Time to end all-preseason games

Dallas and the NFL just lost a true star player even if he is a guard.  Bills may have lost their heart on defense and a team leader.  

It is time to end all pre-season games.  Don't tell me about timing and figuring out roster spots.  Week 1 of college is played at just as high level as week 4.  The plays run in pre-season are not the same ones they would run or face in week 1.  All teams would be equal in terms of preparation.  They knew their top 45 guys after OTAs and their top 50 before the first preseason game.

There is no reason to risk injury in meaningless games.  If a guy gets hurt in practice so be it.  

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Dadonkadonk said:

Dallas and the NFL just lost a true star player even if he is a guard.  Bills may have lost their heart on defense and a team leader.  

It is time to end all pre-season games.  Don't tell me about timing and figuring out roster spots.  Week 1 of college is played at just as high level as week 4.  The plays run in pre-season are not the same ones they would run or face in week 1.  All teams would be equal in terms of preparation.  They knew their top 45 guys after OTAs and their top 50 before the first preseason game.

There is no reason to risk injury in meaningless games.  If a guy gets hurt in practice so be it.  

No reason? There’s a big reason:$

Losing players in the pre-season is one of the dark matters of the NFL, but this has been happening since the beginning of time.

And in today's Information Age, it's just more scrutinized.

By the way, I think the said KW was a minor injury. Don't know for sure, but that's what I read.

Yeah I guess I'm gonna tell you about timing and figuring out roster spots. Well not really.

I don't like the idea of killing the pre-season, but I do like the idea that has been floated where two of them become regular season games. Preseason would start at the same time, but only last for 2 games. The regular season would start mid-August and be 18 games. Tack on a couple roster spots, a few more million for the cap, and a second slot for IR designated to return... Boom, everybody wins.

They will never kill it completely because it will decrease the product on the field during regular season. 

Just now, njbuff said:

Losing players in the pre-season is one of the dark matters of the NFL, but this has been happening since the beginning of time.

And in today's Information Age, it's just more scrutinized.

By the way, I think the said KW was a minor injury. Don't know for sure, but that's what I read.

They thought the sun revolved around the earth.  College has no pre-season and you could argue each individual game means more in college for the playoff.  And yes most college first games are mismathches but many are not any longer.  

Time for the NFL to evolve.  

2 minutes ago, Shotgunner said:

Yeah I guess I'm gonna tell you about timing and figuring out roster spots. Well not really.

I don't like the idea of killing the pre-season, but I do like the idea that has been floated where two of them become regular season games. Preseason would start at the same time, but only last for 2 games. The regular season would start mid-August and be 18 games. Tack on a couple roster spots, a few more million for the cap, and a second slot for IR designated to return... Boom, everybody wins.

They will never kill it completely because it will decrease the product on the field during regular season. 

Cutting to two would be a start and they will find those games are unnecessary too.  The product will be fine.  These guys are professionals and have been playing for years. 

6 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

It goes too freaking late now, deep into December and January.  That's nuts.

You wait until all the home playoff games we have and you’ll be glad to see Josh Allen’s frozen ropes piercing through the blustery winds of Orchard Park. Christmas has come early. 

GechaSum

No, the preseason cannot end.

The NFLPA thru rules have made it impossible for teams to get ready for season without preseason. 

No player HAS to play during preseason but they DO because coaches feel it is necessary.

Players not on first draft contract could negotiate with teams to have written into contract that they do not need to play preseason or play only limited number of snaps, etc but they DON'T.  Why? Because if the were asking for that then teams would insist something else - performance clauses, reduced salary, etc which players would refuse meaning that those things, usually money, is more important to them then not playing in preseason. 

Players have on occasion been "unavailable" using such as illnesses to avoid playing but they have to be very, very good (aka Bruce Smith) for teams to put up with it.

• Like (+1) 1

What about the guys that get hurt in camp? Rookie, mini, and training camps have also seen players get hurt, do we eliminate them all together as well?

Football is an inherently violent sport, injuries are part of the game, doesn't mean we play less, considering its an interview/audition for some who are trying to carve out a career for them selves.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Dadonkadonk said:

Injuries happen everywhere, at any time...I personally think a reasonable solution would be to knock it down to 3 preseason games, or 2 with a "bye week" after or before the 2nd game.  The problem with going down to 3 is some teams will be on the road twice and that'll hurt owners pockets, and they definitely want to line their pockets with cash.  Also Zack Martin's knee injury isn't thought to be severe.

Edited by Laughing Coffin

Preseason is a necessary evil. Injuries happen, and it sucks. You just can’t eliminate the ps altogether. They should drop one game and have the preseason end two weeks before opening day though. That last game is a joke in the current format. 

If you shorten pre-season to 2 weeks that doesn't solve the issue. The starters don't play much in game 1 and they don't play at all in game 4. So trimming it to 2 weeks doesn't lessen the playing time of the starters by much. I don't see an issue with the current pre-season format. Game 1 the starters get a few practice swings while the rest of the depth chart is set for games 2 and 3. Games 2 and 3 are the tune ups for the season. Game 4 is a last shot for the reserves and bubble players to make the roster. 

For the starters it basically is a 2 week pre-season. I find it funny that fans will call for an end to pre-season because of injuries but then when injuries happen during training camp they don't call for an end to training camp. 

52 minutes ago, Laughing Coffin said:

Injuries happen everywhere, at any time...I personally think a reasonable solution would be to knock it down to 3 preseason games, or 2 with a "bye week" after or before the 2nd game.  The problem with going down to 3 is some teams will be on the road twice and that'll hurt owners pockets, and they definitely want to line their pockets with cash.  Also Zack Martin's knee injury isn't thought to be severe.

I don't think there is a solution. Teams do need live game simulation to get ready for the season. If you just allowed teams to do more intersquad scrimmages you would just see more injuries happen during those scrimmages. 

• Like (+1) 1