Time to end all-preseason games

3 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

The answer is three games, and 17 regular season games.  I’d also like to see 7 playoff teams in each conference.  It would increase tv revenue significantly and even though players will gripe, they will make more money as the revenue splitting.  We only need 3 pre-season games to assess talent, and could have a fun season for fans.  I would increase the bye to two weeks , one in the first half, and one in the second half of the season.

you can’t do anything about Kyle as he could have done that week 1 in Baltimore.  Players get hurt and nothing can be done about that as they have made the game about as safe as possible.  Besides not the Dallas Guard, but with Kyle, he is 35.  There is a reason why most lineman can’t make it into their late 30’s.  They are beaten up on every play of the game.

we can only hope he is ok and can make it back by week 1.  Harrison Phillips can fill in for a week or two if needed.

8 teams

11 hours ago, Dadonkadonk said:

Dallas and the NFL just lost a true star player even if he is a guard.  Bills may have lost their heart on defense and a team leader.  

It is time to end all pre-season games.  Don't tell me about timing and figuring out roster spots.  Week 1 of college is played at just as high level as week 4.  The plays run in pre-season are not the same ones they would run or face in week 1.  All teams would be equal in terms of preparation.  They knew their top 45 guys after OTAs and their top 50 before the first preseason game.

There is no reason to risk injury in meaningless games.  If a guy gets hurt in practice so be it.  

Totally disagree - Colleges have 100+ players on rosters and run in both spring and summer inter squad games that are essentially preseason games.

Colleges also do not schedule important games for most teams until week 3 or 4 - again a warm up games typically against teams a division below them.

Additionally a guy getting hurt in practice versus a preseason game is no different - so why not eliminate training camps completely.  You draft your players and then start game 1.

I would prefer to see it drop to 2 preseason games, 18 regular season games, and 2 additional reason games at the end of the summer where 4 teams get together and create some teams of guys eligible for the practice squad to give some rookies and young players more opportunities to be seen and play.

The next CBA will be huge to see if changes are made, but I suspect we will still have at least 3 preseason games which is fine.

8 hours ago, Dadonkadonk said:

No they don't. That is the point.  College doesn't.  NFL does not need them.  They only exist because in 1960 these guys had second jobs and showed up to camp to actually get in shape.  It hasn't been like that since the late 70's.  It is a relic of a bygone era just like the wing-T.  They are not needed.  One day soon you are going to see a star refuse to play.  Go ahead and say I'm crazy.  But there will come a day when a star player is going to refuse to play in a game he doesn't get paid to play.  

I disagree, although I understand your point that training camp and pre-season is no longer needed in terms of getting players into shape but with the huge amount of coaching and roster turnover teams need some time to build chemistry and incorporate new schemes. Coaches also need to formulate their depth charts and practice squads. 

College may not have pre-season but they do training camp and scrimmages between teams. Players get hurt in training camp and in scrimmages. So if you got rid of NFL pre-season and did more inter-squad scrimmages you would still see injuries happen there. So is it better than injuries happen under scrimmages as opposed to pre-season? 

13 hours ago, Dadonkadonk said:

Dallas and the NFL just lost a true star player even if he is a guard.  Bills may have lost their heart on defense and a team leader.  

It is time to end all pre-season games.  Don't tell me about timing and figuring out roster spots.  Week 1 of college is played at just as high level as week 4.  The plays run in pre-season are not the same ones they would run or face in week 1.  All teams would be equal in terms of preparation.  They knew their top 45 guys after OTAs and their top 50 before the first preseason game.

There is no reason to risk injury in meaningless games.  If a guy gets hurt in practice so be it.  

Except in College with a relatively handful of games each week, the first three weeks, the big boys tend to take turns playing the "Sisters of Divine Intervention"

If you eliminate pre-season, I think you will see an increase in injuries the first couple of weeks of the regular season too then.

One thing that would probably help, and probably won't ever happen , is if teams game planned for pre season. I know they won't cuz they don't wanna show the offense and defense, but it'd probably save some players. I feel like pre season football is partly backyard football. Just go out there and do whatever 

Injury and the NFL are two things that just go together. You would have to completely change the game to remove the possibility of injury. 

If you want to remove the problems with preseason you might as well remove all the same problems caused by the game in general. Why go halfway?

Football is a sport that can hurt you. That is the big picture. It will come with moments of greatness and tragedy. That is part of the allure of the sport. At least I view these guys as true gladiators sacrificing themselves for entertainment. 

I think it should be a known thing long before you get to a NFL level. This sport can mess you up badly.

I'm not advocating for injury. Just saying injury going to happen unless you take contact out of the sport.

Edited by Lfod