Eric Wood’s New Gig

In Minicamp Week, Retired Eric Wood Is a Spectator

Eric Wood felt like he was missing out when the Bills started their offseason program back in April, and he knows that bug will bite him again once the games begin in September. And he’s even struggled when people have congratulated him the few last months on retiring, since walking away wasn’t really his choice.

But then he snaps back to the reality of what came to light in January.

“The second I want to play again and get upset my career’s over is the second I need to think back to how close I was to really being messed up for the rest of my life, and not being able to live a normal life and raise a family the way I want to,” Wood says now. “So yeah, the timing stunk. But all things considered, we come off a playoff berth, I get out, and I can walk and play golf and run around with my kids.

“I was very close to that not being able to happen. I feel very blessed in that regard.”
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 4

I'm glad he made the decision to walk away while he's still able to walk. Looks like he's come to terms with it, too.

At least he was able to play in one post-season game. Thanks for helping to kill the drought, Eric!

Edited by WhoTom

Such a bummer to not be able to walk away on your own terms, but at the same time, very fortunate for him that the severity of his injury was discovered before it became way worse.

Wood's been one of my favorite Bills since he came in back in '09. Easy to see why teammates gave him the C. When he was a rookie, my cousin worked in the PR department with the Bills. Every year, the rookies are contractually obligated to participate in a number of public events (Play 60, signings, giveaways, etc. etc.) and my cousin said every time Wood had to attend one of these PR things, he was always the last guy to leave, making sure he greeted as many people as possible. And then afterwards, he would take the PR employees out to dinner on him. 

I'm glad he was part of the drought ending and if he wants to remain close to football, maybe the Bills will find a spot for him. Aside from that, I think he'd probably do well in broadcasting. 

• Like (+1) 1

Still waiting for his promised last segment with Schopp and Bulldog!  

He promised those guys a long time ago that he would come on and do 1 last segment with them once all the craziness surrounding his K and retirement blew over.

I don't think that's going to happen now.

4 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Still waiting for his promised last segment with Schopp and Bulldog!  

He promised those guys a long time ago that he would come on and do 1 last segment with them once all the craziness surrounding his K and retirement blew over.

I don't think that's going to happen now.

I think Stevie Johnson missed about every other week's segment when he did the same sort of Monday interview with Shtupp and the Bulldog.  This might be the only one that Eric Wood misses, and now that things are settled, I wouldn't be surprised if he does a final interview.

• 2 months later...

That has got to be rough.  You can just tell the guy wants to be in camp right now, but knows he really can't.  It's got to be eating at him.  I wouldn't wish that on anyone.  But in the end, his life and family come first.  All he can do is move on, and all we can do is thank him, and wish him the best.

On 6/14/2018 at 9:21 PM, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

I think Stevie Johnson missed about every other week's segment when he did the same sort of Monday interview with Shtupp and the Bulldog.  This might be the only one that Eric Wood misses, and now that things are settled, I wouldn't be surprised if he does a final interview.

Stevie absolutely flat out missed or was late to a bunch of them! 

:lol:

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Eric Wood Talks Retirement with Albert Breer - Co-hosting on Sirius XM NFL Channel