Josh Allen- One thing we can all agree on?

4 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I like Buffalover4life 's position, Let Peterman go the first few weeks. 

Let Allen learn the nuts and bolts process of how an NFL game week / game day works.  Let him see how Daboll installs a game plan for the upcoming game.  Give him a chance to see how the offense breaks down film on the opposing defense.  Let him see all the hoopla of opening weekend on the road and the spectacle of a few real NFL games before you ask him to go out there and run the offense.   Give him a few weeks to get used to all that and then ease him in week four. 

That also gets him past three meat grinder defenses on the road.  I don't think anyone wants to see Peterman / Chargers Part II for Allen.  We need to do everything we can to maximize his chance of being a long term successful quarterback. If it turns out that our O-Line is a turnstile, do you really want him out there at all until the O Line has a few games to gel and get their act together?

If holding Allen back and starting Peterman means losing the first three games of the season to set Allen up for future success, I'm ok with that. We've been waiting twenty years for a franchise QB in Buffalo, I can wait three more games.  Other's may disagree, but that's my opinion.  I'm not in the Peterman camp, I personally think Allen is better, but I am in the camp of giving Allen the best shot to be successful and I think that means easing him into the starting lineup this season.  

This seems like the right approach to the development of Allen, and I agree with it. However, I have two misgivings:

(1) What if Allen really really does give you the best chance of winning, and the coach really does think the Bills have a good shot of winning those first three games with Allen?

(2) Something no one has mentioned here: is this fair to Peterman? If Peterman struggles at all in the first three games, it might well be because of the difficulty of the competition and not a lack of skill on his part. Is it fair to yank him in game four without giving him a chance to prove himself? Three games is not a long time to evaluate him. And getting yanked again might be devastating to his confidence and his career.

53 minutes ago, jaybee said:

The reaction of Bills fans to Josh Allen vs the national reaction to Josh Allen appear to be different.

+Snip-->8/20/2018 

poll.jpg

Let me start a poll..."Which rookie QB has gotten the most media exposure and praise?"

...well, what do you know...same outcome... ?

People who do not actually watch the QBs, and instead rely on the media to tell them who's doing good or bad are going to vote the way we see above.  Mayfield winning that poll is no more important then winning Class President in grade school.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, billsfan11 said:

Besides Saviorpeterman, who badly wants Peterman to start?

I don't know about "badly", but I want Peterman to start.  Alllen is still a rookie, and it shows.  Let the kid mature and get eased into the starter role.  I'd also like to make sure the O line can protect better than they have been so far before I expose my entire offensive future.  I guess I'm conservative.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Tolstoy said:

(2) Something no one has mentioned here: is this fair to Peterman? If Peterman struggles at all in the first three games, it might well be because of the difficulty of the competition and not a lack of skill on his part. Is it fair to yank him in game four without giving him a chance to prove himself? Three games is not a long time to evaluate him. And getting yanked again might be devastating to his confidence and his career.

I think If he was going to break due to pressure/performance/being pulled that would have happened after his first start last year. 

And this is professional football, not everybody is go8ng to get a “fair” chance to prove themselves, esp a 5th round pick vs a top 10. 

1 hour ago, Tolstoy said:

You’re kidding, right? Be “fair” and Wait until mid October for when you perceive the competition may diminish enough to assess your weak 2nd year 5th Round choice -who already holds the ALL-TIME NFL RECORD for most interceptions in one half??

Please, just stop.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

@ Dollars to Donuts

I think you have a good argument, there is definitely something to be said for trial by fire, but ultimately, we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

I think you're right, Allen probably is our best chance to win, and if your #1 objective is to beat the Ravens, Chargers, and Vikings, then you should play Allen.  If your #1 priority is to give Allen the best chance to succeed long term, then I would sit him for a few games and let the O line figure itself out first and let Allen get more of a feel for the pro game before you throw him in there.

Thank you, Inigo (btw, love the avatar...one of my all time favorites).

Additionally, don't get me wrong.  I believe in Allen, but there is a little bit of queasiness about throwing the kid out there.  I will say this, what I didn't mention above is that there is a bit of "Trust the process" in my opinion.  

In other words, if they don't put him out there then I trust that they just think he needs a bit more time.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, LikeIGiveADarn said:

I don't agree to that...

Let's all agree to disagree :)

I think most of us would agree he should start preseason game #3 and play with the 1st stringers. The rest depends on a lot of things anyway. His play, Nate's play... and (hopefully not) injuries.

Edited by Jerome007

All I know is I am now excited to watch a preseason game so I can watch Josh Allen toss the ball. The last time I was excited to watch a preseason game so I could see a new Bills QB toss a ball? 1986.

The kid looks like he's throwing air - he does it so effortlessly.  It is simply a sight to behold.

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, GoodHands15 said:

Everyone has their options on the QB’s. Who should start. That’s all fine and dandy.

But can we all agree that watching Josh Allen rip the football is just a very nice thing to see. 

I mean. I feel like, just over two games. You could compile Josh Allen highlights and prescribe it as anti-depressants. 

No matter how much you want NP to start. I feel like Josh Allen highlight throws. (Especially deep outs) should make us all warm and fuzzy inside. Can we agree on that?

I'd agree on that.   I'd still start NP for the opener.  NP has had 2 good preseason games, one with the starters and one with the 3rd team.   JA has had a good and then a great game.   

At least we are having a QB "debate" where 2-3 QB's are able to string together long drives, something that was missing last year.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, CodeMonkey said:

I don't know about "badly", but I want Peterman to start.  Alllen is still a rookie, and it shows.  Let the kid mature and get eased into the starter role.  I'd also like to make sure the O line can protect better than they have been so far before I expose my entire offensive future.  I guess I'm conservative.

Even though I see it differently from that, you make fair points.

Personally I’m all in for whoever is the best QB deserves to start.

I do believe that person is Allen, and I think he gives the Bills the best shot to win right now

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Putin said:

You really are a piece of work !! 

For 3 years you busted our ? ? about EJ that it’s NOT enough time for the light switch to come on !!!!   and blamed EVERYTHING and EVERYONE even the coaches ?

( remember ?? ) 

for not letting throw the ball on ? first downs , I could go on and on and on , 

If I only had a dollar for every thread you started about EJ , ????????⛴? 

Drinking in the morning again? :blink:

20 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

I've noticed that, too.  It seems like anytime Josh Allen eyes a receiver that he is going to throw to, within 15 yds say, the time from when the ball leaves his hand until the time it reaches the receiver is almost instantaneous.  It is truly a thing of beauty.  Nate's throws to the sideline, within 10 yds, seem to just hang in the air, just waiting to be turned into a pick 6.  Just my observation.

I agree.  I noticed on in college.  The TD pass in PS game 1, he doubted his read, doubled.clutched it, but still got it in there in time.  His armstrength makes him.mind faster.  It was a huge benefit of his in his college tape.