Rob Ryan on Colin Cowherd today, a few interesting tidbits

Estro

Just now, Bill from NYC said:

Rex was a horror show but I am thinking that Doug "Give Away the Store" Whaley needs to shoulder his share of the blame as well.

Agreed but I can't fault him for those three.  It seems clear that was Rex's dream trio.

23 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Agreed but I can't fault him for those three.  It seems clear that was Rex's dream trio.

Sure but Whaley traded up for Rags. He really did give away the store time and again.

I am equally excited about getting rid of Whaley as I am of getting rid of Rex and that is really saying something! :)

8 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Some moron coach made them pick Lawson, Ragland and Washington.  Rob forgot the dude's name.

Two things, Ragland isn't bad and the Oxford comma is always the right choice. That list of questionable decisions could be much longer if you throw in old Jets players. 

I wish both Ryan brothers would just go away at this point but especially Rob.

He's terrible at coaching and it's *always* somebody else's fault for his failures.  Not once does this guy have a moment of self reflection. 

Whaley = pretty good scout, not a real great manager of personnel.

Through the three different coaches he worked with here, he did his best to find those coaches their preferred kinds of players. Marrone needed massive OL, so Whaley gives him Kouandjio, Richardson and Henderson in 2014. Of course, Marrone couldn't get out of his own way in finding the best five for the OL but either way, the tools he asked for were given to him. Rex needed players for the 3-4 , bigger DL & LB and strong man-coverage corners. He gives him Darby and Ragland and picked up several 3-4 style DL in free agency or off the waiver wire.  McDermott wanted high character guys with strong work ethics and a team-first attitude, he helps him get Tre, Zay, Dawkins, etc. We know McDermott ran the 2017 draft for the most part but Whaley and his staff still did all of the evaluation work and Whaley worked with KC to pull off the trade in the first round that year as well as the trades to get Zay and Dawkins. Whaley also picked up several solid mid-season free agents to fill position groups that were bitten by the injury bug. Where Whaley didn't do so well were contract negotiations (except for Hughes, it ended up being a pretty decent deal for both sides) and his philosophy of, "I'mma pick players from big-time winning programs because they're used to winning and they'll carry that over into our locker room and thus, we shall win." And then he signed off on hiring the clown show that is Rex and Rob Ryan and pretty much sealed his fate at that point.

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, Dadonkadonk said:

Why does Rob Ryan do Cowherd's show?  He blasted the Ryans for years.  Some of it justified but some of it a bit over the top.

it's all about showbiz and ratings and getting fans upset or emotionally involved

12 hours ago, Buftex said:

!@#$ Rob Ryan.  

Exactly.

He and his !@#$ brother put this team back at least a couple years.  !@#$ them both.  They represent the worst of Buffalo Bills football (on the field).

• Like (+1) 1