Rob Ryan on Colin Cowherd today, a few interesting tidbits

Estro

12 hours ago, baskingridgebillsfan said:

how was it the worst is an interesting question.  Whaley ? Brandon?  the old timers hanging around ?  

I'm assuming he's talking about Doug Whaley on down through the scouts.  I never really thought about them being bad, but Brandon Beane has certainly brought in a high degree of competence and professionalism.  Rob Ryan seemed like a buffoon when he came to Buffalo, and I don't think he or his brother acted with much competency as coaches in Buffalo, but here he sounds pretty articulate and objective.  I also noticed Colin Cowherd admit making a big mistake in his post draft assessment of Josh Allen.

2 hours ago, blacklabel said:

Whaley = pretty good scout, not a real great manager of personnel.

Through the three different coaches he worked with here, he did his best to find those coaches their preferred kinds of players. Marrone needed massive OL, so Whaley gives him Kouandjio, Richardson and Henderson in 2014. Of course, Marrone couldn't get out of his own way in finding the best five for the OL but either way, the tools he asked for were given to him. Rex needed players for the 3-4 , bigger DL & LB and strong man-coverage corners. He gives him Darby and Ragland and picked up several 3-4 style DL in free agency or off the waiver wire.  McDermott wanted high character guys with strong work ethics and a team-first attitude, he helps him get Tre, Zay, Dawkins, etc. We know McDermott ran the 2017 draft for the most part but Whaley and his staff still did all of the evaluation work and Whaley worked with KC to pull off the trade in the first round that year as well as the trades to get Zay and Dawkins. Whaley also picked up several solid mid-season free agents to fill position groups that were bitten by the injury bug. Where Whaley didn't do so well were contract negotiations (except for Hughes, it ended up being a pretty decent deal for both sides) and his philosophy of, "I'mma pick players from big-time winning programs because they're used to winning and they'll carry that over into our locker room and thus, we shall win." And then he signed off on hiring the clown show that is Rex and Rob Ryan and pretty much sealed his fate at that point.

Personally, I think when they hired Rex, he became the de-facto GM.  Rex seemed to get everything he wanted, and it was a disaster.  For these clowns to complain about the personnel situation while they were here (collecting way too much money) is just bull ****.  The rosters that the clown brothers had to work with were hardly devoid of talent.  Not saying Whaley was perfect, but he never got to hire his own coach. Marrone, for all his faults, was okay, but Rex Ryan was a horrible hire.

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Estro said:

He's really high on Josh Allen.  Liked him the most of this years crop.  

Said in his 18 years of being around different personnel staffs in the NFL the situation in Buffalo when he was there was the worst hes ever seen.  Went on to give Mcdermott and especially Daboll a lot of credit.  That chat starts at the 3:10 mark.

So what he is saying is his brother sucks?

• Haha (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Estro said:

He's really high on Josh Allen.  Liked him the most of this years crop.  

Said in his 18 years of being around different personnel staffs in the NFL the situation in Buffalo when he was there was the worst hes ever seen.  Went on to give Mcdermott and especially Daboll a lot of credit.  That chat starts at the 3:10 mark.

He should cut himself some slack.

Just now, LABILLBACKER said:

For some bizarre reason Cowterd brings him on from time to time?

FOX contracts, I assume. Like a few other guys. 

21 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

He should cut himself some slack.

No, not really.... I’m not a huge fan of the Ryan family. They ruined too many of my Sundays. 

3 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

I like the Ryans.

I just wouldnt trust them to coach my football team

They’re fine on TV, and probably to have a beer with, so I can live with that. Just keep them away from my football team!