Teddy Bridgewater's Miraculous Comeback

Teddy Bridgewater's surgeon, Dr. Dan Cooper discusses the quarterback's comeback from his devastating knee injury in 2016. Dr. Cooper likened Bridgewater's damage to a war wound.

Teddy Bridgewater's comeback has been the best story of the preseason. The New York Jets' backup quarterback has been phenomenal, dropping dimes, firing lasers and looking like an NFL starter.

Bridgewater's performance reminds that he was once the future face of the Minnesota Vikings before the former first-round pick suffered a gruesome knee injury during a non-contact drop back in August 2016.

Speaking with ESPN.com's Ian O'Connor, Dr. Dan Cooper, who performed Bridgewater's surgery, described just how devastating the knee injury was for the QB.

"It was just a horribly grotesque injury," Cooper said. "It's mangled. You make the skin incision, and there's nothing there. It's almost like a war wound. Everything is blown."
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

It would be worse than this.  This is "just" a compound fracture, Bridgewater had a complete dislocation.

Image result for Broken leg gif

Thanks a ton for the visual. It really helped me get the bite of food I had in my mouth down.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Starr Almighty said:

Just having fun. I think he'd be great for the Jags. 

I gotcha.   I really hope the Jags don't get him.   I hear Bortles has looked good in camp, so hopefully he stays away from that team.  They are loaded at WR and a QB away from the super bowl, IMO.  

I want to see him make it. 

Hopefully the Jets aren't dumb enough to send him in the division, cause both of the other teams make sense. 

37 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

It would be worse than this.  This is "just" a compound fracture, Bridgewater had a complete dislocation.

That's not okay. 

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

That was not a compound fracture.

A compound fracture is when there is an open wound, generally when bone pierces through the skin.

It is referred to as "compound" because the open wound compounds the injury due to the soft tissue trauma and increased risk of infection.

Bridgewater had a knee dislocation (not a kneecap dislocation), which is a full disarticulation of the tibia from the femur.

It has massive trauma to the internal knee structure, which can include any number of bone contusions, ligament damage, tendon damage, and/or vascular damage.

Not only was that video but a compound fracture, but Teddy's injury was not a fracture either.

**Btw Royale, you were correct in saying that Teddy's injury was much worse than that video. Teddy would have been lucky to have just a fracture**

Edited by SouthNYfan
  • Like (+1) 2

I don't understand whey the Vikes didn't hang on to him.  He may well end up being better than Cousins (who I like) and won't cost $84 million, or whatever ridiculous fully guaranteed money they gave him.  I guess they were not confident that he could fully recover from the injury.  Nice play by the Jests to pick him up for $10 M.  Good insurance for Darnold/McCown (and they didn't have Darnold at the time of the signing) or they can flip him for a draft pick.  I was hoping the Bills would pick him up, but Allen is looking good, so I am happy with how it is playing out for us.

2 hours ago, HamSandwhich said:

I wanted Teddy this off season, wonder if he was even a consideration for Beane? 

I don't think so.  I think he was too uncertain about the injury and his plan all along was to do whatever it took to draft Allen.  It wasn't a well kept secret that the Bills wanted Allen.  I've read that Cleveland didn't want Allen but knew the Bills did and floated rumors they were going to take Allen at #1 presumably to see if the Bills offered a king's ransom for the #1 pick.   The Bills had a deal with Denver to pick Allen at 5 provided B. Chubb wasn't still on the board, it died when Cleveland passed on Chubb at 4.  If Cleveland was smart (they never are) they would have drafted Allen at 4 and had the Bills by the footballs.  Beane would have had to trade with Cleveland at a huge disadvantage, since Allen was his guy.  

• Like (+1) 1