Short Week (Preseason Game 4)

SoCal Deek

I know everyone's excited about seeing Josh Allen start this Sunday afternoon, but I just noticed the incredibly short week coming up before Week 4 next Thursday night rolls around.  Will that have an impact on the guys still trying to make the final roster?  Does it give them time to recuperate any dings this Sunday?  Will the short week (made shorter with travel) make the Bears game even more meaningless?  And...why did the Bills (NFL) schedule the Bengals game for late on Sunday?  I can't imagine the Coaching staff is all that thrilled about it.

4 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Not that big of a deal with the starters very likely playing into the 3rd quarter on Sunday and the 3rd/4th string guys getting extensive action in the 4th game.   

/thread

Hang on there Killer. I never said it was a big deal.  The question is does it come into play at all?  Who's going to be playing QB?  Will the starters play at all?  They typically do, even for a short stint, but on less than three days rest?

9 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I know everyone's excited about seeing Josh Allen start this Sunday afternoon, but I just noticed the incredibly short week coming up before Week 4 next Thursday night rolls around.  Will that have an impact on the guys still trying to make the final roster?  Does it give them time to recuperate any dings this Sunday?  Will the short week (made shorter with travel) make the Bears game even more meaningless?  And...why did the Bills (NFL) schedule the Bengals game for late on Sunday?  I can't imagine the Coaching staff is all that thrilled about it.

With 3rd and 4th string players does it matter?

1 minute ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

With 3rd and 4th string players does it matter?

Does the outcome matter...no, it doesn't.  Does the playing time matter for a bunch of banged up guys trying to impress and make an NFL roster...yes, it does.  But, it's going to be extra tough on a guy who gets dinged late on Sunday afternoon.

it will be interesting to see what they do at QB. Like was said, can't see them risking any of the three. 

Logan Thomas has bee suggested, but he is a battle to keep his TE job, can't imagine he or his positions coaches want to waste time tinkering at QB.

I think a temp hire is on the cards.

8 hours ago, 1st&ten said:

Hue Jackson would play all 3 QB's in the last game.

Your statement is worded in such a way that it could mean Coach Jackson will put on equipment and play quarterback for the whole game for the Browns.

With that organization, it's entirely possible.  Ought to earn him his helmet stripe as well.

47 minutes ago, scribo said:

This is not abnormal. Happens most years, give or take a day or two. It sets them up with a nice long break between the final preseason game and the season opener. 

The long break between the final preseason game and the opener is indeed not unusual. The thread was focused on the short week coming up after Sunday afternoon. In my way of thinking this short week including a travel day will make the Bears game even more of a total waste than is generally the case with how teams have come to treat Week 4. It seems like a bit of a shame for those trying to land a job. And is made really challenging for the QB who’s going to get thrown to the wolves....I mean, Bears!

• Like (+1) 1

None of the guys who play in week 4 are likely to make the team, or very few.   I'd rather they did play Thursday, it gives the team more time to prep for the opener.   Thursday for week 4 should be the only night any preseason games are played.   

Just now, Soda Popinski said:

None of the guys who play in week 4 are likely to make the team, or very few.   I'd rather they did play Thursday, it gives the team more time to prep for the opener.   Thursday for week 4 should be the only night any preseason games are played.   

It is and that's how it is every year.

2 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

So I guess the question is...why is there a Week 4?  Why not just have a Bye Week? If the teams continue to evolve this into an unglorifed scrimmage I can see changes coming.

3 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

So I guess the question is...why is there a Week 4?  Why not just have a Bye Week? If the teams continue to evolve this into an unglorifed scrimmage I can see changes coming.

Sell tickets, evaluate 3rd and 4th string 

8 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

It is and that's how it is every year.

Glad they finally are following my logic