Mike Scopp Hacking it Up on National Radio

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

19 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I’d really like to see some elite talant in the Buffalo sport radio environment.

i mean, tank as many seasons and fire who ever you have to but this era of mediocrity needs to go. 

Schopp is the Kyle Ortin/Rob Johnson of sports talk. 

For sure,  but any talent that is elite would get hired somewhere else than a radio station in Buffalo lol. Its a catch 22 of sorts. Radio isnt what it used to be, Buffalo is a small market, so we end up with the slop, i mean Schopp

I don’t like to wish ( bad things ) to people or for someone to get hurt , but I would LOVE to hold the elevator door for him as long as there no kids of course , 

From the 1st floor to the garage 

2 hours ago, Rigotz said:

It's fine if you don't like Schopp... I don't like him either.

I also love Josh Allen.

But Josh Allen did not have a good handful of seasons at Wyoming. He didn't even make 1st team or 2nd team All Mountain West Conference at QB. All counting stats, Allen wasn't very good ... and his coach was the guy that coached Carson Wentz to a pretty dominant college career in a similarly bad conference.

The reason the Bills drafted him and some of us liked him is during the draft process and combine he got a lot better and showed improvement in mechanics ... and showed himself to be very coachable. Plus the obvious physical tools. If people strictly looked at his college career, he would be a 2nd round pick or later, at best. So ... Schopp is right in this case. There's a reason people were so angry when we drafted Allen, despite how high his ceiling is. 

tenor.gif

47 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I’d really like to see some elite talant in the Buffalo sport radio environment.

i mean, tank as many seasons and fire who ever you have to but this era of mediocrity needs to go. 

Schopp is the Kyle Ortin/Rob Johnson of sports talk. 

Orton seems like he'd be fun to listen to. 

orton-rico-mustache.jpg

Edited by Paulus

Schopp was good when he was Rochester. I think he has just become an old crumudgeon, someone who is never happy about anything. And the fact that he brags about not watching Bills games? Wow. I don't care if they are glorified practices. There's value in watching, becuase there's news and insight in it. Maybe not a lot, but something. Sal goes to every practice. Does Shcopp think he's wasting his time, too? What an insult to Sal! And for my money, Sal's the best thing on the entire station. Give me someone who cares and has some insight, not the same old tired grumbling. When I go to the WGR podcasts, I look for Sal and special guests that seem interesting. Schopp is a black cloud. I hope he has a plan B for a career, because if what happened at TBN is any indication, WGR will have to clean house sooner or later. It's just getting to be too competitive in the radio business. I mean who on the radio is closer to Sully than Shcopp? Could the end be near? Who wants to hear the radio version of Sully every friggin' day? Not me.

He keeps saying over and over and over again that pre-season is a waste of time.  Except he's totally wrong or every single NFL head coach wouldn't play the starters ever.  It doesn't take a genius to comprehend that the pre-season does matter when there's a QB competition - and that's only one reason.  

Brady threw 26 passes in his second game.  I guess it just doesn't matter and they had him do that because it's a way to waste time.  

Schoop is a fool and bulldog doesn't want to disagree with him, so the show becomes about two idiots that take on a stance and spend the show putting down anyone that disagrees.  It's so disgustingly obvious why he's championing Jackson - just come out and say it you coward.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

I just can't stand this guy.  It is one thing to be as arrogant as this guy, it is another to be as arrogant and spew nonsense on national radio like you have a clue what you are talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Va92BPfqrcQ

Schopp is a hack that openly bashed the Allen pick for months.  He would have loved Lamar Jackson at 7 but bashes the Allen pick.  He is so clueless and arrogant.  "Pretty much lousy at Wyoming", what a freaking hack.  He had a 16-9 record as a starter at Wyoming.  The 3 previous seasons before that, they were a combined 11-25.  Wyoming is a perennial loser that has a few 1 and 2 win seasons sprinkled in over the last 20 years. 
Plus in their offense they run the ball a lot and when they throw, they throw deep.  It's not like the SEC where there is no defense and the QB's are throwing 40 passes a game (a lot of short screens) to Allen's 15-20 at Wyoming.  If Allen would have been in the Big 12, he would have thrown a lot more, his completion percentage would have been higher and his bad misses wouldn't have been as magnified.  Every college QB has those throws, the only reason everyone is bagging on Allen is he wasn't in an offense that threw a ton.  People see those a few highlights of his bad passes and look at this completion percentage and think well I guess he sucks.  Not realizing that actually watching the film matters. 

That's why all the scouts and top draft guru's had him going high and idiot radio personalities and uneducated fans thought he was a bust before he threw a pass at rookie camp.  That's why is completion percentage is lower.  That and he almost every team they play against has far superior talent at other positions.

I just had to post this.  Schopp saying Allen was "pretty much lousy at Wyoming just shows how clueless he is.  They were 8-3 this year when Allen was in and he was great in winning their bowl game.  Wyoming was 0-2 without Allen last season and scored 24 points in the two games without him.  Which included a loss the San Jose State Spartans (2-11) whose only other win came against Cal Poly.  Without Allen last season, the Cowboys would have been lucky to win 4 games, but Allen was "pretty much lousy at Wyoming" because one of the more famous local radio announcers has a cushy job that requires him to do almost nothing and he saw that Allen's completion percentage was below 60 so it's settled.  Is it too hard for someone who makes a living talking about sports to do a little research before they open their mouths and say something as idiotic as "pretty much lousy at Wyoming?"

I swear to God, I was about to download the radio.com app just before 3:00 today because I wanted to hear some football talk and I said to myself, you know what, these guys aren't good enough.  Man am I glad I didn't bother to do that.  I was proven right tonight when I got home and started searching youtube for videos of people talking about Allen starting and stumbled upon this. 

Pretty much lousy at Wyoming comment is at 4:16

all right on except the SEC has good defenses, I think you meant the Big 12.

3 hours ago, Johnnycage46 said:

I honestly think Schopp will be miserable if the Bills become consistently good.  He is a crap person and the 3 PM show on WGR was so much more palatable last week when he was on vacation. 

would be better that way or with Sal  or just Sal. I don't know why GR doesn't recognize Sals talent and give him a show.

1 hour ago, mykidsdad said:

Schopp was good when he was Rochester. I think he has just become an old crumudgeon, someone who is never happy about anything. And the fact that he brags about not watching Bills games? Wow. I don't care if they are glorified practices. There's value in watching, becuase there's news and insight in it. Maybe not a lot, but something. Sal goes to every practice. Does Shcopp think he's wasting his time, too? What an insult to Sal! And for my money, Sal's the best thing on the entire station. Give me someone who cares and has some insight, not the same old tired grumbling. When I go to the WGR podcasts, I look for Sal and special guests that seem interesting. Schopp is a black cloud. I hope he has a plan B for a career, because if what happened at TBN is any indication, WGR will have to clean house sooner or later. It's just getting to be too competitive in the radio business. I mean who on the radio is closer to Sully than Shcopp? Could the end be near? Who wants to hear the radio version of Sully every friggin' day? Not me.

preach brother !! Sal is the man !!

38 minutes ago, White Linen said:

He keeps saying over and over and over again that pre-season is a waste of time.  Except he's totally wrong or every single NFL head coach wouldn't play the starters ever.  It doesn't take a genius to comprehend that the pre-season does matter when there's a QB competition - and that's only one reason.  

Brady threw 26 passes in his second game.  I guess it just doesn't matter and they had him do that because it's a way to waste time.  

Schoop is a fool and bulldog doesn't want to disagree with him, so the show becomes about two idiots that take on a stance and spend the show putting down anyone that disagrees.  It's so disgustingly obvious why he's championing Jackson - just come out and say it you coward.  

I'm no Schopp fan but why is it disgustingly obvious? And what do you think his reason is?

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, mykidsdad said:

It's just getting to be too competitive in the radio business.

Not in the locally based Buffalo sports radio market. 

He's got no ambition.  Seems to live the life of a college student.  Has a ton of time on his hands to do things that are fun to him.  I'm pretty sure he's in 150 fantasy football leagues.................His wife is the breadwinner. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, tumaro02 said:

I agree with this post and am glad he said it so correctly. I don't listen to their show anymore because of it. Thankfully it gives me a good break from listening to WGR most of the day.

after one bills live ends at 3, i switch to 950 am (espn rochester) and listen to danger and battaglia.  they are just as thorough with the bills and better all around.

5 hours ago, Paulus said:

Orton seems like he'd be fun to listen to. 

orton-rico-mustache.jpg

Until the day Orton decides he's had enough of broadcasting, and retires without telling anyone.  Then the station will have to play those recorded 'Greatest Moments in Sports' everyone was kvetching over.

7 hours ago, Rigotz said:

It's fine if you don't like Schopp... I don't like him either.

I also love Josh Allen.

But Josh Allen did not have a good handful of seasons at Wyoming. He didn't even make 1st team or 2nd team All Mountain West Conference at QB. All counting stats, Allen wasn't very good ... and his coach was the guy that coached Carson Wentz to a pretty dominant college career in a similarly bad conference.

The reason the Bills drafted him and some of us liked him is during the draft process and combine he got a lot better and showed improvement in mechanics ... and showed himself to be very coachable. Plus the obvious physical tools. If people strictly looked at his college career, he would be a 2nd round pick or later, at best. So ... Schopp is right in this case. There's a reason people were so angry when we drafted Allen, despite how high his ceiling is. 

Carson Wentz played at the FCS level. 

3 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

preach brother !! Sal is the man !!

I'm no Schopp fan but why is it disgustingly obvious? And what do you think his reason is?

Because Schopp adopted 2 black children (which is a kind thing to do and in itself is not relevant...but it this case it does appear to be a factor in his bias...also his bias toward Tyrod) and he is an SJW/Beta ****. 

• Like (+1) 1

Not sure why people listen anymore.  Just too much NFL content to choose from to bother with them.  Aside from Sal and Howard Simon there is no reason to listen to wgr anymore.

On the Schoop issue, and it's been beaten to death, plain and simple he is an elitist.  There are a few reasons he liked Lamar Jackson, and none of them had to do with his actual play.   I was done with this guy a long time ago, but I refuse to listen after his race fueled Tyrod/Kaepernick rant last year.

If you think its part of his "on air personality" youd be wrong.  The guy thinks he is above the average fan, and Jeremy White is quickly becoming his clone.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, brianthomas said:

For sure,  but any talent that is elite would get hired somewhere else than a radio station in Buffalo lol. Its a catch 22 of sorts. Radio isnt what it used to be, Buffalo is a small market, so we end up with the slop, i mean Schopp

I know, you’re right.  I’m sort of playing off of their schtick about bills and Sabres needing to tank for Eichle and perpetual QB bashing. Watch how they revise history on Allen if he works out. 

I still have no clue how someone ever interviewed them for this job they have and said, yep, you’ll do. 

They arent sports fans, I’m guessing neither can actually throw a football or a baseball or shoot a free throw, etc. 

it would be nice if GR booted them for some young up and comers that are a little more interested in sports and are actually interesting and providing insight. It be nice if someone was more appreciative and engaging to callers. I’d certainly listen more. 

Maybe the pay is lousey so it’s hard to find talent that wants the job? 

3 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Not sure why people listen anymore.  Just too much NFL content to choose from to bother with them.  Aside from Sal and Howard Simon there is no reason to listen to wgr anymore.

On the Schoop issue, and it's been beaten to death, plain and simple he is an elitist.  There are a few reasons he liked Lamar Jackson, and none of them had to do with his actual play.   I was done with this guy a long time ago, but I refuse to listen after his race fueled Tyrod/Kaepernick rant last year.

If you think its part of his "on air personality" youd be wrong.  The guy thinks he is above the average fan, and Jeremy White is quickly becoming his clone.

Agree on Jeremy White.  There are times in the AM show when I have to do a double take because I thought they moved Schopp to AM's with some of Jeremy's takes.  It is interesting to note (in my opinion anyway) that in both the morning and afternoon shows...when any of the hosts goes solo for one reason or another, they each seem to be nicer to callers and more patient/neutral in general.  It is almost as if the two duos feed off of each other and just create this bitter, angry, toxic environment. 

I WOULD stop listening all together but there really isn't any other Bills-focused daily shows (Bills Beat with Joe B and Matt Fairburn is good but only comes out every couple days...and I agree with many posters that Sal C. needs his own show!)

• Like (+1) 1