THE ROCKPILE REVIEW - Dreams

Shaw66

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Good post Shaw. My dream sees Josh beating Darnold just like Jim beat Dan. Once the B's are finally gone we can reclaim the AFCE and more...someday we'll all walk into that corn field and see a Championship on the other side...

Haha! Wish I'd thought of that.  Nice. 

10 hours ago, Ayjent said:

Last year was nice, but I'm still in the wait and see mode with the GM and coach.  They've done a lot of things I don't really understand: 

• they put the team in a bit of a talent deficit getting rid of guys like Glenn, Tyrod, Watkins, Dareus and letting other guys move on
  • they amassed a lot of draft picks but then used a lot of them to move up for Allen
  • they haven't addressed the OL enough and I don't understand why they think Juan Castillo is a good OL coach.

Last year was the honeymoon, now its time to see if the marriage is worthwhile.

Dream, pal, dream.

If losing those guys created such a talent deficit, why did the team do 9-7.  Why not give the Beane and McDermott credit for figuring out they could win without those guys.

Do you not like Allen?  If you do, why are you disappointed that the Bills traded picks to get him?

They can't address the entire roster all at once.  Can't.  

McDermott was quick to can Dennison.  McDermott must see some things in Castillo that you don't. 

But none of that is the point.  The point is that seeing Allen makes me dream of what could be.  

I believe we have a HC and a GM. It's starting to look like we may have a franchise QB. We have awesome owners. You don't have to dream. You can see it in this team. Upgrading weight room is serious. 

I never expect Rome to be built in a day but you can see Rome is being built. You can just see the results. It won't be very long my friend. The Bills are going to be owning the division and beyond. 

23 minutes ago, Lfod said:

I believe we have a HC and a GM. It's starting to look like we may have a franchise QB. We have awesome owners. You don't have to dream. You can see it in this team. Upgrading weight room is serious. 

I never expect Rome to be built in a day but you can see Rome is being built. You can just see the results. It won't be very long my friend. The Bills are going to be owning the division and beyond. 

It looks that way to me, too.  But it's way, way too early to bank it.  

Dreams! I’m in my early 50s. None of really knows how much time we have left; we are not guaranteed a tomorrow! I don’t dream much. Maybe because in life more often than not you are left disappointed.

In two short appearances Josh Allen has “wowed” me! Obviously the 2 touchdowns. But it’s been the other things too. The poise, athleticism, accuracy and decision making have beyond his experience. That incompletion to Thomas at the end of the first half was impressive. He bought time escaping to his right and fired a bullet toward Logan Thomas who had a defender on him with his back to Allen. He couldn’t get set enough to fully jump and pull the ball in, only touching it with one hand. What a throw in that situation. It’s my guy or no one! Hauschka then kicks the field goal.

I keep telling myself don’t dream. Not yet. No, there may not be a tomorrow! I’m going to dream!! And dream BIG!!!!

Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Bring it said:

Dreams! I’m in my early 50s. None of really knows how much time we have left; we are not guaranteed a tomorrow! I don’t dream much. Maybe because in life more often than not you are left disappointed.

In two short appearances Josh Allen has “wowed” me! Obviously the 2 touchdowns. But it’s been the other things too. The poise, athleticism, accuracy and decision making have beyond his experience. That incompletion to Thomas at the end of the first half was impressive. He bought time escaping to his right and fired a bullet toward Logan Thomas who had a defender on him with his back to Allen. He couldn’t get set enough to fully jump and pull the ball in, only touching it with one hand. What a throw in that situation. It’s my guy or no one! Hauschka then kicks the field goal.

I keep telling myself don’t dream. Not yet. No, there may not be a tomorrow! I’m going to dream!! And dream BIG!!!!

Go Bills!

Yes Thomas in the end zone.  

And Holmes on the right sideline for the first down. And a dozen more. 

Impressive. 

12 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Dream, pal, dream.

If losing those guys created such a talent deficit, why did the team do 9-7.  Why not give the Beane and McDermott credit for figuring out they could win without those guys.

Do you not like Allen?  If you do, why are you disappointed that the Bills traded picks to get him?

They can't address the entire roster all at once.  Can't.  

McDermott was quick to can Dennison.  McDermott must see some things in Castillo that you don't. 

But none of that is the point.  The point is that seeing Allen makes me dream of what could be.  

I will give McDermott a lot of credit for the 9-7 record, but here are a couple of things about that record: 

• Tyrod was the QB and he limited turnovers which helped the Turnover Differential a lot - the defense was very opportunistic - chances are that the current roster of QBs and the defense are not going to keep that differential where it was (these things have a tendency to even out)
  • After trading Dareus there was a dropoff defensively against the run and the team was in a 3 game tail spin for various reasons, but it coincided with the Dareus trade
  • The coaching on the OL was very problematic in that 3 game tail spin and as much as people want to blame the QB, the interior line was really to blame for the Offensive problems - moreover, the OL lost its best two remaining players after the Glenn trade - Dawkins is now the best player on the line, and Beane didn't do much to address these positions outside of Bodine and a couple of UDFAs.
  • Yes Dennison was quickly canned, but I still think the loyalty to Castillo based on their long history of coaching together is given too much of a pass - we shall see.  To me this is the biggest problem the Bills have and nothing works well Offensively without a decent line with decent coaching - I'm not sure that they have either with Wood, Glenn and Incognito gone and Castillo as coach with the Bills wasn't good last year.  Maybe Castillo is on a short leash this year - I don't know, but I saw a significant drop off and I'm not sure how much of that had to do with Dennison.

I wasn't a big fan of them drafting Allen - but he has looked decent so I'm cautiously optimistic.  I thought that they had a real shot in the draft of addressing many, many positions with all of their picks and thought that they should have kept Tyrod  or gone after Bridgewater as the bridge QB - instead they used a lot of what they had amassed to move up to get Allen - so yeah they couldn't address everything they would have liked to because they made one gaping hole that they had to fill with a high risk and high cost (and I get it to some degree - they didn't see Tyrod as the long term guy, but they hit a hard reset rather than a smooth transition - and there is a possibility it may come up snake eyes).  Again, it may all work out in the long term- but I'm not that optimistic about this season because of the OL and the inexperience at QB.

I agree that they have a more measured plan now and I don't discount that they are getting rid of talented guys that have value around the league but don't necessarily fit that well with their plan or are just too expensive for what they provide to the team. One thing seems better though - the cohesiveness of the plan and the head coach seems to garner respect from the team as opposed to the last two coaches which I think had their issues and the former GM that really didn't seem to have any idea beyond win now regardless of the longterm costs.

Edited by Ayjent
  • Like (+1) 1