Is Josh Allen having the best rookie Bills QB preseason ever?

2 minutes ago, eball said:

Of course I'm a homer -- this is my team!  And I take none of it personally; I actually empathize with those of you who need to prove yourselves right all the time.

Man is this how I sound like when I was a homer?  Because it’s awful!  ? 

Serious question, what did you say about EJ’s rookie preseason?  Because I know I was sounding like how people are sounding about Allen’s preseason this year (and there’s nothing wrong with that).

Surprise surprise!

A crusade thread.

Btw yeah everybody was excited about EJ's preseason... But it's pretty obvious before it even started Allen is a better prospect, and now that it's underway it's pretty obvious Allen passes the "eye test" much better than EJ.

I don't understand why people are so emotional about it quite frankly. Who cares if you were wrong about a prospect? Just be happy that there's a chance we have a franchuse QB.

• Thank you (+1) 3

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Serious question, what did you say about EJ’s rookie preseason?  Because I know I was sounding like how people are sounding about Allen’s preseason this year (and there’s nothing wrong with that).

I was probably optimistic; why wouldn't I have been?

30 minutes ago, Shotgunner said:

Surprise surprise!

A crusade thread.

Btw yeah everybody was excited about EJ's preseason... But it's pretty obvious before it even started Allen is a better prospect, and now that it's underway it's pretty obvious Allen passes the "eye test" much better than EJ.

I don't understand why people are so emotional about it quite frankly. Who cares if you were wrong about a prospect? Just be happy that there's a chance we have a franchuse QB.

i'm willing to generically get excited about any new qb prospect just because it means the search might finally be over.  if allen sucks, he sucks.  pick another qb and try again.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Very solid start for him.  Definitely looks the part.  The moment doesn’t seem to big for him.  18-32 (56%) for 176 yards, 5.5 ypa, 2 tds, and 47 yards rushing.  I can’t remember having a big guy who could move like that in forever.  

The only rookie QB I could remember with a similar start (totally blanking on his name, props to someone if they can remember it!) was a guy through 2 games his first preseason:  26-33 (79%) for 199 yards, 6 ypa, 2 tds, 0 ints, and 29 yards rushing.

but it’s pretty clear.  We FINALLY have our Kelly replacement.  Trust the process!!!

P.S. what a terrible Bills fan I am for not remembering that qb’s name!!! ? someone please help me out!

In fairness that start for EJ was very much scheme aided.

They were running up-tempo no-huddle stuff which made for very simplified reads.

It was a great idea but just hard to sustain full time without extraordinary defensive depth.

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

Shaw got hurt.  If he hadn't and teamed up with OJ we'd have had quite the offense.

Whoa, I have to totally disagree with that. Shaw had no arm, the opposite of JA. All he could throw were floaters, hence his very high interception rate; not only in the pro's, but going back to his college years.

One of the best trades the Bills ever made was Dennis Shaw for Ahmad Rashad.

7 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

In fairness that start for EJ was very much scheme aided.

They were running up-tempo no-huddle stuff which made for very simplified reads.

It was a great idea but just hard to sustain full time without extraordinary defensive depth.

Fair point.  It’s also EJ played relatively well for a rookie qb his first couple of games.  

Either way, it seems like it’s Allen’s job to lose.  The whole point of this is just to show much different the preseason is than the regular season. 

1 hour ago, jabu said:

Whoa, I have to totally disagree with that. Shaw had no arm, the opposite of JA. All he could throw were floaters, hence his very high interception rate; not only in the pro's, but going back to his college years.

One of the best trades the Bills ever made was Dennis Shaw for Ahmad Rashad.

I am not comparing their physical skills directly.  Shaw was really good as a rookie and it would have been interesting to see how things would have gone had he not gotten hurt.

4 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Bad Qbs can get lucky and have some incredible early success until DCs learn how to game plan them.

Not that I think Josh Allen is a bad QB but the statement is absolutely true.   What DC’s will eventually have trouble with is Allen’s arm talent.  

4 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Very solid start for him.  Definitely looks the part.  The moment doesn’t seem to big for him.  18-32 (56%) for 176 yards, 5.5 ypa, 2 tds, and 47 yards rushing.  I can’t remember having a big guy who could move like that in forever.  

The only rookie QB I could remember with a similar start (totally blanking on his name, props to someone if they can remember it!) was a guy through 2 games his first preseason:  26-33 (79%) for 199 yards, 6 ypa, 2 tds, 0 ints, and 29 yards rushing.

but it’s pretty clear.  We FINALLY have our Kelly replacement.  Trust the process!!!

P.S. what a terrible Bills fan I am for not remembering that qb’s name!!! ? someone please help me out!

You have literally just ice bucketed me... 

fair- this situation is ooozing with parallels...

- having to pick a qb

- vet plan A getting hurt

- potentially a sham QB competition thatreally only has one outcome 

The thing i think that is standing out about Allen are the types of unscripted plays he’s making. But I get it your point.  Im sure Trent was a camp/preseason superstar too. 

I guess what is happening is everyone said he was inaccurate which is unfixable and then he has made elite nfl level accurate throws... 

next game should tell us a lot if he starts 

3 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Im guilty- bought a #3 jersey and everything 

i wont be doing that again 

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Wasnt he Offensive rookie of the year and in a few more fizzled out.

How about Vince Young, he was offensive rookie of the year and look where he landed, even JP Losman once healthy and had his best year when he had a ful season under him.  

Bad Qbs can get lucky and have some incredible early success until DCs learn how to game plan them.

...Jesus, Allen in the same sentence as those two?.....worse than North Korea's Kim Jong Dong feeding his uncle to starved dogs.............

Well, Johnny Green looked pretty good. But at the time, he was the ONLY Player we had..

Trent (Cap’n Checkdown) had an exciting 1st training camp. As did Dennis Shaw. But nothing, NOTHING I say- will ever compare to the unemployed QB from the Houston Gamblers/NJ Generals in ‘86.

5 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Haha, got me!

Just a reminder that it’s ok to get excited but the preseason really is meaningless (though it’s so awesome to have football back).  

Disagre... it’s not the stats, it’s the way he does it -defenders in his face, showing poise and ability to climb in the pocket, and not having slow as !@#$ eyes

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, ThunderGun said:

Disagre... it’s not the stats, it’s the way he does it -defenders in his face, showing poise and ability to climb in the pocket, and not having slow as !@#$ eyes

Amen. This thread proves once again that stats are for losers.

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

I am not comparing their physical skills directly.  Shaw was really good as a rookie and it would have been interesting to see how things would have gone had he not gotten hurt.

I don't remember an injury being that significant. Even in his ROY season he had 10 TD's to 20 Interceptions. He finished his career with 35 TD's to 68 Interceptions. He had trouble reading defenses and floated his passes.