Underrated Band of the 90's

Luka

On 8/21/2018 at 1:51 PM, Seasons1992 said:

But you left out the important information that Jeff Tweedy was the frontman of that band (for you Wilco fans). 

March 16-20, 1992 is a GREAT album. Produced by Peter Buck for FREE (R.E.M).

The closest you will ever get to U-T's sound is Wilco's first album, A.M.

I left out naming Tweedy and Farrar to concentrate on the band not the aftermath. 

But now that the door is open, to me, A.M”. is Tweedy’s farewell to Uncle Tupelo with all the songs bottled up while with UT.  It’s personal preference but I think A.M. is  superior to Farrar/Son Volt’s “Trace,” which got better reviews at the time.  Since then, A.M. has held up as a classic, not one weak link on the record and each a crowd favorite. However, Tweedy’s legacy is the ability to put out a distinct sound on each subsequent album. Of the band’s 70-80 songs I can only think of one or two (see: “Capitol City”) that aren’t up to set list quality. 

It’s hard to underrate a band that’s churns out great albums over 23 years but Wilco probably still be on my all-time underrated band list. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Max Fischer said:

I left out naming Tweedy and Farrar to concentrate on the band not the aftermath. 

But now that the door is open, to me, A.M”. is Tweedy’s farewell to Uncle Tupelo with all the songs bottled up while with UT.  It’s personal preference but I think A.M. is  superior to Farrar/Son Volt’s “Trace,” which got better reviews at the time.  Since then, A.M. has held up as a classic, not one weak link on the record and each a crowd favorite. However, Tweedy’s legacy is the ability to put out a distinct sound on each subsequent album. Of the band’s 70-80 songs I can only think of one or two (see: “Capitol City”) that aren’t up to set list quality. 

It’s hard to underrate a band that’s churns out great albums over 23 years but Wilco probably still be on my all-time underrated band list. 

So England had the Stones, Beatles, Sabbath, Zepp, etc.  It begs the question- who is the greatest American band ever?  I ask friends all the time.  It's an interesting question.  A good sneaky choice is Wilco

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Pete said:

So England had the Stones, Beatles, Sabbath, Zepp, etc.  It begs the question- who is the greatest American band ever?  I ask friends all the time.  It's an interesting question.  A good sneaky choice is Wilco

This is an awesome question.

The first two that popped into my head were the Eagles and Van Halen.

• 4 weeks later...