Bills receive 2nd opinion on AJ’s shoulder (No fracture, has returned to practice)

YoloinOhio

5 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Now we will dick around not getting another QB in here in time and we will be playing Petterman or Allen in parts of preseason games that are very dangerous. Having to have Petterman innthere in the 4th quarter of that last game was careless. We need just a nobody that we can stick in there. Once Mccarron got hurt, Petterman became very important. Then he was sent out behind a line that was dangerous in situations that could have really hurt our season.

I'm quite confident that Beane and his boys got it covered and can have someone in here quickly.

1 hour ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

So do you truly believe, at this juncture, it's still a 3 QB race? He can not answer the question or be vague without saying that McCarron is on equal ground with Allen and Peterman. That's too much suspension of disbelief for me.

Why is it so important to you to have it known? You'll know opening day.

10 minutes ago, Radar said:

Why is it so important to you to have it known? You'll know opening day.

It doesn't need to be said right now and i'm not saying he should say who the starter is. I have no problem with saying little to nothing at all, ala Belichick.

What i'm saying is it's goofy to take it to the other extreme. With McCarron obviously hurt, 2nd opinion notwithstanding, and underperforming regardless - it sounds stupid saying it's still a 3 way competition, if it isn't a broken bone.

We're splitting hairs anyways. My main point is I hate when McDermott's coach speak lends itself to eye rolls.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NY Nole said:

Talent does not trump experience and decision making in the NFL. Allen hasn’t seen anything remotely close to what will be thrown at him in the regular season. I am all in on him as our future QB — but the kid can benefit from sitting and watching and learning for a bit this season.

Thank goodness some Folks have sense enough to know more than what meets the eye.

Lets review the play calling for Josh perhaps is chess or checkers. was it plays they practiced alot. Streater said that touchdown in the EZ was something they practiced all the time.

context please 

42 minutes ago, Boca BIlls said:

Why b.c he has never sat and watched NFL football before?

you know what he meant.
 i would be rather surprised he is as up to speed on many fronts as he needs to become successful right away. He is a rookie at the most difficult position to both learn and play at the NFL. He did look good though : )
 Time in the film study and the playbooks, along with reps with WRs and O lines ( who are still rather unsettled ) will get him a better chance of short and long term success

imho.

51 minutes ago, MJS said:

AJ McCollarbone looked pretty terrible with the 1's anyway. I understand the oline didn't do him any favors, but he still got way too flustered and made some terrible throws.

Thats funny. Did you steal this or is it an original? Love it!

42 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I'm quite confident that Beane and his boys got it covered and can have someone in here quickly.

But they didn’t have it covered. That’s the issue. We don’t need to have 2 kickers or as many DBs or LBs that we have. We don’t even need to have as many WRs as we have now. We have 90 roster spots right now. We should have had a 4th QB Incase of injury already. If it’s a 3 man competition, you need all the reps you can get..I understand that so I will save people the time of posting it. But you can still have a mop up guy Incase a guy gets hurt. That way one of your qb competition guys won’t be stuck in a spot where they are playing with unsafe lineman. You don’t even have to put the 4th guy in if you feel comfortable. Just have the guy ready. Let’s just say Petterman got hurt in the 4th quarter last week. What are you going to do, put Allen back in? Petterman was limping in that game. It’s not inconceivable. 

I’m with the Coach bashing crowd on this one. Maybe it’s familiarity breeding contempt, but there are times his ‘close to vest’ schtick makes him seem out of touch. I get it that presumably surprising B’more with the starter makes it more difficult to prepare, but me’n 10 buddies could probably fare well against Pickpeterman or McCollarbone in a pick up game. Neither strike fear into anyone. Ya think Allen isn’t ready yet? Fine. Say it! 

“He’s done well so far, better -perhaps-than we envisioned. But he’s still very young and this is an entirely different set of circumstances than he’s experienced before and we want him to become comfortable in it. We have a methodical schedule for him and he’s acclimating to it well. We certainly have no plans to throw him out there in week 1 and just hope for the best. We’ll see. It’s a PROCESS!” 

This would still say nothing,  but not make him appear clueless. jmo.

5 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

But they didn’t have it covered. That’s the issue. We don’t need to have 2 kickers or as many DBs or LBs that we have. We don’t even need to have as many WRs as we have now. We have 90 roster spots right now. We should have had a 4th QB Incase of injury already. If it’s a 3 man competition, you need all the reps you can get..I understand that so I will save people the time of posting it. But you can still have a mop up guy Incase a guy gets hurt. That way one of your qb competition guys won’t be stuck in a spot where they are playing with unsafe lineman. You don’t even have to put the 4th guy in if you feel comfortable. Just have the guy ready. Let’s just say Petterman got hurt in the 4th quarter last week. What are you going to do, put Allen back in? Petterman was limping in that game. It’s not inconceivable. 

Your point is taken BM4J.  They didn't want a 4th arm cuz Allen needed all the reps he could get.

I will be shocked to see NP or JA taking snaps in the 4th game except maybe the first drive or 2.

I guess Logan Thomas could of taken some snaps if needed.

2 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Your point is taken BM4J.  They didn't want a 4th arm cuz Allen needed all the reps he could get.

I will be shocked to see NP or JA taking snaps in the 4th game except maybe the first drive or 2.

I guess Logan Thomas could of taken some snaps if needed.

Kind of stinks we didn’t have Webb still. There are plenty of WRs on the roster that are worse and nobody is as versatile as he was. A guy that can play QB and return kicks is rare.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, The Senator said:

Why would it benefit Allen more to sit and watch, rather than play and learn?  Please, riddle me that one.

I don’t claim to be an expert on the subject, but there are QB coaches/ trainers / gurus whatever that believe it to be true. Jordan Palmer ( who I believe worked with several of the highly drafted QBs pre- combine) for one. He said he thinks any QB will benefit from not starting in their first NFL season. There are varying opinions on this

35 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

The O lineman in the game at that point are generally going up against DL s of a similar talent level. The game is pretty much unsafe. Not the O linemen. 

Edited by Boatdrinks
  • Like (+1) 2

It makes absolutely zero sense to start 5th rounder peterman over josh allen. I am just saying peterman has little to no experience himself! Why would you bother?

AJ was supposed to be the vet even though his actual experience is quite limited... but now if AJ is hurt the decision for Allen seems easier.

I think most fans feel that AJs performance was so awful the other night that this is for the best. My biggest take away from mccaron in that game was him trying to fix his chinstrap from riding up his face while he was getting punished.

No fan looking forward to watching a season of that.

We'd all rather watch a rookie struggle and mature.

Peterman is too scary for me on those side line throws... yeesh almost a pick 6 on first play against 3rd string

• Like (+1) 2

58 minutes ago, fansince88 said:

Thats funny. Did you steal this or is it an original? Love it!

It's from my 3-year-old. She heard me talking about it to my wife and said "AJ McCollarbone?" I thought it was awesome and decided to use it.

Kids are awesome!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, The Senator said:

Why would it benefit Allen more to sit and watch, rather than play and learn?  Please, riddle me that one.

We just watched a more experienced QB get injured behind the suspect Oline ( 1s vs 1s )

with all due respect Senator

• Like (+1) 1

If AJ's injury is vague enough that they need a "second opinion," it can't be something as clear cut as a fracture which would show up on x-rays or other imaging tests.

So then how does Vic Carucci report that he has a hairline fracture of his collar bone?!?!

Must be getting bad info. from a source.

16 minutes ago, Figster said:

We just watched a more experienced QB get injured behind the suspect Oline ( 1s vs 1s )

with all due respect Senator

OK, but might it also be a lack of mobility that caused his injury?  ( ‘cause JA has more mobility than AJ or Peterman)

McCarron is pretty much out of the equation, given his fractured collarbone.  Would any intelligent coach start Peterman over Allen?

3 hours ago, H2o said:

Seek your 2nd opinion, but does it really matter? If Allen does well enough with the 1's this week then there is no question who should start. The disparity between the two in the overall talent level is obvious. 

to Everyone but McDermott, obviously.