Why Does The National Media Want To See Josh Allen Fail?

mykidsdad

5 hours ago, mykidsdad said:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-refocused-2018-bills-19-browns-17

Interesting that PFF has little to say about Josh Allen's progress. I normally have a lot of confidence with their analytics and when they came out strongly against Josh Allen, I was really discouraged. If they end up being wrong on this, it may be one of their bigger misses using their advanced stats. It seems to me that they're already being a little stuborn about Josh's early success. It is very early, still, but I would have expected them to say something about him. Could Josh possibly ding their credibility? 

Allen should start,  he needs to get his career going.  End of the day Nathan Petterman is loser ,  who set some record for first starts by throwing 5 picks in opening half.  He should have been released this offseason.  The guy is too short and his arm is not strong enough to play in this league.

This is actually a good point. In the article they say that Mayfield put together a nice outing but only refer to Allen when they say he handed the ball to Murphy. 

Even at the end they say our quarterbacks had a nice game but need to get more consistency. Never mentioning the one quarterback of the night that was at the very least, consistent. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks

4 hours ago, ThunderGun said:

Yeah, from THIS coaching staff.  Why wouldn't they have worked out the flaws in his game sooner if they were any good @ Wyoming?  Seems like Allen is pretty fast on the uptake, and has rectified many of his issues quickly. That's all credit to McD's staff, not Wyoming.  

This team has two healthy QBs.  One set the NFL record for INTS in one half, and should've been intercepted for a pick 6 on his first throw with the 3rd team...

The other has every physical intangible a QB could possibly want, was the 7th overall pick, and seems to be acclimating to the game much faster than anticipated.

Hopefully this staff just cuts the BS, and makes Allen the starter.  Starting Peterman is just a waste of time, and feels like a "Jauron" type move.  No point in prolonging the inevitable.

There is a difference between Offense coaching and QB coaching.  He clearly had good Offense coaching learning to read defenses, not looking only at half a field, etc. but he did not have good QB coaching correcting his stance, etc and Palmer helped a lot with that.

I disagree with just start him until:

1. OL is ready.  If they cannot protect him then I'd rather P5t5rman take the lumps

2. He learns to slide!

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

I disagree with just start him until:

1. OL is ready.  If they cannot protect him then I'd rather P5t5rman take the lumps

2. He learns to slide!

He did a head first slide. I believe that is protected and marked essentials the same as a feet first slide this year.

I'd say no.  Josh Allen's did have some glaring issues in college.  Some players make huge unexpected leaps in improvement at random stages of their careers.  If Josh Allen can turn the corner in one NFL offeason that would be great, but I don't think it would look poorly on PFF at all. 

Allen has already outperformed my expectations of what he would look like... purely based on “expert” opinions and pre-draft analysts.  So I guess that’s a good thing.  He looks like a real QB and not the least bit mentally overwhelmed by NFL players coming at him. Seems to love his job too

6 hours ago, mykidsdad said:

Interesting that PFF has little to say about Josh Allen's progress. I normally have a lot of confidence with their analytics and when they came out strongly against Josh Allen, I was really discouraged. If they end up being wrong on this, it may be one of their bigger misses using their advanced stats. It seems to me that they're already being a little stuborn about Josh's early success. It is very early, still, but I would have expected them to say something about him. Could Josh possibly ding their credibility? 

I think the correct answer is “Who the h&ll cares?”

I just don’t understand people who’s sense of satisfaction is derived from seeing the evil awful media proven wrong and knocked down a peg. #sad #toolittletobegratefulfor

6 hours ago, mykidsdad said:

Stats don't miss.  Their not made in a vacuum.  If stats we're %100 of the time, it wouldnt make any sense.  Many of us  arent suprised because of the intangibles of the kids situation.  They we're unique. I have never argued the low probability of Allen, but I did Belive there was more to him though.

people try to make statistics mean more than they actually mean. if it were only for football that would be good. fact is, stats are used incorrectly in much more important areas of life...there is a lot of terrible medical research done by doctors who think they know something about the scientific method.

once again: statistics say very little about the future of a specific player. PFF makes me laugh, it is impossible to take them seriously.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, wppete said:

Yes. It will make Pro Football Focus look very bad. PFF bash Allen pretty hard and in some videos were even mocking him. Bad look on PFF bashing players. 

That's why tact is important.  Tell us he is low probability, and support it.  Once you bash a guy then it's personal and not stat based anymore.  All of a sudden you have a bias personal investment in what was originally a stat.

4 minutes ago, dickleyjones said:

people try to make statistics mean more than they actually mean. if it were only for football that would be good. fact is, stats are used incorrectly in much more important areas of life...there is a lot of terrible medical research done by doctors who think they know something about the scientific method.

once again: statistics say very little about the future of a specific player. PFF makes me laugh, it is impossible to take them seriously.

Honestly, I dont think people understand how statistics work very well.   Trends must be bucked.... Or everything would be %100.  I think that's how many people take a low probability like it's a can't happen.

Edited by JaxBills
  • Like (+1) 1

How about all the people here who literally tantrummed after the Allen pick was announced?  And the ones who said before the draft that they were done with the Bills if they picked Allen?  Will they be dinged?

Edited by mannc

It seems to me that there are many fans, reporters and analysts who seem to want to see Josh Allen fail.  This has trickled all the way down to the fans as well.

If you recall, many fans were livid that the Bills selected Allen while Rosen was on the board.  But why?  One year ago, Allen was in contention to be the #1 overall pick and considered the best QB in the draft. It’s because many in the media were certain that Allen was going to be bust based on factors from college.   Many fans didn’t really give a damn about Wyoming football and the majority likely never watched more than 1 game (if that)

Yet many in the media seemed to be all in on the narrative that Allen was a bad prospect.  Bills fans were downright depressed because they assumed the Warren Sharp’s of the world

knew more football than the Brandon Beane’s. It continues today. It started in training camp when on really bad screw pass went vital. Then despite two pretty good performances in preseason, there are some that want to make excuses.

IMO it’s way too early to determine if Allen will be a good QB or not.  But I just don’t think he gets a fair shake from the media, who In turn has a negative effect on fans.  

I think many of the “football analytics” want to prove that their methods of analysis are superior in many ways - including scouting.  Just like Moneyball, they want to quantify the process of scouting which conflicts with the traditional scouting measures.  It’s kind of old school vs. new school.  Using their metrics, Allen will fail in the NFL.  I legit think they want to be right so they said “we told you so” as a way to prove their methods as accurate.  

I think we all see the negative media bias against Allen.  Question is, where does it come from?

Edited by BuffaloRush
  • Like (+1) 1