Why Does The National Media Want To See Josh Allen Fail?

mykidsdad

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-refocused-2018-bills-19-browns-17

Interesting that PFF has little to say about Josh Allen's progress. I normally have a lot of confidence with their analytics and when they came out strongly against Josh Allen, I was really discouraged. If they end up being wrong on this, it may be one of their bigger misses using their advanced stats. It seems to me that they're already being a little stuborn about Josh's early success. It is very early, still, but I would have expected them to say something about him. Could Josh possibly ding their credibility? 

Just now, mykidsdad said:

Interesting that PFF has little to say about Josh Allen's progress. I normally have a lot of confidence with their analytics and when they came out strongly against Josh Allen, I was really discouraged. If they end up being wrong on this, it may be one of their bigger misses using their advanced stats. It seems to me that they're already being a little stuborn about Josh's early success. It is very early, still, but I would have expected them to say something about him. Could Josh possibly ding their credibility? 

It could. But you could also take a ding to your credibility if your username turns out to be wrong...? 

I kid, I kid....

• Haha (+1) 13

Something tells me that the Buffalo Bills front office invested a lot more time, money, and energy into scouting Josh Allen that PFF did, including analytics. Besides, do their analytics take into account playing at a garbage school with garbage skill players and garbage coaching??? What about all the good things Sports Science had to say about him?  

Edited by ThunderGun
  • Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, ThunderGun said:

Something tells me that the Buffalo Bills front office invested a lot more time, money, and energy into scouting Josh Allen that PFF did, including analytics. Besides, do their analytics take into account playing at a garbage school with garbage skill players and garbage coaching??? What about all the good thing Sports Science had to say about him?  

PFF will survive, I'm sure. They seem to be a solid source, getting better anyway.

Its 50/50. Has been. Always will be. From a sports anylitics crew, to owners, coaches, die hard fans, local media, etc. 

This won't hurt PFF, but it just MAY help build the Legend Coming? Maybe...its 50/50 

Idt their coaching was garbage, btw

Edited by BuffAlone

12 minutes ago, ThunderGun said:

Something tells me that the Buffalo Bills front office invested a lot more time, money, and energy into scouting Josh Allen that PFF did, including analytics. Besides, do their analytics take into account playing at a garbage school with garbage skill players and garbage coaching??? What about all the good things Sports Science had to say about him?  

Against garbage competition too.

1 minute ago, BullBuchanan said:

Against garbage competition too.

Doesn't matter, you put garbage against garbage you still get garbage.   Allen was a rare prospect who somehow slipped through the fingers of BCS schools, but everybody he played with and under was garbage compared to NFL calibre players and coaches.

1 minute ago, LeGOATski said:

To come along as fast as he did, I'd say Allen got some pretty good coaching. They ran a pro-style offense and got him prepared for the pros.

We're still premature on this anyway. Dude has only played 2 preseason games.

Yeah, from THIS coaching staff.  Why wouldn't they have worked out the flaws in his game sooner if they were any good @ Wyoming?  Seems like Allen is pretty fast on the uptake, and has rectified many of his issues quickly. That's all credit to McD's staff, not Wyoming.  

This team has two healthy QBs.  One set the NFL record for INTS in one half, and should've been intercepted for a pick 6 on his first throw with the 3rd team...

The other has every physical intangible a QB could possibly want, was the 7th overall pick, and seems to be acclimating to the game much faster than anticipated.

Hopefully this staff just cuts the BS, and makes Allen the starter.  Starting Peterman is just a waste of time, and feels like a "Jauron" type move.  No point in prolonging the inevitable.

1 minute ago, ThunderGun said:

Yeah, from THIS coaching staff.  Why wouldn't they have worked out the flaws in his game sooner if they were any good @ Wyoming?  Seems like Allen is pretty fast on the uptake, and has rectified many of his issues quickly. That's all credit to McD's staff, not Wyoming.  

This team has two healthy QBs.  One set the NFL record for INTS in one half, and should've been intercepted for a pick 6 on his first throw with the 3rd team...

The other has every physical intangible a QB could possibly want, was the 7th overall pick, and seems to be acclimating to the game much faster than anticipated.

Hopefully this staff just cuts the BS, and makes Allen the starter.  Starting Peterman is just a waste of time, and feels like a "Jauron" type move.  No point in prolonging the inevitable.

It's a little crazy to think that the Bills' coaching staff has miraculously fixed all of Allen's shortcomings over the course of one TC. Regardless, they'll get the credit if Allen turns into a franchise QB.

I'm good with whatever they decide. 

Historically, guys like Peterman and McCarron don't keep a 7th overall pick on the bench. Only established vets do. 

3 hours ago, mykidsdad said:

They are dead to me.

• Haha (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

I’m pretty high on Allen right now. But I wouldn’t call it a “success” as of yet. He’s seen limited action in 2 preseason games. Preseason games don’t count for anything....

His pocket shiftiness in Cleveland vs. oncoming rushers DOES translate to the regular season.  

I don't know about PFF, but there seems to be a lot of people who seem to be personally invested in seeing Josh Allen.  It's as if they are angry that the Bills would dare to pick Allen and irately insist that Allen will be a bust.  It's one thing to rationally think that Allen will be a bust...or for a Bills fan to be angry they picked him...but there is a group in the media who act as if Allen's success would be a personal insult to them....which is weird.  Many in this group also seem angry the Bills let Tyrod go.  It's a group that picks the Bills to finish last.  Again, I think that it's fine to pick the Bills last...and there are some reasons to do so: no established quarterback, concerns about o-line, etc.  However, they seem angry when they say it...as if they are saying, "It serves them right."  My suspicion is that they see the Bills as mounting an attack on analytics and want them to fail for doing so.  Again, my suspicion is that this crowd is populated by analysts who rely on a superficial understanding of analytics: e.g. Tyrod's touchdown to interception ratio and Allen's completion percentage.  I don't think that the Bills are attacking analytics...or ignoring them...but look at context and have a more complex understanding of them...and that there are other metrics....like Tyrod's third down completion rate.   But because they see Bills as anti-analytics they feel personally invested in seeing them fail.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2