Mike Scopp Hacking it Up on National Radio

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

8 hours ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

They don't win when he doesn't play.  They lose to almost everybody including 2-11 San Jose State.  Allen is the only reason that team has done anything significant the last two years and he gets put down for it.

My boss' sons friend went to Wyoming last year & he told my boss that Allen had absolutely nothing to work with at Wyoming.  Said some games his top 3 receivers were walk ons due to various injuries.  Actually said they would not of won a game 3 games last year if it wasn't for Allen.

8 hours ago, White Linen said:

He's an embarrassment to himself.  

I wish this were true. Sadly, as a transplant WNYer listening to him, he represents the community. Everyone listening nationally knows he’s a Buffalo jock, so dissing on the Bills & Sabres appears as inside info..

I really don't get the hate.

I think WGR does a good job. In addition, I do NOT judge a sports talk show host by how much I agree, or disagree with them. Do you want an echo chamber? Do people watch PTI to see Guy A say something that Guy B agrees with? It'd be boring if they just repeated what you think. Mix it up! Get different opinions!

I disagree with Mike a bit, but I think he puts on a good show which is what I want. 

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Johnnycage46 said:

Agree on Jeremy White.  There are times in the AM show when I have to do a double take because I thought they moved Schopp to AM's with some of Jeremy's takes.  It is interesting to note (in my opinion anyway) that in both the morning and afternoon shows...when any of the hosts goes solo for one reason or another, they each seem to be nicer to callers and more patient/neutral in general.  It is almost as if the two duos feed off of each other and just create this bitter, angry, toxic environment. 

I WOULD stop listening all together but there really isn't any other Bills-focused daily shows (Bills Beat with Joe B and Matt Fairburn is good but only comes out every couple days...and I agree with many posters that Sal C. needs his own show!)

I would suggest downloading the Stitcher App.  I downloaded it to listen to The Tomahawk Podcast, but if you search Buffalo Bills a ton of Podcasts comes up.   Some are less than professional, but like I said, I prefer just about anything to Schoop.   At the very least the guys on those Podcasts care enough to watch preseason games. 

It is unfortunate that there is no alternative aside from choosing which time of day to listen too. Unfortunately right before Schopp and the Bulldog is the exact opposite program, John Murphy and Steve Tasker. The show that just talks about how everything is great. After listening to that show for 5-10 minutes, Schopp and the Bulldog are actually a breathe of fresh air, because they sound much more realistic. I'm sorry, but we are bashing Schopp for hating on Josh Allen, half this board was anti-Josh Allen before they drafted him. Schopp isn't the only one who didn't like the pick.

1 hour ago, Johnnycage46 said:

Because Schopp adopted 2 black children (which is a kind thing to do and in itself is not relevant...but it this case it does appear to be a factor in his bias...also his bias toward Tyrod) and he is an SJW/Beta ****. 

what a train wreck of a take. 

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Cotton Fitzsimmons said:

Aside from that, he’s definitely rude to callers and isn’t at all appreciative for the audience he has. He makes it seem as though you’ve greatly inconvenienced him by calling his show. I think it’s all part of his shtick, but it makes me want to tune out. Bulldog seems like a nice enough fellow, but mostly takes a backseat while Schopp works over the poor soul that called in and dared express an unacceptable opinion or simply delivered it in a manner that wasn’t sufficiently eloquent for Mike.

It IS his schtick, the contempt for the audience. That can work, but you’d better be consistently funny. 

In terrestrial radio, the population of your media market is ranked and often a reflection of your talent level. Buffalo is the 53rd-ranked media market. 

I would recommend two things to those who don't like the guy:

1.  Don't listen

2.  Write to his advertisers with a copy to WGR and tell them why you will not be a patron of their company.

Living out of town, I don't have to listen to him.  I have a couple times on line, and quickly stopped.  Way too caustic for me.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

all right on except the SEC has good defenses, I think you meant the Big 12.

would be better that way or with Sal  or just Sal. I don't know why GR doesn't recognize Sals talent and give him a show.

He did have a show on Saturdays but I think with him being the Bills beat reporter/sideline reporter during the season its too much...has to be at every practice/news conference/media session/game, etc

Edited by matter2003

9 hours ago, BigDingus said:

I dunno...this video that played right after with Chris Carter & Eric Mangini on the "First Thing's First" show said a lot of the same things. Allen is raw, didn't do much in college, and is similar to a lot of other failures at the position that were drafted high based on "potential."

Interesting watch nonetheless - 

The thing that stood out to me was Cris Carters comments about the long wind up, didnt sports science show that he has one of the fastest releases there is?

Also, I am not sure who the other guy was, but basically he is using what peoples perceptions were before the draft against him now, seems a lot like confirmation bias rather than analysis

Schopp and Bulldog I have found to run stale. It's the same from both your not getting anything new or exciting with them. Their high point was a decade ago. I don't even listen anymore and back in the early 2010s I called in routinely and would always try to listen.

Schopp on this one is correct though. Allen was decent to good at Wyoming, but just off his stats he would be a 2nd-3rd pick. His potential and talent is what got him drafted so high. Now yes if he would've been found by a power 5 school earlier he certainly would have more accolades and developed quicker but such is life.

1 hour ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

WGR gets too much hate. They’ve been covering a drought team for how long? That would get tiring. I dunno, they’re not perfect, but they know their stuff and run a smooth, fun program.

So the drought is the excuse for everything? Is the drought (which ended btw) a good reason to not watch Bills preseason games when the team is evaluating a potential franchise QB? I think Schoop thinks he comes off as cool because he's so blasé about Buffalo teams, but he really looks more like Billy Joe Hobert.

And you can tell Bulldog defers to Schoop. He doesn't want to challenge him at all. It's a completely different Bulldog when he's on with other co-hosts.

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

He did have a show on Saturdays but I think with him being the Bills beat reporter/sideline reporter during the season its too much...has to be at every practice/news conference/media session/game, etc

I think Sal is an independent contractor. He's got other media jobs outside of WGR and the Bills.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

So the drought is the excuse for everything? Is the drought (which ended btw) a good reason to not watch Bills preseason games when the team is evaluating a potential franchise QB? I think Schoop thinks he comes off as cool because he's so blasé about Buffalo teams, but he really looks more like Billy Joe Hobert.

And you can tell Bulldog defers to Schoop. He doesn't want to challenge him at all. It's a completely different Bulldog when he's on with other co-hosts.

I think Sal is an independent contractor. He's got other media jobs outside of WGR and the Bills.

Yes, what I said is the drought is an excuse for everything... I agree he should watch the games, I just don’t think they’re that bad on air.

Schopp is a social justice warrior. It wouldn’t surprise me that he wouldn’t like Allen because of the Twitter situation when Allen was going through puberty.

Edited by Binghamton Beast
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, jimmy10 said:

It IS his schtick, the contempt for the audience. That can work, but you’d better be consistently funny. 

In terrestrial radio, the population of your media market is ranked and often a reflection of your talent level. Buffalo is the 53rd-ranked media market. 

The 3 to 7 p.m. show hasn't been funny or creative since producer Greg Bauch left.