This defense is overrated

Yeezus

Let me translate the original post...

"Stop being excited about the Bills!  Everyone should think they're awful like I do."

On paper, the Bills D was not good last year.  Hell, the Bills outright on paper were not good.  But paper doesn't play football.  We got to 9-7 and a playoff spot despite what the paper said.  We held the Jags to 10 points on their own field, despite what the paper said.

Stop looking at the team on paper.  Let's wait for the regular season to start before passing judgement.

13 minutes ago, The Red King said:

Let me translate the original post...

"Stop being excited about the Bills!  Everyone should think they're awful like I do."

On paper, the Bills D was not good last year.  Hell, the Bills outright on paper were not good.  But paper doesn't play football.  We got to 9-7 and a playoff spot despite what the paper said.  We held the Jags to 10 points on their own field, despite what the paper said.

Stop looking at the team on paper.  Let's wait for the regular season to start before passing judgement.

Here’s the flip side: We must have GREAT coaches! 

I’ll wait to see them play before having any strong opinions about this year’s team. 

I wouldn't use overrated as how I would describe our defense but I would say it is still a work in progress...in the sense that there are still holes to be filled and they will continue to build it up over the next couple years.  I think we are on our way to having a legit top 5 defense but not expecting it this year.  

I agree with the others who say theres very little we know now.  What really matters is to go 4-4 while your team is growing into something good.  Whether they will do that depends on too much that is unknowable today. 

What will Edmund's be like in the second half? Davis? Murphy? Philip's?  A half dozen others?  

What we do know is that the Bill's have a good defensive coach, and that's the single most important factor. 

1 hour ago, TPS said:

This time I actually agree, especially when I see people saying top 5, or even 10. This D was 26th in yards last year. They will be better, and a jump up to the middle IS a significant jump. Top 5 is dreaming, especially when you look at lack of depth in a couple key spots. 

This team was at the league average in scoring defense.  Many players are back for their second season in the system.  

Plenty of reasons it could be good.