Bills receive 2nd opinion on AJ’s shoulder (No fracture, has returned to practice)

YoloinOhio

3 hours ago, NY Nole said:

Talent does not trump experience and decision making in the NFL. Allen hasn’t seen anything remotely close to what will be thrown at him in the regular season. I am all in on him as our future QB — but the kid can benefit from sitting and watching and learning for a bit this season.

Talent+Leadership+Improving+LatestResults+1stRd+PracticeMakesPerfect > Experience+AverageQB+SacksAgainst+CollarboneMayorMayNotbebroken+0firstdownsin4series in my opinion. I think Josh wants to bring those wolves on, but if anyone here wants Nate the GreatI I may buy that, for a few weeks, while Nate slices up those teams with his Trick or Treat show. I think AJ is a great dude, but he will be fine, as he now can be a race car driver sooner than he wanted, as he likely mainly wanted to be starter, but he may now have missed his chance.

Edited by drf1835

I had a fractured collar bone back in high school. Never knew it was broken until a month later when I told my parents that my shoulder was sore for a month and didn't know why the pain wasn't going away. I kept playing sports that whole month. It was uncomfortable but it did not keep me completely sidelined.

I remember the doctor telling me how lucky I was. Said, if it hadn't healed up good on it's own he would have had to re-break the bone to reset it properly. Said it is likely that it was just a hairline fracture, so got lucky.

If it's just a fracture, he could be back fairly quickly. Still if it's his throwing side the pain can be pretty sharp.  Otherwise, you hardly even notice any pain at all. Takes about a month. I had a lump of bone growing around the fracture that actually probably made the bone stronger. Curious how bad of a fracture it is. I assume that mine was pretty small though.  Won't ever know because I didn't see a doctor until a month after it happened. The pain will take a bit longer to subside.

4 hours ago, H2o said:

Seek your 2nd opinion, but does it really matter? If Allen does well enough with the 1's this week then there is no question who should start. The disparity between the two in the overall talent level is obvious. 

I think McDermott doesn't want to start Allen out of the chute ala EJ.  It's just my opinion, but I think he wants McCarron to start.  A vet who doesn't throw a lot of picks and protects the football.  Like we did last year.

He wants to win now and he's good at it. That's what I Like a about him.  I don't think He wants to throw in a guy on a wing and a prayer and lose the cohesive team that he has built.

1 hour ago, BillsFan692 said:

I will say peterman has had a nice preseason but he had a nice one last year too i just think his balls float sometimes and he makes the decision to throw too quickly on a floater its a recipe for disaster

ehh, not really. 

Last year (1st 2 games) he was 23/45 for 279 yards, 1 TD and no Ints.  PR of 77.9

This year 17 of 20 for 232, 2 TD 1 Int for a PR of 127.5

He definitely is better, but I think that Daboll's play calls is a good chunk of the improvement.

5 hours ago, White Linen said:

It doesn't make him sound dumb.  It's clear that he's not telling the media anything - ever.  He even tells them - I'm not answering that question.  Then the majority of the rest of the questions are the exact same question he just said he's not answering.  It's embarrassing for them not him.  

Sullivan gone and still same behavior by media?

3 hours ago, The Senator said:

Why would it benefit Allen more to sit and watch, rather than play and learn?  Please, riddle me that one.

Well, you see how devastating that has been to Russel Wilson and Carson Wentz ..... playing in their rookie seasons almost ruined their careers. How much better they would be if they had only carried a clipboard around their first year.

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, H2o said:

Seek your 2nd opinion, but does it really matter? If Allen does well enough with the 1's this week then there is no question who should start. The disparity between the two in the overall talent level is obvious. 

I think AJ is  a veteran player who has been in the league now for five years.  This is McDeromotts way of being polite and doing the right thing with a Vet player.  Sometimes, what you don't do makes you look better in players eyes. 

7 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I hate when "coach speak" makes McDermott sound dumb.

Even if AJ were fine, which he pretty obviously isn't, he can't truly feel that all 3 are still equal atm. Moving this competition along at it's absolute slowest, one would still conclude it's at least between Allen and Peterman right now.

He's obsessed with this dumb competition for some reason, it should be about 1 person, Josh Allen, is he ready now or not, forget McCarron or Peterman, theyre backups. McDermott wasted all of preseason, Allen could have had double the reps and playtime instead they were wasted on those other two.

2 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

I think McDermott doesn't want to start Allen out of the chute ala EJ.  It's just my opinion, but I think he wants McCarron to start.  A vet who doesn't throw a lot of picks and protects the football.  Like we did last year.

He wants to win now and he's good at it. That's what I Like a about him.  I don't think He wants to throw in a guy on a wing and a prayer and lose the cohesive team that he has built.

"ala EJ", lol, yeah ok, try ala just about every other rookie QB.

6 hours ago, NY Nole said:

Talent does not trump experience and decision making in the NFL. Allen hasn’t seen anything remotely close to what will be thrown at him in the regular season. I am all in on him as our future QB — but the kid can benefit from sitting and watching and learning for a bit this season.

Experience and decision making?  Do you really think McCarron’s 4 starts and Peterman’s 2 really give them an insurmountable edge in experience and decision making?  

Unless the OL is so bad that they’re worried about breaking him, if Allen gets the 1st team reps against the Bengals and continues to be the most dynamic of the 3 QBs he should start. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, The Senator said:

OK, but might it also be a lack of mobility that caused his injury?  ( ‘cause JA has more mobility than AJ or Peterman)

McCarron is pretty much out of the equation, given his fractured collarbone.  Would any intelligent coach start Peterman over Allen?

Good points Senator, 

thanks for the reply

49 minutes ago, CSBill said:

Well, you see how devastating that has been to Russel Wilson and Carson Wentz ..... playing in their rookie seasons almost ruined their careers. How much better they would be if they had only carried a clipboard around their first year.

I don't know whether or not it will have helped Mahomes, but the Chiefs let the veteran start and play the full year and made the playoffs. Seemed to work out OK for the Chiefs. Giants kept playing Eli, let Davis Webb grow behind him. I think that will do better for Webb. I'm a big fan of what Baker Mayfield could do in this league. Starting Tyrod is the right thing to do. 

I don't think it's a shut down case for either argument. He played a controlled, great game. It will be fun to watch him improve and there's a lot more of that in his future.

59 minutes ago, CSBill said:

You bring up two teams with established coaching, systems and an above average supporting cast already in place.

6 hours ago, MJS said:

AJ McCollarbone looked pretty terrible with the 1's anyway. I understand the oline didn't do him any favors, but he still got way too flustered and made some terrible throws.

Our offensive line is going to make any of our QBs look flustered . . . especially when the games start to count.

Our supposed best lineman got manhandled by Myles Garrett. I feel bad for our QBs and Shady.