Former Seahawks Punter Jon Ryan to visit Bills on Tuesday

Logic

Bills sign free agent P Jon Ryan

A day after being cut by the Seattle Seahawks, veteran punter Jon Ryan has a job in Buffalo. The Bills signed Ryan on Tuesday.

Ryan, 36, asked Seattle to release him after the punting job was given to rookie fifth-round pick Michael Dickson.

The veteran punter spent 10 seasons in Seattle averaging 44.8 yards per kick. In 2017, Ryan was right around his career average for gross punting (44.7) and net punting average (38.7). His 29 punts downed inside the 20-yard line last season were the most he’s had in a season since 2012 when he had 30. 

Ryan is also a former teammate of Bills kicker Stephen Hauschka. The two were teammates in Seattle for six seasons (2011-2016).

Buffalo lost punter Cory Carter to a torn ACL after a Browns player ran into him during last Friday’s game. He has since been waived/injured.

Colton Schmidt has been the Bills primary punter each of the last four seasons.

To make room for Ryan, the Bills released Tyler Davis.

If the Bills didn’t want Schmidt replaced, they wouldn’t be bringing in a vet this late in camp.

This is no competition, folks. Ryan will be the Bills punter.

Could be they liked what they saw in the kid that got hurt and released him and told him he would be their guy next year. Ryan will be the stopgap.

Edited by Binghamton Beast

11 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Placing punts routinely inside the 20 is an art and shouldn’t be overlooked. But yes, Schmidt has been erratic and hurt us too many times. Ryan asked for and was given his release by Seattle, then jumped the next flight to B’lo.

hmmm..??

Yes he asked for release since the signed a 5th round pick punter evidently to replace him and better to try now rather than after week 4.

Or maybe he will be emergency QB since he threw a touchdown IN PLAYOFFS against Packers which spurred a comeback.

11 hours ago, No Place To Hyde said:

Well, over the length of his career Ryan has been a top half of the league punter. Consistent. Schmidt has kicked in the swirling Buffalo wind for a few seasons now and may have a....leg up....in the competition. 

If all evens out I have to think whoever handles Haush's balls best will get a crack to slip in.

Ryan had many years of practice holding ball w/Seahawks and Haush.  Haush is one of his best friends so you know they will practice off field as well.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

Well I believe we can improve at Punter but Jon Ryan's stats are similar to Schmidt's but he is a lot older. 

Look beyond the stats and you'll find that Ryan is a much more consistent punter than Schmidt who is prone to shanks at inopportune times.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

Man, I didn't know the Hawks drafted a punter in the 5th. They have so many needs and so few picks, and they drafted a punter? I heard they landed this kid and he was a terrific prospect but I didn't realize he was in that sort of demand. 

12 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

And probably an 80+ page thread on which punter will be the starter on opening day.

Or 80 pages of complaints why there are threads on punter.

11 hours ago, HankBulloughMellencamp said:

Schmidt is a good, Chris Mohr-esque hang-time punter who also quite often lands the ball within 5 yards of the sideline.  Those skills are underappreciated by fans, but a special teams coach can earn a living with a dependable coverage unit that takes advantage of them.

Colton is definitely in the top 32 in the world, so if the Bills keep Jon Ryan over him (and I think they will)...

... I'd also bet that Schmidtykicker gets claimed by another NFL club & punts for them this year.

11 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Probably a southern state school...................Georgia, Florida or maybe Carolina?

Cuba has quite a number good kickers and better literacy rate than colleges in Alabama so more likely there.

Unfortunately North Cuba (Florida) cannot say the same.

10 hours ago, Billsman623 said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUlbcN-31rY

Maybe he's being brought in to fill in for McCarron? ?

How soon Seahawks forgot him.  Know a fan with his jersey!

9 hours ago, Captain Fun said:

Seahawks fan here, been watching Jon Ryan since he came into town 10 years ago. The Ginja Ninja is going to be a great addition to your team. Him and Hauschka have a great bond and he is a fan favorite here in Seattle. Tons of Ryan jerseys here, which you don't see for punters. He's hilarious and doesn't mind poking fun at his own expense. Check out the pics of his Td pass to Gilliam.  Hate to lose him as a cap casualty,  but happy he's back with his buddy Hauschka. He's a competitor and u will love his interviews, once u get past his speech impediment.  Good luck this season, Go Hawks!

There were and still are a lot of Moorman jerseys and he is still big in area.

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

This is his wife, actress/comedian Sarah Colonna

http://www.sarahcolonna.com/

She better be careful or she may be doing a real life reenactment of her book in Buffalo. 

She does have nice legs but not my type.

On 8/21/2018 at 2:19 AM, Logic said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/08/21/report-former-seahawks-punter-jon-ryan-expected-to-visit-bills/

Former Seahawks Punter Jon Ryan to Visit Bills on Tuesday

After his release from the Seattle Seahawks on Monday, veteran punter Jon Ryan already has a visit set up with an interested team.

According to Bob Condotta of the Seattle Times, Ryan is expected to fly to Buffalo on Tuesday for a meeting with the Bills.

Are they really trying to get rid of Schmidt ??

8 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Look beyond the stats and you'll find that Ryan is a much more consistent punter than Schmidt who is prone to shanks at inopportune times.  

Even 1 shank per season is ‘inopportune’. 

Come to think of it, when IS a shank an opportune time??

Oh yeah! Marooone punting from their 37 yrd line!

8 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

And you don't think Ryan isn't... Schmidt and Ryan average about the same per punt. And Ryan had a much better long of 74. That suggests that Ryan had his fair share of shanks this past year.

I must be the only one that doesn’t like Schmidt. You can’t just look at the numbers. The numbers are usually blended out to close and it doesn’t really tell the tale. When I watch Schmidt, I see a guy that constantly wastes opportunities to get the ball inside the 20. It seems like he is very inconsistent and I don’t think he was the best punter we had this preseason. To me, Carter’s leg looked much more live and I really think Schmidt looks the worst I have seen him look. Granted it’s a small sample size but I kept saying I think the other guy was going to win the job. It’s a shame what happened to him. I don’t see what everyone else sees with Schmidt. I’m glad we brought in someone else.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Are they really trying to get rid of Schmidt ??

The other punter was beating him out before he got hurt, so my guess is yes.

imo based on the timeline of this, Cory carter tore his ACL Fri night. Jon Ryan asks for his release , was released, and on a plane to Buffalo all within 3 days. He knew he was getting the job before he asked for his release. 

• Like (+1) 1