Can Murphy be Allen's Thurman Thomas?

nikuman

2 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

We all would love to pair Allen with a potential HOF RB for many years -which Shady is too old to do. It’s still a flat out NO that Murphy could be that kind of threat.

A threat like Thurman?  I agree, but a threat, I believe he can be.  If this turns out to be Shadys last year as a Bill, I wouldn’t be surprised if Murphy were our starting Rb next year.  Reminds me a lot of Fred Jackson in the way he maximizes yards per run, returns kicks/punts and hits the hole hard and decisive.  He’s obviously smaller than Fred, but dam, I really like what I see.  I wouldn’t be shocked if he were our starting rb for a couple of years at this point.  It’s been such a small sample size vs backups, but he looked good to me last year vs the fins with the playoffs on the line. Love me some MM

• Like (+1) 1

Yeah Thurman Thomas literally changed the way running backs were used. His dual threat ability helped pave the way for the likes of Marshall Faulk or even LT.

Thurman was the best all purpose back in his era. There's no way you can compare what we've seen from Marcus Murphy to him, no matter how much I like the way Murphy runs.

Lets see if this guy can actually make the final roster first before we put him in the same sentence as Thurman Thomas.

3 hours ago, nikuman said:

Going back to his college days it seems that Marcus Murphy has served as a versatile utility back.  He'll never put up similar numbers as Thurman Thomas, but does anyone else think he has the skill set to play the same role on a smaller scale?  I think that with Murphy, one more good receiver (if nobody emerges from the current roster) and a solid OL, the K-gun offense is reborn as the J-gun. 

A man can dream, right?

Keep dreaming

thZPYPNDFG.jpg

2 hours ago, nikuman said:

A lesser Thurman.  Same role, less yardage.  We really haven't had anyone else who could do what Thurman did and Shady likely will not be around much longer.

By same role but less yardage do you mean actually a backup that will produce somewhere between 3-5% of TTs average annual yardage? Because if you mean “totally different role and almost no yardage” I can say I’m also all in with this option 

Well he's already 27 and hasn't done much in the league so far. If he makes the team he'll be a backup and won't play much.

So making the HUGE assumption that he becomes the starter next year if McCoy retires or something, he'd only be able to play another couple seasons before everyone starts labeling him as an old RB.

3 hours ago, nikuman said:

Going back to his college days it seems that Marcus Murphy has served as a versatile utility back.  He'll never put up similar numbers as Thurman Thomas, but does anyone else think he has the skill set to play the same role on a smaller scale?  I think that with Murphy, one more good receiver (if nobody emerges from the current roster) and a solid OL, the K-gun offense is reborn as the J-gun. 

A man can dream, right?

???????????????

8 hours ago, nikuman said:

I was in no way trying to compare the two, Jesus.  I know nothing about Murphy and was simply asking if he has the skill set to play a similar role.

Your new here, I think.  This is not the place to opine....

• Haha (+1) 1

I agree with Murphy being a lot of fun to watch, but a bit much comparing him in anyway to a Gold Jacket.  Shady will always get the first reps, and Murphy will be a change of pace to give Shady some rest.

Now he can probably make a difference on special teams, and when Shady does move on, maybe he’ll develop into a starting RB.

7 hours ago, MJS said:

Well he's already 27 and hasn't done much in the league so far. If he makes the team he'll be a backup and won't play much.

So making the HUGE assumption that he becomes the starter next year if McCoy retires or something, he'd only be able to play another couple seasons before everyone starts labeling him as an old RB.

I think he could be like a Fred Jackson type player.  If that was the case, that would be great.  

2 hours ago, Buftex said:

Your new here, I think.  This is not the place to opine....

Sorry, I didn't realize that questions or opinions aren't welcome here.  I'll try to stick to facts and figures like everyone else.

One thing about the Irish is that they have alot of heart, and you cant measure that with wonderlic scores or combine numbers. 

Just now, nikuman said:

Sorry, I didn't realize that questions or opinions aren't welcome here.  I'll try to stick to facts and figures like everyone else.

To be clear EVERYONE is welcome to share their opinions, but NOBODY is off limits when it comes to ridicule and funny memes. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...so then Murphy can be Kenneth Davis........

Still likely another step back from that probably. Murphy is likely just another guy, 3rd string running back that doing decent in the preseason. Our own jonathan Williams is getting some hype in nola right now for instance, among about 20 others league wide. He’s a decent guy to have but not the type you scour 30 years of roster to find a comp point. 

34 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Still likely another step back from that probably. Murphy is likely just another guy, 3rd string running back that doing decent in the preseason. Our own jonathan Williams is getting some hype in nola right now for instance, among about 20 others league wide. He’s a decent guy to have but not the type you scour 30 years of roster to find a comp point. 

......we should find out soon enough....if I remember correctly, Gillisee was well traveled upon arriving here.....he produced and had many PO'ed when OBD let him walk.....