Breakdown: Josh Allen Touchdown to WR Rod Streater

elroy16

https://player.vimeo.com/video/285647672

I'm not sure if this video has been posted yet, I looked down a few pages and didn't see it. 

First, what a tremendous play. Taking a bad snap, dodging quick pressure, and making an accurate throw.

Looking at it more closely though, it's even more impressive. The Browns are baiting him into a quick throw to Streater, but he eyes the safety and doesn't go for it. Then after the pressure and a quick look at his second read, he steps up in the pocket, looks right to his third read, presumably Holmes who should be coming into the middle of the field, then quickly looks left back to his first read and hits Streater.

Lastly, while he's stepping up, he's going to the right of Miller. As soon as the defender starts breaking that way, he cuts back to the left towards the end zone before throwing the ball. It's a good thing he threw it too, because I don't think he would have got in as another defending was filling that gap. Very quick and impressive awareness considering what was happening around him.

For someone that needs to work on going through his progressions, he sure made going through his first 3 reads, back to his first receiver, while under a lot of pressure, look pretty easy. 

As always, good stuff from https://twitter.com/Cover_1_

I was pissed on draft night as someone in the "Anyone but Allen" group, but he's already got me on the bandwagon. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, HT02 said:

Very good play I agree but the throw was a little late and behind the receiver.  I was very impressed with Allen

And, if he hadn’t wasted so much time dodging defenders and going through every possible receiving option, he would have had more time on his next drive to get a touchdown before the half, instead of settling for a field goal....?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 5

This guy is everything you want in a QB. mobile but plays from the pocket. Steps up in the pocket a lot and he goes through progressions. Probably the strongest arm in the game. He just needs experience and he will quickly become a franchise QB. 

Edited by 17 Josh Allen

4 hours ago, elroy16 said:

https://player.vimeo.com/video/285647672

I'm not sure if this video has been posted yet, I looked down a few pages and didn't see it. 

First, what a tremendous play. Taking a bad snap, dodging quick pressure, and making an accurate throw.

Looking at it more closely though, it's even more impressive. The Browns are baiting him into a quick throw to Streater, but he eyes the safety and doesn't go for it. Then after the pressure and a quick look at his second read, he steps up in the pocket, looks right to his third read, presumably Holmes who should be coming into the middle of the field, then quickly looks left back to his first read and hits Streater.

Lastly, while he's stepping up, he's going to the right of Miller. As soon as the defender starts breaking that way, he cuts back to the left towards the end zone before throwing the ball. It's a good thing he threw it too, because I don't think he would have got in as another defending was filling that gap. Very quick and impressive awareness considering what was happening around him.

For someone that needs to work on going through his progressions, he sure made going through his first 3 reads, back to his first receiver, while under a lot of pressure, look pretty easy. 

As always, good stuff from https://twitter.com/Cover_1_

I was pissed on draft night as someone in the "Anyone but Allen" group, but he's already got me on the bandwagon. 

He looks like he’s playing street ball out there, except it’s against pros. 

I think all all of those years of running for his life at Wyoming has already slowed the game down a bit for him.

pump faked another rusher into jumping then ran around him at one point.

using eyes to manipulate coverage. 

There is a lot to like.

So far I’m glad McBean was drafting and not me! 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, HT02 said:

Very good play I agree but the throw was a little late and behind the receiver.  I was very impressed with Allen

Late by nanoseconds, maybe. C'mon!  It's not like Streator had to reach behind. He turned to face Allen and the ball was there.  It's a tricky throw to make without pressure. It's an un-freakin-believable throw to make while dodging missiles!

EDIT: I just re-watched the video. That pass couldn't have been more perfect. Late my ass.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Haha (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Late by nanoseconds, maybe. C'mon!  It's not like Streator had to reach behind. He turned to face Allen and the ball was there.  It's a tricky throw to make without pressure. It's an un-freakin-believable throw to make while dodging missiles!

EDIT: I just re-watched the video. That pass couldn't have been more perfect. Late my ass.

We don’t like your ass but your point is perfect :D

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, elroy16 said:

Not to hijack the thread, but just a note that the internet is one of the best things to happen to sports. I have no idea who Cover 1 is, but little video snippets like that are are great. Much like I enjoy the All 22 reviews. These folks get no audience without the internet, and they offer stuff far better than I'm ever going to get by subscribing to BN, etc.

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/20/2018 at 3:55 PM, eball said:

:doh:

You're right it was perfect I said it was very good, and he was impressive why the stupid sarcasm?

On 8/20/2018 at 11:44 AM, billsfan1959 said:

And, if he hadn’t wasted so much time dodging defenders and going through every possible receiving option, he would have had more time on his next drive to get a touchdown before the half, instead of settling for a field goal....?

I'm sorry you're right it was perfect.

I said it was very good, and he was impressive why the stupid sarcasm?

On 8/20/2018 at 6:21 PM, Boca BIlls said:

Stupidity at its finest. 

You're right it was perfect I said it was very good, and he was impressive why do you feel compelled to insult?  Does it make you feel better about yourself.  Nothing I said was inaccurate.  It appears my standard for great is a little higher than yours.  Very good is still very good.