Before we put too much stock in this pre-season...

Domdab99

9 hours ago, Domdab99 said:

You guys really can’t take a joke? 

The Cleveland Browns went undefeated!

Hue Jackson's squad exited the preseason 4-0 (and then oh fer 16) after their 25-0 beat down of the Chicago Bears Thursday night. The Browns celebrated -- "hooting and hollering" in the locker room as beat writer Mary Kay Cabot put it -- becoming the first Cleveland squad to pull off the hollow feat since 1986.

"A year ago we were 0-4, so these guys came back with a different mentality,'' said Jackson said. "We understand it's just the preseason, but you've got to start someplace. They accomplished something that hadn't been done in 31 years, which is to be 4-0 and that's a credit to them.''

Save the comparisons to the 2008 Detroit Lions who went 4-0 in the preseason then 0-16 when it counted. This Browns team is leaps and bounds better than that depressing squad.

Jackson is correct that the Browns needed to start someplace. In his first year, they nearly went winless, eking out one win in the regular season. Couple that with the preseason, and Cleveland went 1-19 in 2016.

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

i think that we all have a pretty good understanding of what preseason is. but i also think that we are all getting a bit excited because the quarterback we drafted is showing not just that incredible physical ability, but is also showing an understanding for the game, touch, timing, command of the huddle, respect from his teammates, a noticeable improvement on things we all ha questions about. he does not look lost, he does not look confused, he does not look timid...he looks like a damn quarterback! preseason or not, this is absolutely grounds for optimism and encouragement.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dubs said:

I think most people, no, every single person realizes that preseason doesn’t mean much. Pointing that out on a message board is actually pointless. 

Just because use it’s preseason doesn’t mean you can’t be encouraged by what you see, however. 

If everyone realizes it, thenwe wouldn't see so many rush to make judgments when there Is a bad play or plays. Edmunds is a good case from this game. Proehl was written off as an NFL Caliber player after game one. The latter is a perfect case for people making judgments on what we only get to see in the preseason games, as Joe B has him making the 53 based in what he's also doing in practices. 

What Allen has done in the games is encouraging, but it's only one piece to evaluating him and everyone else.

ok, just realized the Joe B 53 I referenced was fromJune, so I'll temper the Proehl comment and note that he did much better in game 2.

Edited by TPS

The Bills of the Levy era were typically a 1-3 preseason team. They looked at players, they kept things simple.  They were almost always a strong starting team when the season started.   I just dont don’t read into preseason wins and losses.  

It is nice to see Allen looking good, definitely further along than many pundits predicted.  Let’s keep in mind that facing a starting defense, using their full bag of tricks for a full 60 minutes will be a totally new challenge.  Especially tough for a rookie qb. 

1 hour ago, swnybillsfan said:

i think that we all have a pretty good understanding of what preseason is. but i also think that we are all getting a bit excited because the quarterback we drafted is showing not just that incredible physical ability, but is also showing an understanding for the game, touch, timing, command of the huddle, respect from his teammates, a noticeable improvement on things we all ha questions about. he does not look lost, he does not look confused, he does not look timid...he looks like a damn quarterback! preseason or not, this is absolutely grounds for optimism and encouragement.

This is on target. I wasn't a fan of the pick but albeit it's the preseason, I'm encouraged by what I see. He's going to have some fails when he finally faces a sophisticated defensive scheme and game plan,  but he's calm in the pocket, mobile and keeps his eyes downfield. Be has worked on his footwork since college and that will help his accuracy.  I'd like to see him start 6 or 7 games into the season once we know what the OL can and can't do. 

12 hours ago, Domdab99 said:

You guys really can’t take a joke? 

Most folks 'round here are kool-aid drinking homers, who view this forum as a booster club and opportunity to say "go Bills" and nothing more.

They ain't gonna take too kindly to this type of observation, regardless of whatever merit it may have!

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Fadingpain said:

Most folks 'round here are kool-aid drinking homers, who view this forum as a booster club and opportunity to say "go Bills" and nothing more.

They ain't gonna take too kindly to this type of observation, regardless of whatever merit it may have!

..MOST?.....kind of rarified air on that high horse with that labeling "MOST" crap...."there are folks...."  is much better and I'm NOT part of that group....besides, kool aid gives me a Depends rash....after 56 years,  just call 'em as I see 'em, whether right, wrong, indifferent, in the majority or minority...could care less....