Mike Scopp Hacking it Up on National Radio

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
2 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

To the OP:

The best way to hit Schopp where it hurts is to create a multi-page thread about him with a link to his broadcasting!

DC Tom just called.  He said you're an idiot.

I find that the dumber posters here are, the more they hate S&B.  As a general rule. 

Also, there is no doubt Schopp can be rude to some callers, and a lot of folks here really dislike that.

But that is usually simply an expression of Schopp's disdain for callers' utter lack of intelligence or knowledge about what they are talking about.  The caliber of most callers to their show is really, really poor.  Most are incapable of critical thought or offering an argument in support of their assertions, and frequently reference player/coach names incorrectly. 

After 18 or however many years of listening to that stuff, I would imagine you get a little frustrated. 

As I've said many times before, Schopp would be benefited personally by working in a much larger market.  For whatever reason, he remains in WNY.  He seems to be the homer type, who lives now on the same little Grand Island where he was raised.  Lots of WNYers are like that.  Heck, lots of people are like that.

That doesn't sound like the DC Tom I know.  I am not trying to "hit Schopp where it hurts."  What do you think I am trying to get him fired lol.  I am simply pointing out how not credible Like Schopp's opinions on sports are.  Local sports media personalities are an active topic on this board.  Seems like to me that you were just stretching for a reason to insult someone.

It's great that you respect Mike's opinion so much, but if like Mike, you think that Josh Allen was "pretty much lousy at Wyoming" and hated Allen at 7 but loved Jackson there because he could run fast, I'll go ahead and file your opinion on football in the !@#$ing useless category as well.

I will agree that a lot of the callers are not that well informed but saying Schopp is, is laughable.  He would absolutely get destroyed in a big city where he had to talk about more than the Sabres or Bills.  I almost think you have to be associated with him somehow yo have such a ridiculous opinion.

Once during the first summer of LeBron, Schopp and Bulldog wanted to talk basketball.  I called up and said look for LeBron to team with Bosh and Wade in Miami, or Bosh and Rose in Chicago.  Before I finished he cut me off and went on a rant about how stars don't want to play with other stars.  The guy is clueless.  Also please save me you analysis of my 10 year grudge.

If you want to lump me in with all the people who call WGR and not comment on the specifics of my post go ahead, but you have added nothing of value to the discussion and exposed how little your opinion is worth.

Edited by K-GunJimKelly12

3 hours ago, Radar said:

My disdain for Schopp has not a thing to do with how he feels about Josh Allen. It started way before we ever heard of Josh Allen. Realistic? No more than the other show just on the negative leaning rather than a positive leaning. Sports radio on WGR is bad across the board.

Well I have watched what the bills have done over the last 18 years, only 1 of which included a playoff berth, so I would think realistic and negative seem to make more sense to me. I assure you, when the bills are actually a real contender, Schopp and the Bull Dog will actually be positive, in a way that doesn't sound like football talk for beginners.

The problem with the Schopp's and Jeremy's of the world with respect to covering football is that analytics treats football players like the individual contributors that you get in baseball, but it doesn't equate. It doesn't equate for a team wearing on another either physically or mentally, and what that causes. Certainly doesn't account for what a guy's assignment is on a particular play call. Doesn't account for how crowd noise affects an opposing offense. doesn't account for down and distance factors like the defense knowing a passing play will likely be coming at them on 3rd and long. There are numerous other examples out there obviously.

I would have cried if they had drafted Lammar (TT2) Jackson.

Then I would have burned my seasons like almost did when they hired Wrex.(I did cancel for yr 2)

I think this regime cleverly got the best QB in this draft,

I can't wait for the game Sunday to see what Cornfed can do with the ones.

30 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

I would have cried if they had drafted Lammar (TT2) Jackson.

Then I would have burned my seasons like almost did when they hired Wrex.(I did cancel for yr 2)

I think this regime cleverly got the best QB in this draft,

I can't wait for the game Sunday to see what Cornfed can do with the ones.

...whoa...how many here said "good pick at #12"?.......no mea cuplas coming anytime soon......

3 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Exactly.

Early in that interview, Schopp said "Well the Bills have been mediocre for a lot of years".

Which of course, is true. 

I suspect the OP got pissed off right there and decided the entire segment was rubbish.

He probably looked at the standings to figure that out. We already know he doesn't watch Bills games.

• Like (+1) 2

I just think on a sports talk radio in Buffalo they should have guys on that actually like the bills and want them too do well. Its OK for him  to criticize the team when they deserve it but I get the feeling he just genuinely dislikes the bills. I could be wrong but it does make him hard to listen too.

19 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

You can say that again. Listen to the first few minutes of Schopp & Bulldog today:

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/08-20-schopp-bulldog-hour-1

Both were carrying on about how they have to make themselves watch preseason Bills games. If I was their program director and heard these two clowns admitting they don't even watch the games they have to talk about on the air, I'd have a serious meeting with them. I mean it's one thing to blow off Bills games. It's another to go on the air and brag about it! Basically admit you know nothing of what you talk about. This from "THE OFFICIAL HOME OF THE BILLS!!!" It's a freaking joke.

Dan Lebatard pretty much did the same thing with the dolphins, albeit in a more creative and funny way all the way to a national show simulcasted on ESPN news.

I think they do it in a pretty lame way, but they aren't the first sports talk radio hosts to rip on the preseason. It's not that sanctimonious

2 hours ago, wagon127 said:

Well I have watched what the bills have done over the last 18 years, only 1 of which included a playoff berth, so I would think realistic and negative seem to make more sense to me. I assure you, when the bills are actually a real contender, Schopp and the Bull Dog will actually be positive, in a way that doesn't sound like football talk for beginners.

I'm quite sure,unless you are over 80, I'm no more a "beginner " than you. As I said WGR is a joke. Period. Unless ,of course, your a "beginner". Please as a non beginner enlighten me.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, donbb said:

Schopp going on and on for 3 hours a day about how nothing is the preseason matters is pretty tiresome.

This is annoying.

Also, the day in and day out rants about his preference to throw more vs run more because you can get more yards per attempt. Duh. No thought given to the fact that defenses adjust to play calling or that the run game helps set up the pass. He’s an analytics nerd who evaluates football from a calculator. Guy would prefer to have Tyrod Taylor throw it 45 times a game than give it to Shady 25+ times. We wouldn’t have won a single game last year with him calling the plays. I think he often confuses fantasy football w real football.

I still like the show tho. I think listening to unique/different perspectives is healthy (no matter what the category) and I honestly think S & BD are good guys who each have a good sense of humor. Also, Mike knows a shizload about baseball which I enjoy.

5 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Also, there is no doubt Schopp can be rude to some callers, and a lot of folks here really dislike that.

I couldn’t care less how he treats callers. What I can’t stand about that self absorbed gasbag is how he takes his love for baseball nerdery and “analytics “ and pretends to know !@#$-all about football. That and his incessant complaining about his job. Hey Mickey, if you hate being on radio that much...step aside and make room for someone younger.

• Like (+1) 1

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
2 hours ago, joesixpack said:

I couldn’t care less how he treats callers. What I can’t stand about that self absorbed gasbag is how he takes his love for baseball nerdery and “analytics “ and pretends to know !@#$-all about football. That and his incessant complaining about his job. Hey Mickey, if you hate being on radio that much...step aside and make room for someone younger.

And that really is it.  If Sal and another knowledgeable, passionate football person were in that slot it would be a much higher quality listen.  I like Bulldog but it is obvious that he is just coasting until retirement just like Schopp.  We have a big enough market where we should have people who are actually willing to put some time off the air into their show. 

10 hours ago, Buddy Hix said:

I like Schoop and BD too. I think the hate on here comes from the type of fans that take things said about the Bills personally. I tend to agree with Schoop most of the time, so maybe I’m an arrogant !@#$ too, lol.

Shopp is smug and his opinions are stale. Criticism of the Bills is not something I take personally, and i don't like your generalization.

13 hours ago, Radar said:

I'm quite sure,unless you are over 80, I'm no more a "beginner " than you. As I said WGR is a joke. Period. Unless ,of course, your a "beginner". Please as a non beginner enlighten me.

I am not calling you a beginner. I'm calling the John Murphy show sounds like football talk for beginners.

• Like (+1) 1

I think it is time to move Schopp off the show. Give hime  a Fantasy And Betting show. He clearly has lost the passion to (if he ever had it) to talk about the real sports teams. 

If I wanted to listen abouI Fantasy or betting I would find that show to tune into. 

On 8/21/2018 at 12:05 PM, Buddy Hix said:

I like Schoop and BD too. I think the hate on here comes from the type of fans that take things said about the Bills personally. I tend to agree with Schoop most of the time, so maybe I’m an arrogant !@#$ too, lol.

I don't care one bit that they are critical of the Bills. They just know very little about football, and sometimes I wonder if they even watch the games.

And they go on hour long tangents about things that have nothing to do with sports, or really anything.

And they just seem like condescending jerks.