2nd Update: Early 2019 mock draft

Buffalo Barbarian

17 hours ago, JohnC said:

Gotham Bill is getting soft. In a prior post he stunningly stated that he can understand why someone would take an elite safety at near the top of the draft. That is not the ornery Bill that I once knew. Sometimes the inflexible can become more flexible, at least to a point. :)

Must've been that Thompson kid from Bama :D

1 hour ago, Blokestradamus said:

In the Charger game in Buffalo I thought one of the best players on the field was their rookie safety,  Derwin James. He was a difference maker. A good case can be made that he will have a bigger impact than our own Edmunds. Even Gotham Bill with his fawning Bama eyes would acknowledge the talent of this non Crimson Tide player. Or another way of saying it is that NYC Bill has expanded his horizon, at least somewhat. 

On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 6:56 AM, Blokestradamus said:

You guys really are funny!!! :D:lol::D

That said, look at the Bills roster. We might finally have a top quality QB (I fully supported this selection from day 1 btw). He has a sloppy ass OL, piss poor receivers, and a rapidly aging running back. The very last thing that the Bills should do is waste yet another 1st round pick on a defensive back. We all know what would happen.....the team will lose but the db will be "good." How many times must we travel the same losing road?

The Bills need blockers, receivers and even some young defensive linemen. The secondary should be just that.

Is this more like it John? ;)

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

You guys really are funny!!! :D:lol::D

That said, look at the Bills roster. We might finally have a top quality QB (I fully supported this selection from day 1 btw). He has a sloppy ass OL, piss poor receivers, and a rapidly aging running back. The very last thing that the Bills should do is waste yet another 1st round pick on a defensive back. We all know what would happen.....the team will lose but the db will be "good." How many times must we travel the same losing road?

The Bills need blockers, receivers and even some young defensive linemen. The secondary should be just that.

{b]Is this more like it John? ;)[/b]

The old school suits you well. 

Because of free agency and trade deals I have become more flexible on how a draft should be addressed. As you well know from my years of my unwavering insistence that the qb position must be a priority. It is understood that there are years where you are not in position to acquire a franchise qb. But when years stretch into a decade, and continue on to a generation then you are entering into the realm institutional stupidity.   

If you have an opportunity to draft a CB such as Peterson from Arizona or a great safety who is a ball hawk I am not adverse to doing so. If you look at the Rams a couple of years they added offensive linemen to bolster their line and added multiple of good receivers. My point is that I don't have a rigid rule on how to make the roster better because there are multiple avenues to do so. 

3 hours ago, JohnC said:

The old school suits you well. 

Because of free agency and trade deals I have become more flexible on how a draft should be addressed. As you well know from my years of my unwavering insistence that the qb position must be a priority. It is understood that there are years where you are not in position to acquire a franchise qb. But when years stretch into a decade, and continue on to a generation then you are entering into the realm institutional stupidity.   

If you have an opportunity to draft a CB such as Peterson from Arizona or a great safety who is a ball hawk I am not adverse to doing so. If you look at the Rams a couple of years they added offensive linemen to bolster their line and added multiple of good receivers. My point is that I don't have a rigid rule on how to make the roster better because there are multiple avenues to do so. 

I hope that you soon get over your case of The Stockholm Syndrome.

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

I hope that you soon get over your case of The Stockholm Syndrome.

Is it safe to say that Dick Jauron was not your favorite coach? 

In hindsight, the Tre' White has turned out to be an outstanding pick. Need I remind you that he is a CB? :)

Edited by JohnC
  • Haha (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Sure, he is good. Is he better than Mahomes and/or Deshaun Watson?

You know very well that I was an advocate for Mahomes in that draft year. But to be fair McDermott just took over. He was going to use the year to assess the roster. He wasn't trusting Whaley's judgment on qbs. Not only was Whaley let go but the whole scouting departing was dispatched. The next year he and Beane got their own qb from the draft. I'm not complaining with the Allen pick. 

4 hours ago, JohnC said:

You know very well that I was an advocate for Mahomes in that draft year. But to be fair McDermott just took over.

I do know that and I was high on Watson. And I don't care that McDermott just took over. He didn't even get much for trading down and getting White was certainly not guaranteed. Like Jauron, he chose a defensive back over much more important players.

I am thrilled by Allen. Now we need to focus on getting him great tools and protection.

10 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

I do know that and I was high on Watson. And I don't care that McDermott just took over. He didn't even get much for trading down and getting White was certainly not guaranteed. Like Jauron, he chose a defensive back over much more important players.

I am thrilled by Allen. Now we need to focus on getting him great tools and protection.

I don't want to belabor this issue but let's put things in perspective. It is on record that you and I favored drafting a qb in that draft year, Mahomes and Watson were the options. Let's remember that Whaley essentially lost his authority before even being fired to McDermott. The wrestling coach took over with the intention of not only rebuilding the roster but also the organization. Not only was Whaley let go but all of the scouting staff was let go. If I recall correctly the new GM was not hired yet. So I'm not going to condemn McDermott for holding off on the most important decision he would make for the roster. His plate was more than full. 

If you look back at how he and Beane operated there is no question that their priority was to identify their best option at qb in a rich qb draft class in the next year. They accumulated draft picks and made trade deals with the expressed purpose of securing their qb. Not only were they working on that priority issue this tandem was still working on culling the roster and cleaning the cap situation. Compare how McBeane dealt with the qb issue within their first two years to a franchise that let this critical issue linger for a generation. Not only am I not going to criticize them for taking a little more time to address the position but I am going to robustly salute them. 

Let's look at the team's situation for next year. The Bills have a large cap space next year (much of it at the expense of this year) to address some of our multiple needs. In addition, the Bills acquired their qb in the last draft without mortgaging future draft picks. Next year the Bills will have all their draft picks to continue the process of rebuilding the roster. 

The model I am hoping that we can replicate (although I realize we have a much longer way to go) is the Rams. They got their qb in Goff and then the following year they used their cap space to bolster their OL and upgrade the receiver corps. To some extent we are in the same position if our assets (cap space and draft picks) can be wisely used. 

Whether one agrees or disagrees with this regime there is a recognition that there is a coherent plan that is being followed. The implementation is not perfect because in this constantly shifting business it can never attain that lofty level. But from what I can see there is more intelligence and progression in what they are doing than I have seen since the Polian days. 

• Like (+1) 1

New to my mock Zach Allen 6'5" 285  Boston College

What’s most exciting about Allen is how physical and strong he is at the point of attack. Not easily moved out of his gap, Allen does well to dictate reps with aggressive hand technique and a stout anchor as he plays through blocks. He offers sharp mental processing skills in his ability to diagnose plays and seamlessly disposes of blockers in pursuit. His executes with a relentless motor and high degree of urgency. 

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2018/08/04/2019-nfl-draft-player-profile-zach-allen/

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.