Horrible Harry Ready to Make an Impact with Kyle Williams Out

Buffalo Bills' Harrison Phillips Ready to Make Impact with Kyle Williams Out

Orchard Park, N.Y. -- The story of what Kyle Williams means to the Buffalo Bills defense can't be told using just his contributions between the lines.

"Kyle is our leader and our rallying cry," said Bills defensive end Eddie Yarbrough.
Williams went down against the Cleveland in the Bills' second preseason game when a Browns player fell into his knee while trying to execute a block. At first, fans feared the worst, but Bills coach Sean McDermott said no surgery is required and Williams is week-to-week.

But with Williams out for at least the immediate future, who will fill his role?

Enter rookie Harrison Phillips.

Much as I love K. Williams, and as much as it sucked seeming him go down, and as much as he's a leader of the defense and the team, and as much as I feel like a blasphemer for saying what I'm about to say...I don't think the defense will miss him much if at all.

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

I think Philips is more of a plugger than Kyle but less dynamic, which should help with the run defense.

I'm all for a plugger in that part of the field.

Take away the two A gaps and force the offense to go around.  That's all that guy needs to do.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, GoBills808 said:

Much as I love K. Williams, and as much as it sucked seeming him go down, and as much as he's a leader of the defense and the team, and as much as I feel like a blasphemer for saying what I'm about to say...I don't think the defense will miss him much if at all.

No, Kyle can still play and will be missed it he is out long. What will be missed is if Star doesn't step up his game when the season starts.

5 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

1 minute ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

No, Kyle can still play and will be missed it he is out long. What will be missed is if Star doesn't step up his game when the season starts.

I think Kyle's overall effectiveness will not be difficult to replace (the same I felt about Wood and Incognito).  Hopefully, he'll be able to travel with the team and be on the sidelines; his leadership is what would be missed most, IMO.

And yes .... Star needs to shine a tad brighter, for sure.

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I think Kyle's overall effectiveness will not be difficult to replace (the same I felt about Wood and Incognito).  Hopefully, he'll be able to travel with the team and be on the sidelines; his leadership is what would be missed most, IMO.

I think we are really missing Ritchie and Wood, and would miss Kyle too.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Gugny said:

How's that working out?

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I'm not sure.  The Bills haven't played a game, yet.

Will we ever be sure? It's also a totally different scheme now.

However, I don't think you'll find any sane person saying Ducasse is just as effective as Incognito.