Kelly or Brady

23 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

For the first 3 Pats* SB wins, Brady had a much better defense. He also had a much better coach / staff for all of them. When Manning was on a team with an elite defense, he was able to guide them to a title when he had absolutely no arm left. If PM were on the Pats with Belichick for most of his career, he may have won 6 SBs. 

That's why I said I can understand the argument, but we'll never know so I just go by what actually happened.

7 hours ago, Billsfanatic8989 said:

My cousin thinks Brady is not better than Kelly. The reason is: A) Kelly was more mobile. B) Belichick is a better coach than Levy. C) 4 straight SB appearances. D)

Deflategate/Spygate

Can any case be made Kelly is just as good, if not better, than Brady? Jim played in an era that wasn't as kind to Qb's.

What era era are we playing in and what age are the QBs.

If we are playing in the 90’s with tighter coverage, more bump and run, and QBs that could just get destroyed on each rush - give me Kelly as he was much tougher and could take the hits and had a better arm.

If we are playing in 2018, it is more cerebral because the QB has more time to read and the DBs cannot play as tight - a guy like Brady can succeed much better than a guy like Kelly.

What stinks is a guy like Marino with his incredible arm talent and quick release can thrive in either era.  

I also think a guy like Brady has more success across every era than a guy like Jim does, but both would be good players no matter the era, but specifically in the 1990’s - I think Jim’s brand of leadership and style fit better and would take a team further.

Oh please.

Saying Brady wouldn't have lasted in Kelly's era is ridiculous. Marion did and he was one of the least mobile QBs ever.  I have been a Bills fan since opening day 1960 and love Jimbo, but Brady is better.

Brady is GOAT, and Montana right there with him.  Manning?  Melted down in the playoffs.

you make me pick the top three:  Brady, Montana, then a toss up between Unitas and Otto Graham.

I hate to say Brady but not even close.  Kelly had HOF RB! two HOF receivers and couldn’t win a SB.  Meanwhile Brady had none of these yet has won.  Yes different eras and no way Brady survives a season under the old rules .

Every year I try to think of a new reason to hate Brady. Every year he hands that reason to me. Like flopping in front of the ref when a player brushed his shoulder after the play. He is a laser surgeon with making the short passing game into a quasi-running game. But never will I admit he's the greatest of all time. Think about that term "greatest of all time". With that title your record better be squeeky clean and not full of ass-terixs. As for the Kelly comparison....I agree with all the apples and oranges comments here. How would the two compare in the same era....we will never know. We can opine until the sun goes down...and never come to an accurate conclusion.

25 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Oh please.

Saying Brady wouldn't have lasted in Kelly's era is ridiculous. Marion did and he was one of the least mobile QBs ever.  I have been a Bills fan since opening day 1960 and love Jimbo, but Brady is better.

Brady is GOAT, and Montana right there with him.  Manning?  Melted down in the playoffs.

you make me pick the top three:  Brady, Montana, then a toss up between Unitas and Otto Graham.

Marino took a **** load hits also. Got nothing to do with being mobile, it got to do with getting knocked down almost every play. All the QBs took a pounding in those days. The game was so much more physical. 

9 hours ago, DC Tom said:

Johnny Unitas is the best to ever play.  Brady isn't even in that conversation.

Kelly isn't even in the top 10.

Brady over Kelly, any day.

7 hours ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

the !@#$ is this circle jerk around brady for?

!@#$ that !@#$ and everything about him.

Its Kelly 1000000% without a !@#$ing question. 

bradys B word ass wouldnt have survived in the nfl when kelly was around. This current league is all lets suck the qbs dick, espeically yours truly. that !@#$er and the patties have permanently tainted the league, and the league took it. 

What makes your dick so special?

Edited by Gugny
  • Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Different erra.  Tom Brady doesn't last a whole season back then.  All of the big three and Montana are better than Brady and Manning.  Jerry Rice would have had 40000 yards under these rules.

Dan Marino is the GOAT period.  Makes me sick saying that.  Not as sick as Brady, especially since Brady isn't the GOAT.  This game won't be recognizable in 10 years.

The bolded is a very interesting perspective. I think that Brady has the talent to have got rid of the ball on time in those days, no problem at all. I do however think that he would have been beaten half to death by late hits. Players must pay these hefty fines themselves now so the late hits are less common.

Today, receivers own the middle. Jack Tatum, Steve Atwater, Ronnie Lott, etc. owned it back in the day and that makes a huge difference.

I do however respectfully disagree about Marino being the best of all time.

Edited by Bill from NYC

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

The bolded is a very interesting perspective. I think that Brady has the talent to have got rid of the ball on time in those days, no problem at all. I do however think that he would have been beaten half to death by late hits. Players must pay these hefty fines themselves now so the late hits are less common.

Today, receivers owned the middle. Jack Tatum, Steve Atwater, Ronnie Lott, etc. owned it back in the day and that makes a huge difference.

I do however respectfully disagree about Marino being the best of all time.

The game was just more physical. Brady still would of been a great player but he would of never had the career he has had back in that time in football. Marino’s most TDs record lasted 20 years before it got broke. Then it broke again and again. Different time, different game.  I just can’t see guys today playing during that time and having the same success, but I can picture a lot of the good QBs in 80s/90s having better careers in today’s NFL.

Edited by BananaB
  • Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Different erra.  Tom Brady doesn't last a whole season back then.  All of the big three and Montana are better than Brady and Manning.  Jerry Rice would have had 40000 yards under these rules.

Dan Marino is the GOAT period.  Makes me sick saying that.  Not as sick as Brady, especially since Brady isn't the GOAT.  This game won't be recognizable in 10 years.

100% agree.

Comparing quarterbacks now to quarterbacks in the past is impossible. The rule changes have been very slanted towards the offense and blowing on a QB hard now will get you a flag.

9 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

It's Brady and it's not even close.

We all love Jim, he was an all time great.  Brady is on another level and probably the best QB of all time.

He's a Tier 1 QB like Elway, Manning, Montana, Unitas etc....

Jim Kelly is a Tier 2 with like a Dan Fouts, Bob Griese, Warren Moon etc....

fair enough ranking, thanks!

35 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I agree with your comment that Kelly just fit perfectly in the Bills system...he did.

I haven't been able to the Kelly Bills to win with real-stat sims like Strat-o-Matic or other computer games.... :(

It worked for the team though, which is all that matters

imagine how rancid it would be without those years...

Jim's personality was Buffalonian

Marino screamed at his receiver for missing out on tough catches, which increased as he got old