Ravens will be without top CB Jimmy Smith week 1

YoloinOhio

16 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Ravens return all 11 starters on D? It’s going to be a tough test for Allen. Good coaches with extra time to prepare. I hate playing Baltimore week .

Curious - are they running the same scheme as last year? Their DC Dean Pees left and “retired” (then resurfaced elsewhere)

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Curious - are they running the same scheme as last year? Their DC Dean Pees left and “retired” (then resurfaced elsewhere)

For some reason I think I recall reading that they promoted from within.  If so, it stands to reason the defense would at least be similar.

"Dean Pees" is a great name, by the way.  :lol:

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, eball said:

For some reason I think I recall reading that they promoted from within.  If so, it stands to reason the defense would at least be similar.

"Dean Pees" is a great name, by the way.  :lol:

It’s LB coach Don Martindale

https://www.google.com/amp/www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bs-sp-preston-column-martindale-0111-story,amp.html

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Yeah I forgot about Peas leaving Baltimore. From a quick glance I gathered that Harbaugh promoted from within to keep the same schemes. Sounds like they are high on Martindale. 

Hopefully his first game is his worst game. Smith being out would help. 

8 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Yeah I forgot about Peas leaving Baltimore. From a quick glance I gathered that Harbaugh promoted from within to keep the same schemes. Sounds like they are high on Martindale. 

Hopefully his first game is his worst game. Smith being out would help. 

The fans loathed  Dean Pees from what i gather and think martindale is a huge upgrade 

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

The fans loathed  Dean Pees from what i gather and think martindale is a huge upgrade 

Yea my understanding is by the end Pees was not liked. They said the ending of the Bengals week 17 disaster was par for the course all season. Ravens defense would be doing fine and aggressive...only for the fourth quarter Pees to call very vanilla and conservative plays that went against everything their defense was doing.

5 hours ago, corta765 said:

Yea my understanding is by the end Pees was not liked. They said the ending of the Bengals week 17 disaster was par for the course all season. Ravens defense would be doing fine and aggressive...only for the fourth quarter Pees to call very vanilla and conservative plays that went against everything their defense was doing.

The fans never liked Pees because of his bend/don't break style of defense.  They are used to and want the attack style defense from the past and think that Wink Martindale will bring some of that back.  I think the thing about Smith being out is kinda huge, but not.  Don't overlook Marlon Humphrey, who actually had a really good rookie year last year.