as been a big NO. I retire soon. Not saying I will, but the option will be there. I had my fair share before I got serious about going into LE as a career (before I was 18). My daughter has quite a few connections, dang CA kids (she also had her 420 card). It's on the list of things to consider...it wouldn't be a hard pass. 

6 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

The process for getting a card here in CA when you needed one was a joke.  I went to Dr 420 (yeah I'm serious).  The "nurse" took some info and led me to a room that had a table, chair and a laptop and said "the doctor will be right with you".  No medical degrees on the wall.  I imagined the laptop was to enter more information regarding my illness (major sciatica pain).  Nope in a couple minutes Dr 420 pops up on Skype.  We did not talk about my sciatica other than the level of pain. They never looked into my claim of back pain, never spoke with my doctor and ever examined me.  We talked about dosages and that smoking was the best way to control dosage than edibles.  It's all about the money.  An absolute joke. 

It is?  As I mentioned the reason I got the medical card was due to sciatica pain.  The pot did absolutely nothing.  Opioids?  Oh yeah baby!!  The big difference is the addictive nature of the narcotic.  

When we moved here, my wife called some 'doctor' on the phone, chatted for five minutes, paid him a few bucks and the card came in the mail a week later.  Then she had some hippy chick with a big duffel full of weed and edibles come over and they spent almost an hour talk about varieties, etc.   Hilarious.

Seems a bit  crazy that booze is legal and weed isn't for the most part in this day and age.  My dad hated weed, but eventually died from alcoholism. All things considered,  I'd want my kids to be healthy and happy without anything, but I'd prefer they smoke rather than drink down the road. I have a bit of an affliction for both. More the drink, because my wife despises weed. But if I'd have my druthers I'd shift it the other way. 

Edited by RaoulDuke79
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, KD in CA said:

When we moved here, my wife called some 'doctor' on the phone, chatted for five minutes, paid him a few bucks and the card came in the mail a week later.  Then she had some hippy chick with a big duffel full of weed and edibles come over and they spent almost an hour talk about varieties, etc.   Hilarious.

Now that’s funny because I referred to the hottie that delivered as my “Tupperware lady”. 

By the way it’s strains not varieties. 

tenor.gif?itemid=5944998

Edited by Chef Jim
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Odds are,those overpriced edibles are probably CBD oil only.Just sayin. 

I had heard the “gateway drug” argument forever. I worked with a guy who rarely drinks, but says he’d smoke pot if it were legal and his wife didn’t mind. That was his thing in HS and college.  He made an interesting argument. If it’s legal, not only is it taxed and regulated, but you never need to be exposed to that dealer who also has a menu of benzo’s, opiods and all the stuff that can lead down the road to ruin. 

Food for thought. 

29 minutes ago, Augie said:

I had heard the “gateway drug” argument forever. I worked with a guy who rarely drinks, but says he’d smoke pot if it were legal and his wife didn’t mind. That was his thing in HS and college.  He made an interesting argument. If it’s legal, not only is it taxed and regulated, but you never need to be exposed to that dealer who also has a menu of benzo’s, opiods and all the stuff that can lead down the road to ruin. 

Food for thought. 

Was his argument referring to dealers or doctors?!?

• Like (+1) 1

Sadly for many people who have serious medical conditions where marijuana could help it is still unavailable to them as an option. If you take any other “controlled substance” prescribed by a doctor you can not use marijuana due to the fact that it is still a federal schedule 1 drug. Even if a doctor (not Dr. Greenthumb but an actual doctor) suggests or prescribes it to you or get a state medical card. You will lose the other medicine you are on  and the prescribing doctor can lose their prescription license so many patients have to make a choice on what they would like to treat and what they wish to suffer with. Go go big pharma and idiot politicians. 

Legal for recreational here in VT since 07/01/18, but I hear it will be 18/24 months before they figure out how to regulate and tax it.  No dispensaries until then.  

It’s super easy to find all kinds of oils and edibles here though.  Most of them appear to be from California.  I visited a dispensary in Vegas last summer, and it was like in Willy Wonka when the kids got into the room entirely made of candy.  Incredible.

Edited by Johnny Hammersticks

29 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

The only people who want to keep it illegal are those with a vested interest in the status quo

That is patently false. I'm married to a woman with zero vested interest who thinks it should remain illegal. You and I may disagree with her reasoning but I can assure you it has nothing to do with maintaining the status quo.

5 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

That is patently false. I'm married to a woman with zero vested interest who thinks it should remain illegal. You and I may disagree with her reasoning but I can assure you it has nothing to do with maintaining the status quo.

Whats her actual reasoning?

I don’t smoke but think we should fully legalize, and other than Pharma  money 

most of the arguments against legalizing that I’ve come across when really boiled down to their core seem to either amount to either that the person doesn’t understand the actual science, or that they believe their own morals are so superior that they should be able to dictate to everyone. It’s rare that I come across a nuanced and fact based reasoning- but it seems manybe your wife is among those?

Edited by NoSaint
  • Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Whats her actual reasoning?

I don’t smoke but think we should fully legalize, and other than Pharma  money 

most of the arguments against legalizing that I’ve come across when really boiled down to their core seem to either amount to either that the person doesn’t understand the actual science, or that they believe their own morals are so superior that they should be able to dictate to everyone. It’s rare that I come across a nuanced and fact based reasoning- but it seems manybe your wife is among those?

As I stated, her reasons have nothing to do with maintaining the status quo. You can chose to believe that or not. Beyond that I'm not about to present or debate her opinion on the matter. 

I thought the comment that I responded to was superficial. "The only people who want to keep make it legal are those with a vested interest in breaking the status quo" would be just as silly to me.

For the record I think it should be legal and I don't agree with my wifes opinion.

10 hours ago, Augie said:

Food for thought. 

Just my opinion but I don't think that either the black market or the "nasty" dealer are going anywhere.  I think that for at least New York the bulk of the politicians will want to impose a hefty tax to show "that they accomplished something" in regards to revenue.  People are going to seek out what they want just as they did with pot.  It's not a physical process but rather a mental one.  Pot is not literally going to make someone seek out other drugs but the mentality might be "I consumed pot with no ill effects so what is the harm of trying x,y, or z drug?"