What is Cris Carter Talking about

Protocal69

2 hours ago, Ramza86 said:

I mean when you look at his throw you can see the arm is a little back like he mentions....but when you watch the throw live its fine. 

He def was looking at a picture and not actual video.

Just about as lazy as reporting can get. 

10 hours ago, BillsFan17 said:

Watch "2018 Draft Top QB's Skills Tested & Broken Down with Soul & Science | NFL" on YouTube

https://www.google.com/amp/s/trib.com/sports/college/wyoming/football/john-brenkus-of-espn-s-sport-science-analyzes-josh-allen/article_dfd31bdd-f0d7-5a2f-8811-4f3a22c661c1.amp.html

Carter is so far off base with this evaluation. Not even being a homer, just completely flabbergasted at how wrong Carter is/was in his assertions about Allen.

If anything his arm strength and release will bail him out of being a little late because how fast and quick the kid can rip it.

The second part of the video is interesting.  Years ago someone told me you don't throw the ball, you pull it through.   This is true of baseball, football, fastpitch softball, literally any throw.  You can see this best with Javelin throwers.  So the fact he keeps his foot on the ground does exactly what the video says, it allows him to pull the ball through using the ground as an anchor.   Would be interesting to know if he does that every time.

And thanks for the link.

Edited by Greybeard

11 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/0ap3000000927196/Soul-Science-How-fast-can-Josh-Allen-throw

hmm... interesting. That’s the first time I’ve heard that about Allen. 

Soul & science measured his release at 38 hundredths of a second, which they said is on par with Tom Brady and IIRC also one of the faster release times measured. 

Later in the video they also measure his throwing motion on the run. They said 2/3rds if his throwing motion (on the run) took only 25 hundredths of a second. 

That was great thanks  Pretty much blows Chris Charters thesis out of the water.

Edited by RoyBatty is alive
  • Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, mannc said:

The simple explanation is that Cris Carter is an imbecile.

i haven't voluntarily heard a word out of any of these jocks and media goofs for over 20 years thanks to a PVR

just tape 6 games each week and fast forward right to the kickoff and put music on if the announcers are terrible as well

haven't missed anything useful apparently for 20 years

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Protocal69 said:

https://www.foxsports.com/watch/first-things-first/video/1302615107882

I dont see what Cris Carter is talking about. He is talking about Josh Allen like he is Byron Leftwich or something. I always considered Josh Allen as having a quick release..

Watch his td pass to streater. It can't get any quicker than that.

• Like (+1) 1

Carter is the ONLY PERSON who I think has made this "observation".  With all the reasons put forth to not draft Allen (played against weak competition, footwork, intermediate throws, accuracy) you'd think someone would have mentioned this before now.   

Perhaps he is confusing Allen with Darnold? 

12 hours ago, Protocal69 said:

https://www.foxsports.com/watch/first-things-first/video/1302615107882

I dont see what Cris Carter is talking about. He is talking about Josh Allen like he is Byron Leftwich or something. I always considered Josh Allen as having a quick release..

I wouldn't call it a quick release.  Seems like he has the arm strength to throw the ball 100 yards while flatfooted,  and looks big enough to take a good hit and stay upright, but nothing about him looks quick to me. Someone his size I wouldn't expect quickness either. I also wouldn't worry about it even a little.

44 minutes ago, CodeMonkey said:

I wouldn't call it a quick release.  Seems like he has the arm strength to throw the ball 100 yards while flatfooted,  and looks big enough to take a good hit and stay upright, but nothing about him looks quick to me. Someone his size I wouldn't expect quickness either. I also wouldn't worry about it even a little.

But he is quick his release and his legs. Last game he ran for several 1st downs.

My guess is that Cris Carter is getting this from analysts who are critical of Allen's set-up. That is, he holds the ball lower (below his shoulder) than most QB coaches like (by his ear). Holding the ball so low is usually an issue for QBs, because it requires an extra hitch (pull-back) in their delivery. However, Josh Allen's arm is so freakishly strong, he does not require that additional hitch -- which actually allows him to get the ball out quicker than a QB using the prescribed set-up would. Dan Marino and Joe Namath also had similar set-ups and both had famously quick deliveries.

4 hours ago, CodeMonkey said:

But you are just wrong. Watch the sports science videos that people have posted and quoted in the replies before yours. He actually has a very quick release.