Why are people betting so much on the Browns this year?

Mayfield is the future and the future may come sooner than most believe, ty-ROD starting week one or not. Mayfield was my guy going into the draft and I still love his game. Once he gets his chance, I figure by week 6, I expect them to take some steps forward. With their schedule I can see them starting 0-5. Hue may be shown the door by then and Haley (interim HC) will put Baker in there. Things from that point will begin to turn. I think they end up winning 5 games. 

Edited by H2o

3 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

were you the one that started that josh allen / Peterman = Kelly / Riech thread?

...with the accusatory and false statement, Uncle Nunzio is on his way to your house with Sakrete....I believe you said, "size 10 1/2", right?.....he likes the quick drying stuff....ONLY thing I EVER posted was if, and a BIG IF, we could come out of this QB competition with a semblance of the next Kelly/Reich duo, we could be in good shape long term....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

The Browns had 6 games last year where they were within one score of winning late in the 4th, including a couple of OT losses. That was with terrible, TERRIBLE QB play and a lopsided turnover ratio (partly due the the awful QB play.)  I think the betting on the Browns doing well is that if they even have AVERAGE QB play, they are likely to turn many, if not most of those close losses..and maybe with a couple good QB games, they can take some of their moderate losses last year and turn them to wins.  Also, add the likely return of Josh Gordon (some think he is an elite WR) and some more high draft picks....and I can see why people think this can be a 6 win team.

5 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...with the accusatory and false statement, Uncle Nunzio is on his way to your house with Sakrete....I believe you said, "size 10 1/2", right?.....he likes the quick drying stuff....ONLY thing I EVER posted was if, and a BIG IF, we could come out of this QB competition with a semblance of the next Kelly/Reich duo, we could be in good shape long term....

ok sorry I didn't remember a thread title to the tee. You obviously understood what I meant, WHICH WAS ALL I WAS ASKING. I wasn't being accusatory, just remembered it was likely you.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

The Browns had 6 games last year where they were within one score of winning late in the 4th, including a couple of OT losses. That was with terrible, TERRIBLE QB play and a lopsided turnover ratio (partly due the the awful QB play.)  I think the betting on the Browns doing well is that if they even have AVERAGE QB play, they are likely to turn many, if not most of those close losses..and maybe with a couple good QB games, they can take some of their moderate losses last year and turn them to wins.  Also, add the likely return of Josh Gordon (some think he is an elite WR) and some more high draft picks....and I can see why people think this can be a 6 win team.

Average/consistant/baseline play is Tyrod's MO.  It's why they wanted him.

This is BS concocted by the sports books to suck in more dupes.

Need proof?  Get a load of this whopper:

"The Browns are our only liability right now," Jay Rood, MGM's vice president of race and sports, said of his book's odds to win the Super Bowl. "We're sitting pretty well on every other team except Cleveland."

As though MGM hasn't already put all those suckers' bets safely in the bank.

Edited by Mr. WEO

7 hours ago, No Place To Hyde said:

That defense is stacked. They have fantastic depth at key positions. Tyrod just has to be Tyrod for them to do well. Not turn the ball over. Pick up some yards with his legs. Hit Njoku and Landry short and hand the ball to 2 very good RBs and a promising rookie. 

Unlike Dream Teams of the past where the idea was to just collect talentd players, thr Browns have done a nice job of finding talent in areas that fit their system. 

While I do not expect a Jacksonville type turnaround from them, 6-8 wins are absolutely possible. They get a few breaks here and there and yes, I can see them in playoff contention late in the season.

Injuries aside, all things being equal, Browns could win more games than Bills this year.  TT will not lose any games, issue is how many can he win.  

Browns are MUCH improved and if you don't see that, I don't know what to tell you. I think they have the roster of playoff caliber team but the only thing that'll hold them back is Hue. He needs to go.

Their coordinators are MUCH improved. Todd Haley and Gregg Williams are both proven guys in the league and can help their units win. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, No Place To Hyde said:

That defense is stacked. They have fantastic depth at key positions. Tyrod just has to be Tyrod for them to do well. Not turn the ball over. Pick up some yards with his legs. Hit Njoku and Landry short and hand the ball to 2 very good RBs and a promising rookie. 

Unlike Dream Teams of the past where the idea was to just collect talentd players, thr Browns have done a nice job of finding talent in areas that fit their system. 

While I do not expect a Jacksonville type turnaround from them, 6-8 wins are absolutely possible. They get a few breaks here and there and yes, I can see them in playoff contention late in the season.

Agree.  Kizer's INTs cost them at least 2 or 3 wins last season, and maybe more.  That's why they wanted Taylor, and why Jackson is unequivocal about Taylor being the starter.  They want to win games, and I suspect that they'll win several more than many Bills fans think they will.

Edited by SoTier

1 hour ago, QuoteTheRaven83 said:

Browns are MUCH improved and if you don't see that, I don't know what to tell you. I think they have the roster of playoff caliber team but the only thing that'll hold them back is Hue. He needs to go.

Their coordinators are MUCH improved. Todd Haley and Gregg Williams are both proven guys in the league and can help their units win. 

Here is I believe a fair question. How well is Hue supposed to do with the roster hes had for 2 seasons in Cleveland? I am in no way saying Hue is a great coach, but get crap groceries and you make a crap meal. This is a guy that many forget went 8-8 in Oakland (after a 7-4 start) with a roster much worse than what he has now. Jason Campbell made starts that season for them.

Kessler, Kiser and Hogan were his QBs last year. Not really sure even the great and powerful Hoodie could cheat a win or 2 out of those guys.