Eric Wood’s New Gig

16 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I was just coming to post this. Great story. It finally gives some clarification on what happened that day at his “retirement” press conference:

The news conference with Wood, Beane and McDermott was scheduled to begin at 1 p.m.

“We travel up to Buffalo that morning,” Wood said, “and the NFLPA is freaking out. ‘You cannot say you’re retiring. Send us a copy of your notes. Take this out. Take that out. Thank-yous sound like you’re retiring. It can mess up your injury guarantees.’

“I’m, like, ‘Dude, it’s the Bills. They love me.’ They said, ‘You’ve got to understand this is a business. If you slip up one time before you’re released, they’ll use it against you.’ In my mind, it was a little over the top, but that’s the NFLPA’s job, to protect me.”

Beane’s position was equally matter-of-fact in recounting the afternoon.

As much as sentimentality seemed appropriate given Wood’s imprint on the organization, there were a $16 million contract extension and bonus money to consider. The Bills additionally were tight against the salary cap.

“It was an awful, uncomfortable situation for everybody,” Beane said. “He didn’t deserve it, and we hated it. Eric’s agent and the NFLPA had to protect him. I’ve got to protect the Bills.

“I hated that press conference as much as he did. In hindsight, we could’ve pushed it off, but it was an emotional time for him. He wanted to stand up there on his terms, and he was being advised not to do that, and we couldn’t get in the middle of that.”

Wood agreed that the news conference should have been postponed. Instead, it began 56 minutes late. Wood’s statement took 85 seconds to read. He didn’t take questions. Everyone there was confused.

That was that, a clunker of a way to end a fine career.

“To end on a weird note, to not be able to say goodbye to a city we love the way he wanted to was disappointing,” Leslie Wood said. “It was hard to watch him at his press conference because that’s not what he wanted.

“The words weren’t from his heart.”

2 minutes ago, Idandria said:

I believe his new gig is counting the money from the last contract he got, but never played a down for. 

It was big, so it’s going to take him a LONG time to count it all by hand.

we should all be so lucky. 

This is an oddly hostile post toward him as if he chose to have a career ending neck injury. 

Eric Wood: Bills' rebound from Week 1 disaster starts with...

Eric Wood: Bills’ rebound from Week 1 disaster starts with rallying around Josh Allen

People already are asking what I would prefer to see the Bills do at quarterback. Start the rookie or stick with Nate Peterman? I would have a stronger opinion if I were still in the meeting room, and based on what I saw from the offense Sunday, I’m not sure what’s best.

But as an educated outsider, we all know Allen is the future. Does putting him out there when the offensive line is struggling hurt his confidence? Do you risk getting him dinged up? Those are things Sean McDermott will have to consider.

And when it comes to injecting some excitement into New Era Field for the home opener, people will want to see Allen. If Nate does start and struggles, those boo birds are going to be out quick.

So I would roll with Allen, but I would be careful with him.

4 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

This is an oddly hostile post toward him as if he chose to have a career ending neck injury. 

(1) Wood's contract is eating a lot of cap money.

(2) the o-line is in shambles.

(3) no money to sign anyone new. 

(4) team just lost the home opener by 44 points.

Am I salty? Yea, a little bit. 

• 4 weeks later...