Josh Allen to start Sunday

FluffHead

6 minutes ago, kirkwoodus13 said:

Yes I do believe Peterman is the better player right now. He looks to have command of the offense right now. Of course Allen has the better arm, but I feel Peterman quick decision making is better right now, especially behind an shaky offensive that just got a QB INJURED. I don't know if this wise right now. If ALLEN gets hurt on Sunday then what?

It's because of that shaky o line where i think Allen gives us the better chance for success. Peterman would get killed out there & the pressure would force him to make bad throws & throw 5 INT's again. Allen looked poised when the line broke down & has the ability to scramble & throw with accuracy on the run. Your reason for picking Nate with the o line is the very reason why picking Nate would be a mistake.

Edited by brianthomas
  • Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, kirkwoodus13 said:

Peterman looked pretty good against the backups in Cleveland. Considering he was a six round pick, you could see he was better than any defender from the Browns. It was like the game was easy for him playing against that level of competition. Base on that I would like to see him get some snaps with the ones against the Bengals. Peterman has had an impressive preseason, but I guess that counts for nothing. Shouldn't the best player play? Right now he is better than Allen. You can always bench Peterman and go the  rookie. I still think Peterman starts at the Ravens

The Ravens led the NFL in interceptions last year. Peterman's slow velocity ball almost cost him a pick six vs the Browns. Peterman's physical limitations simply does not pass the eyeball test vs the Ravens "ball hawk" defense.

If the Bills have any thoughts of going back to the playoffs, that Raven's game is a practically one of those "must win" games for them because it's winnable with Allen starting. I just would not any chance of them winning with Peterman.

We shall see how this plays out.

• Like (+1) 2

Josh Allen Named Starter for Bills Third Preseason Game

The quarterback rotation continues in practice this week, but come game time on Sunday against the Cincinnati Bengals, it will be Josh Allen who will start.

The Bills made a team announcement early Monday evening.

Head coach Sean McDermott did confirm that as the team moves into the middle of the week that practices will more closely resemble a regular season game week.

“We’ll start to move into a little bit of a blend of [this being] a normal week as we prepare,” he said. “Our players can get acclimated to the routine of a normal, regular season week.”

Through his first two preseason games, Allen has completed 18 of 32 passes for 176 yards and two touchdowns with a passer rating of 92.7. Sunday will mark the first time he’ll be facing an NFL team’s starting defense, as he faced largely second teamers at Cleveland and third teamers in the preseason opener.

I've got nothing against them seeing what Allen can do against the ones, but unless he shows that he's way ahead of schedule I fear that he can get ruined by getting his confidence wrecked. I'm an old dude, but I've been watching the NFL for a long time and have seen a lot of young QB's get their confidence shot by taking big hits because they weren't ready to start. If he lights it up against Cincy, fine, start him against the Ravens. If he doesn't look ready, then I hope McD let's him watch and learn (at least until we have an injury or are out of playoff contention). It's likely that one of those scenarios play out this year anyway. I think Peterman IS ahead of Allen at this point but his ceiling is obviously lower. In his second year, Peterman SHOULD be ahead of Allen in terms of being ready to play... And enough with the 5 pick half. Peterman seems to be the only one that isn't thinking about it anymore. He should be a good eventual back up to Allen. If JA is going to grow to be what his potential is, we can wait a few games. He looks like the real deal. Remember, you gotta let a good marinara simmer for while to let it reach it's full potential!

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Mr Mellow said:

I've got nothing against them seeing what Allen can do against the ones, but unless he shows that he's way ahead of schedule I fear that he can get ruined by getting his confidence wrecked. I'm an old dude, but I've been watching the NFL for a long time and have seen a lot of young QB's get their confidence shot by taking big hits because they weren't ready to start. If he lights it up against Cincy, fine, start him against the Ravens. If he doesn't look ready, then I hope McD let's him watch and learn (at least until we have an injury or are out of playoff contention). It's likely that one of those scenarios play out this year anyway. I think Peterman IS ahead of Allen at this point but his ceiling is obviously lower. In his second year, Peterman SHOULD be ahead of Allen in terms of being ready to play... And enough with the 5 pick half. Peterman seems to be the only one that isn't thinking about it anymore. He should be a good eventual back up to Allen. If JA is going to grow to be what his potential is, we can wait a few games. He looks like the real deal. Remember, you gotta let a good marinara simmer for while to let it reach it's full potential!

So we are sure that Peterman (who DID throw 5 picks in a half) will be mentally tough enough if things go south but Allen will be wrecked? Do Peterman’s 52 career pass attempts really make him that far ahead?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

While I am very encouraged by Allen’s play so far, playing behind that 1st OL against a 1st team NFL defense could bring him down.  

The combination of problems on the OL and a weak receiving group is a bad combination for an inexperienced rookie who likely needs extra processing time and time/space to continue improving his mechanics.  

Couldn't that also happen with Peterman? It's not like he has a great deal of experience. Any QB is likely to have a tough time starting this season, so you go with the most talented.

He sat for most of a full season, practicing daily. So, in a word, yes. I think he's ahead of JA right now. Allen will play this year, but we may be throwing him to the wolves UNLESS he's ready. Let's see what he does against the ones. AND...I hope Cincy throws the kitchen sink at him (or least some exotic schemes). If he plays even reasonably well, then start JA...

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, kirkwoodus13 said:

Yes I do believe Peterman is the better player right now. He looks to have command of the offense right now. Of course Allen has the better arm, but I feel Peterman quick decision making is better right now, especially behind an shaky offensive that just got a QB INJURED. I don't know if this wise right now. If ALLEN gets hurt on Sunday then what?

You, right now....

Image result for worried grandma

Edited by OJ Tom
  • Like (+1) 1

Excellent move by the Bills,  give him 3 quarters and move forward.  Peterman is a loser choice,  the guy should have be released after throwing 5 pics in one half last season.  We need to get the Allen area started and no time better then now.  Even if he has developing so so rookie year,  the Bills are in great shape cap wise to surround him with better talent next season.  I still think they could use an proven outside speed burner who can stretch the field.  This alone will open up our running game.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Nice. If he stinks, then I bet Peterman starts the season. If he’s plays well, I think it’s Allen time.

I think this is correct. I’m excited for Allen to get the start and he is the future but why all the Peterman bashing. Shouldn’t we be happy that our backup QB is progressing well?

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1