Peter King / PFF on "ball placement" (Josh Allen related)

Buffalo86

1 hour ago, Trogdor said:

That would be on the QB to change the route. A TE isn't going to just abandon his route to block unless it's a pre-built option. Probably should at least chip him a little, but I wouldn't say block outright. It's possible that it's some growing pains associated with switching positions. I thought for sure it was designed to the TE because of the turn you mentioned. I'm glad he didn't try to force it to him like a lot would. 

Maybe in college the LT called out DBs cheating over like that. Its :28 and 1:06 in the video.

This wasn't a presnap read in which the QB would then perhaps change the play.

All this was happening so fast that #26 was moving up while the QB was in the process of calling the play. This was on the tackle to alert the other players that a blitzer was coming with whatever predetermined signal they use like yelling, fire, fire, fire. (Yes, they still use that in the pros afaik.) This was also on the 2nd year tight end too as he should have noticed that a blitzer was coming and instead he focused on his route.        

As for the QB attempting to force a throw, it looked to me that as soon as Allen turned to throw it the blitzer was already on him and he had no time to do anything but take the sack.    

I'm not blaming Josh Allen for that sack as his linemen and TE should have helped him.    Kudos to him when it happened again he sidestepped the blitzer, stepped up in the pocket and hit his WR for a TD. 

34 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

All this was happening so fast that #26 was moving up while the QB was in the process of calling the play. This was on the tackle to alert the other players that a blitzer was coming with whatever predetermined signal they use like yelling, fire, fire, fire. (Yes, they still use that in the pros afaik.) This was also on the 2nd year tight end too as he should have noticed that a blitzer was coming and instead he focused on his route.        

As for the QB attempting to force a throw, it looked to me that as soon as Allen turned to throw it the blitzer was already on him and he had no time to do anything but take the sack.    

I'm not blaming Josh Allen for that sack as his linemen and TE should have helped him.    Kudos to him when it happened again he sidestepped the blitzer, stepped up in the pocket and hit his WR for a TD. 

I was saying that I'm glad he didn't force it. Learning to take the sack is sometimes necessary. 26 was already up close both times and then they just lose track of him. 

11 hours ago, Trogdor said:

That means he blew the read twice. They pointed out during the game that it's the QBs responsibility to see that defender and account for him. Growing pains. I hope we don't make too many excuses though, because it's still his fault. 

According to Bernie. I will pass on that info. The running back didn't pick it up. Watch it again.

1 hour ago, Nihilarian said:

Watch it again, hirunning back picked the wrong guy to block.

On 8/21/2018 at 1:05 AM, Dadonkadonk said:

Darnold will start to get exposed.  He was not good under pressure at USC.  I thought he had a low ceiling coming out of college.  A poor mans Mathew Stafford.  But so far by all accounts he has done everything expected of him and maybe getting passed over by Cleveland saved his career.

Darnold looks to be a rich man's Trent Edwards, Captain Checkdown Part Deux.

16 hours ago, SoCoBills said:

Petty of you to not just agree to disagree and instead go low road by calling another poster clueless. Having a different opinion does not make him clueless. 

How is treating every opinion as if it were equally reasonable/plausible/correct etc or pretending that every poster offering one knows what he/she is talking about any different from giving out trophies for "participation" in T-ball or kiddie soccer? 

17 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Fair enough, only I didn’t say He was clueless. His adamant, ‘no other possibility exists except his’ is. He, like everyone else here, doesn’t know the playcall from either side. But you wouldn’t know it from his staunch stance that it was all on the QB.

can a take have knowledge? 

On 8/20/2018 at 11:22 PM, Buffalo86 said:

From Peter King's column this morning (apologies if it's already been posted):

"I asked Pro Football Focus, which gives me a smart chunk of this column each week, to judge the first-round rookie quarterbacks by a metric you might not know: ball location on throws by the quarterback.

The theory: Completion percentage is a good number, but it doesn’t take into account when a quarterback has two receivers with great hands, or whether his three key guys have, say, 30 drops in a season. Adjusted completion percentage is better because it accounts for drops. But ball-location (hitting the receiver in stride with an easily catchable ball) is interesting because in today’s NFL, so many throws are short passes, and how many yards a receiver makes after the catch often depends on the throw. Did the quarterback lead him properly? For the last two years, PFF has charted the ball location of every NFL throw, and also the throws of the current rookie QB crop, made.

The top three passers last year in ball-location:

1. Drew Brees 70.4 percent,
  2. Tom Brady 65.8 percent,
  3. Jimmy Garoppolo 61.9 percent.

Baker Mayfield led the draft prospects in 2017 with a ball-location accuracy of 64.9 percent. Through the fist half of the preseason, the best man of the five first-rounders in ball location is Sam Darnold of the Jets. The numbers:

1. Sam Darnold, Jets, 84.6 percent.
  2. Josh Allen, Bills, 70.0 percent.
  3. Baker Mayfield, Browns, 69.0 percent.
  4. Josh Rosen, Cards, 58.3 percent.
  5. Lamar Jackson, 36.0 percent.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/08/20/jon-gruden-raiders-training-camp-fmia-peter-king/

It's early & a very small sampe size, but encouraging nonetheless.

“can’t fix accuracy”?