Why Josh Allen’s greatness is not what the pundits like

BisonMan

OK, calling Allen “great” is a bit premature to say the least. However, as I’ve watched the pundits and football analysts, they are so consumed with his arm-cannon that they can’t see what traits will make him truly a great quarterback. In no particular order…

The Poise

Watching Allen in his limited pre-season action and some of his college games, something has struck me. He seems to be very poised for a young QB. He’s had poor offensive line play in front of him for the last several years, but he doesn’t seem to have the “happy feet” that a lot of young guys have. So far, on the surface, the NFL stage does not appear “too big” for him. “Panic” does not seem to be in his dictionary. We haven’t seen “live bullets” yet but early indications look good.

The Smarts

It’s well reported that Josh Allen scored very highly on the Wonderlic test before the draft. He comes across as a very intelligent guy in interviews. Even the recent Jalen Ramsey comments were sloughed off as “he doesn’t play for my team”, so gives a f#$K what he says. Allen should have no problems taking in an NFL playbook and knowing exactly where everyone should be on every play. This is not something to take lightly. Knowing the playbook innately makes it easier for young QBs to focus on other areas of their game, like calling audibles and reading coverages. It appears from just the Cleveland game, that Josh Allen is well on his way in doing this. That was not an easy defense to read pre-snap or post-snap. He seemed to handle that with ease. He also showed the Poise to take what they gave him instead of relying on “that big arm”.

The Work Ethic

This is one area that all NFL quarterbacks are expected to excel. A strong work ethic is critical to NFL QB success. First in, last out every day is the way of the NFL QB. Josh Allen’s background (growing up on a farm) and his struggles to improve enough for college teams to take him seriously shows a strong work ethic. People knock Allen for his accuracy issues in college. The one factor that will most likely lead to a QB correcting this fault is work ethic. Combined with his Smarts, Allen could be a more ready to take the reins that a lot of pundits give him credit for. That work ethic will help him for his entire career.

The Chip

Tom Brady was drafted in the 6th round. He never forgot that. That chip on his shoulders continues to fire him up to this day. Josh Allen received his chip four years earlier than Brady. With no Division I college willing to offer him a ride, Allen was forced to play “small ball” for a year. Even after success there, only one college gave him a shot, Wyoming. Overcoming doubters is now ingrained in Josh Allen’s psyche. I’m guessing, like Brady, he’ll be carrying that chip around for a long time and making NFL defenses pay for it every Sunday.

It's very rare to have a young quarterback with these four intangibles as well aligned as they appear to be with Josh Allen. What’s more shocking is that these traits look to actually be combined with a QB with Allen’s physical traits. Imagine a QB with the arm of Matthew Stafford or Big Ben combined with the work ethic of Drew Brees or Matt Ryan combined with the “Chip on his shoulder” of Tom Brady combined with the legs of an Carson Wentz or Aaron Rodgers.

This would be a very rare breed of QB…I hope.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I agree. Idk how good he will be....but we get an idea of how good he can be. 

Hes got everything you want in a football player. 

We still gotta wait and see with all the things that go on the field when he is starting. 

I would also add to this list his character.  He seems like a high character guy.  I am basing this on his handling of the Jalen Ramsey comments and how he handles the press when asked pointed questions about the mistakes he and his teammates have made in games.

Seems to fit the Bean/McDermott way of building the team.

I don't think the "chip on your shoulder" analogy for Brady or Allen is the total picture. It's a relentless drive to be their best. What people say can be used as motivation from time to time, but there are people who just push themselves to be great. They don't like losing, they don't tolerate a half-assed effort, they put everything they have into the work behind the scenes and at game time. 

They can't be happy with themselves if there is any hint of complacency or failure. They are not going to let anything be sub-standard around them. I think this is a "process" character trait that the New Era Bills are looking for. Coaching becomes teaching and working through the process, not motivating and baby-sitting prima donnas.  That's why Sammy and DairyAss are gone.

2 hours ago, BisonMan said:

The Poise

Watching Allen in his limited pre-season action and some of his college games, something has struck me. He seems to be very poised for a young QB. He’s had poor offensive line play in front of him for the last several years, but he doesn’t seem to have the “happy feet” that a lot of young guys have. So far, on the surface, the NFL stage does not appear “too big” for him. “Panic” does not seem to be in his dictionary. We haven’t seen “live bullets” yet but early indications look good.

As big a defender of Allen as I was during the offseason, I didn't appreciate, from the film that was available, just how poised under fire he is as a QB. That has been a very pleasant surprise. Poise like that usually comes from confidence, real confidence, not false bravado. We'll see if that holds up when the games are for real. For now, I'm enjoying the hell out of having hope. Not delusions but real hope that we are on the way to healing the festering wound that has been the QB position on this team since before my hairline receded from Syracuse to somewhere east of Fresno.

The pundits will pull a 180 if Allen turns out good.

Right now they are doubling down on their predraft predictions. They want him to fail so they will be right.

...but he is so fun to watch they will jump on the bandwagon the very moment he proves he is for real.