Peter King / PFF on "ball placement" (Josh Allen related)

Buffalo86

From Peter King's column this morning (apologies if it's already been posted):

"I asked Pro Football Focus, which gives me a smart chunk of this column each week, to judge the first-round rookie quarterbacks by a metric you might not know: ball location on throws by the quarterback.

The theory: Completion percentage is a good number, but it doesn’t take into account when a quarterback has two receivers with great hands, or whether his three key guys have, say, 30 drops in a season. Adjusted completion percentage is better because it accounts for drops. But ball-location (hitting the receiver in stride with an easily catchable ball) is interesting because in today’s NFL, so many throws are short passes, and how many yards a receiver makes after the catch often depends on the throw. Did the quarterback lead him properly? For the last two years, PFF has charted the ball location of every NFL throw, and also the throws of the current rookie QB crop, made.

The top three passers last year in ball-location:

1. Drew Brees 70.4 percent,
  2. Tom Brady 65.8 percent,
  3. Jimmy Garoppolo 61.9 percent.

Baker Mayfield led the draft prospects in 2017 with a ball-location accuracy of 64.9 percent. Through the fist half of the preseason, the best man of the five first-rounders in ball location is Sam Darnold of the Jets. The numbers:

1. Sam Darnold, Jets, 84.6 percent.
  2. Josh Allen, Bills, 70.0 percent.
  3. Baker Mayfield, Browns, 69.0 percent.
  4. Josh Rosen, Cards, 58.3 percent.
  5. Lamar Jackson, 36.0 percent.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/08/20/jon-gruden-raiders-training-camp-fmia-peter-king/

It's early & a very small sampe size, but encouraging nonetheless.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 4

Allen has had a few off target throws............but off target where they weren't going to result in a tipped interception.   Like the pass Allen put on Murphy's right hip in Cleveland.

I know he's taken a bit of criticism for the velocity on some short throws but I don't think that's really justified.........the placement has been good making them easily catchable and giving them a chance to make a move after they get the ball as well as avoid a collision.......those who want tenderly delivered short passes that beg to be jumped by the defense need more Peterman.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 1

Darnold will start to get exposed.  He was not good under pressure at USC.  I thought he had a low ceiling coming out of college.  A poor mans Mathew Stafford.  But so far by all accounts he has done everything expected of him and maybe getting passed over by Cleveland saved his career.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Dadonkadonk said:

Darnold will start to get exposed.  He was not good under pressure at USC.  I thought he had a low ceiling coming out of college.  A poor mans Mathew Stafford.  But so far by all accounts he has done everything expected of him and maybe getting passed over by Cleveland saved his career.

Cleveland is going to be better than the Jets for the foreseeable future, in part because they passed on Sam Darnold.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, eball said:

Considering all of Darnold’s throws have been under 10 yards I’m not surprised he’s on top.

Allen’s number correlates to what my eyes have seen. 

this!

I would be curious to know how TT graded on this....He was heavily criticized during his tenure here for not being able to lead the receiver.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Allen has had a few off target throws............but off target where they weren't going to result in a tipped interception.   Like the pass Allen put on Murphy's right hip in Cleveland.

I know he's taken a bit of criticism for the velocity on some short throws but I don't think that's really justified.........the placement has been good making them easily catchable and giving them a chance to make a move after they get the ball as well as avoid a collision.......those who want tenderly delivered short passes that beg to be jumped by the defense need more Peterman.

watching that play again, the same DB who smashed him to the ground earlier, came flying through untouched (AGAIN!!) and was right on top of him as he was beginning to set his feet. He knew it was big trouble (AGAIN!!) and just zinged it as accurately as he could to the flat. Not perfect placement? Youbetcha. A chance to make something out of a bad play? Youbetcha!(Again!)

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

watching that play again, the same DB who smashed him to the ground earlier, came flying through untouched (AGAIN!!) and was right on top of him as he was beginning to set his feet. He knew it was big trouble (AGAIN!!) and just zinged it as accurately as he could to the flat. Not perfect placement? Youbetcha. A chance to make something out of a bad play? Youbetcha!(Again!)

That means he blew the read twice. They pointed out during the game that it's the QBs responsibility to see that defender and account for him. Growing pains. I hope we don't make too many excuses though, because it's still his fault. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Trogdor said:

That means he blew the read twice. They pointed out during the game that it's the QBs responsibility to see that defender and account for him. Growing pains. I hope we don't make too many excuses though, because it's still his fault. 

That's the point...he did.  He got rid of the football that time.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Mikey152 said:

That's the point...he did.  He got rid of the football that time.

Shifting the block or an audible is accounting for him, slinging a flat pass as fast as you can with poor accuracy is not. I'm sure he will figure it out with more time, but picking up the blitz with this line is going to be essential. 

Just now, Trogdor said:

Shifting the block or an audible is accounting for him, slinging a flat pass as fast as you can with poor accuracy is not. I'm sure he will figure it out with more time, but picking up the blitz with this line is going to be essential. 

You assume that he is calling the blocking scheme and that they have audibles installed in a preseason game...my guess is they do not.  He threw it to his hot read...that is likely all he had regarding options.

4 minutes ago, Mikey152 said:

You assume that he is calling the blocking scheme and that they have audibles installed in a preseason game...my guess is they do not.  He threw it to his hot read...that is likely all he had regarding options.

I mean he already killed a play, so I assume he has other options. Is it so hard to believe that he just hasn't figured out how to read that yet? It's not like he is used to playing against pro quality defenses or anything. 

Just now, Trogdor said:

I mean he already killed a play, so I assume he has other options. Is it so hard to believe that he just hasn't figured out how to read that yet? It's not like he is used to playing against pro quality defenses or anything. 

You don't know what play he killed, but it was likely either just flipping sides or changing from one run to another, which is a matter of counting defenders in the box and on each side of the center.  It has nothing to do with reading coverage and identifying the pass rush, then changing to a play and/or blocking scheme that attacks it.

One is basic football that people on this board could do...the other requires game planning and installation during the week

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

This is exactly why I hoped he'd have more time to learn the pro game before starting. He hasn't seen what a top NFL DC will throw at him. Takes time to learn.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Green Lightning said:

This is exactly why I hoped he'd have more time to learn the pro game before starting. He hasn't seen what a top NFL DC will throw at him. Takes time to learn.

This is all I'm saying, but he can't do anything wrong apparently. A few poor placed passes and blown reads is what I expect at this stage from any rookie QB. I'm actually glad his start is against the Bengals and not Cleveland. The Browns DEs are disgustingly good and he won't get that again until probably the Chargers. 

5 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

This is all I'm saying, but he can't do anything wrong apparently. A few poor placed passes and blown reads is what I expect at this stage from any rookie QB. I'm actually glad his start is against the Bengals and not Cleveland. The Browns DEs are disgustingly good and he won't get that again until probably the Chargers. 

Can he take a bye week against the chargers?

• Haha (+1) 1