Was Game 2 part of the process for Allen?

TPS

When Allen came in I kept hoping to see him sling one downfield, but it never came. It got me thinking, did McDaboll purposely want To see Allen be a game manager and "run" the offense, and not be the gunslinger in this game? We all know neither AJ or Nate can make the deeper passes that JA can, but can Josh be the game manager that Nate and AJ are known for? Josh showed this ability in Game 2.

now it could've just been the Browns D that prevented longer throws, but it is preseason where you want to see certain things. It's this aspect of the game that requires Allen's "development," and it's the reason I've believed he will not start right away. The fact that he showed this ability changes things, but it's only one game. If he can show this ability again in Game 3, then I think McDaboll's decision will be made.

• Like (+1) 2

It was mainly what Cleveland gave them. With AJ in and again when Nate came in they squatted 11 guys around the line of scrimmage. When Josh came in they backed right off and it not only allowed Allen to manage the game efficiently in the short and intermediate range but it allowed a balance box for Murphy to sprint through at nearly 10 yards a pop.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Having Allen in the game opens up the defense. Even if he's "inaccurate" no team is not going to cover receivers heading downfield. 

That's understood. My question is, did Daboll purposely run a dink and dunk offense to test him? 

Gunner thinks it was the D. I think that's partially it, but I think Daboll also wanted to see him manage a drive (or two)...?

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

It was mainly what Cleveland gave them. With AJ in and again when Nate came in they squatted 11 guys around the line of scrimmage. When Josh came in they backed right off and it not only allowed Allen to manage the game efficiently in the short and intermediate range but it allowed a balance box for Murphy to sprint through at nearly 10 yards a pop.

This is the biggest reason I believe Allen gives us the best chance to win.  While the other guys can throw deep, it's not a threat like Allen.  That arm is special and requires defenses to respect it.

This. Allen is already a threat in the League, given how Defenses must play him. It will be 8-9 in the box vs McC & P. With exception to well timed blitzes, they’ll play ‘respectful’ 2 deep against JA. This is where we’ll best see how Daboll can create mismatches, given how Allen already disrupts their ideal plan. As for Dabs desire vs Cleveland, I don’t think so. The 1st Allen series went 80 yrds, but could have ended 3 & out w/o the hands penalty. The 2nd series was a 2 minute drill. No way Daboll messes with what has practiced ad nauseum in Camp. The 3rd & final drive only earned 1 1st down after a great punt return, but Housch$$ put up 3 from Mars.

This is definitely what I noticed with Nate.  The most dangerous pass he throws is the simply 5 yard stop route or out.  The defensive backs are squatting waiting to jump the route.

He almost had one taken back in the Cleveland game.  Same exact type of play in which Tre White almost took it to the house in the first throw in camp.  

29 minutes ago, TPS said:

That's understood. My question is, did Daboll purposely run a dink and dunk offense to test him? 

Gunner thinks it was the D. I think that's partially it, but I think Daboll also wanted to see him manage a drive (or two)...?

I had the same thought watching the game. The unfortunate thing is we don’t get to see all the routes run etc, but swing pass, screen we’re definitely there on purpose IMO.

It had the looks of the offense being schemed to let him open up the short to mid range game. I have to think some of that was at least game planned to see how he handled the mid range passing attack. 

We have lost and let go of a lot of players the last couple years, if Allen is starting this year at any point my biggest miss will be marquis goodwin. I was always a fan of his, super happy to see him fully committed to football in San Fran last year and producing amazing numbers none of us thought he was capable of, he IMO is the missing link to this offense this season. Of course there’s tons of speed guys in the league, but the thought of Allen uncorking a 75 yard pass through the air and hitting goodwin intrigues me for sure. 

It looked, in a way, like Brady and NE.  Take what the D gives you, nickel and dime your way down the field, and when the D finally cracks and a reciever is open deep, torch them.  We've been on the receiving end of that way too many years now.

32 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

I'm not looking too deeply into Allen's failure to attempt a deep pass.  I think there are plenty of them in the future.

I think this was part of the game plan for Allen.   We all know he has the deep pass, he needs to work on the intermediate passes.  That's what game 2 was all about.   Looks like he is a quick learner--also important for a starting QB.   

I'm envisioning Allen being a better version of Big Ben.   But as a Bills fan I can't let myself get excited yet.  

Shady should be lobbying hard for Allen to start.  Defenses will have to defend the entire field, opening up the run game.

Alternatively, having Shady will help Allen as well.  I think Allen is going to be deadly on play action.

• Like (+1) 1