Can Murphy be Allen's Thurman Thomas?

nikuman

Going back to his college days it seems that Marcus Murphy has served as a versatile utility back.  He'll never put up similar numbers as Thurman Thomas, but does anyone else think he has the skill set to play the same role on a smaller scale?  I think that with Murphy, one more good receiver (if nobody emerges from the current roster) and a solid OL, the K-gun offense is reborn as the J-gun. 

A man can dream, right?

• Haha (+1) 1

Same role on smaller scale?   So same or different?    Absolute no from me on the question in the title.  Murphy maybe could be someone like Kenny Davis.  He really should not be compared to a hall of famer

Edited by mattynh
  • Like (+1) 1

It’s absolute Blasphemy to suggest this aloud. TT was fabulous as a blocker and pass receiver and was from the 1st day he stepped on the field. He was was a 4X NFL Leader in total yrds from scrimmage and was cheated out of 1st Ballot HOF but made it his second year of eligibility. Marcus Murphy appears to have finally blossomed into a fine back.

in a word: No.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

It’s absolute Blasphemy to consider this aloud. TT was fabulous as a blocker and pass receiver and was from the 1st day he stepped on the field. He was cheated out of 1st Ballot HOF but made it his second year of eligibility. Marcus Murphy appears to have finally blossomed into a fine back.

Well, yeah, but how did Thurman do against the Browns in the second pre-season game? You failed to consider THAT! 

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Augie said:

Well, yeah, but how did Thurman do against the Browns in the second pre-season game? You failed to consider THAT! 

You mean against the Browns second string.  But He didn’t play much cause he was one of the best ever.   Not some dude trying to make a team. 

5 minutes ago, mattynh said:

Same role on smaller scale?   So same or different?    Absolute no from me on the question in the title.  Murphy maybe could be someone like Kenny Davis.  He really should not be compared to a hall of famer

A lesser Thurman.  Same role, less yardage.  We really haven't had anyone else who could do what Thurman did and Shady likely will not be around much longer.

8 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

It’s absolute Blasphemy to suggest this aloud. TT was fabulous as a blocker and pass receiver and was from the 1st day he stepped on the field. He was was a 4X NFL Leader in total yrds from scrimmage and was cheated out of 1st Ballot HOF but made it his second year of eligibility. Marcus Murphy appears to have finally blossomed into a fine back.

I was in no way trying to compare the two, Jesus.  I know nothing about Murphy and was simply asking if he has the skill set to play a similar role.

1 minute ago, nikuman said:

A lesser Thurman.  Same role, less yardage.  We really haven't had anyone else who could do what Thurman did and Shady likely will not be around much longer.

The role is bell cow 40% of the offense.  If it’s not that it’s differnt.   I don’t get the same but less thing you are selling.  Honestly just give it up.   The chances Murphy takes over for shady long term are slim and none 

3 minutes ago, nikuman said:

I was in no way trying to compare the two, Jesus.  I know nothing about Murphy and was simply asking if he has the skill set to play a similar role.

We all would love to pair Allen with a potential HOF RB for many years -which Shady is too old to do. It’s still a flat out NO that Murphy could be that kind of threat.

21 minutes ago, nikuman said:

Going back to his college days it seems that Marcus Murphy has served as a versatile utility back.  He'll never put up similar numbers as Thurman Thomas, but does anyone else think he has the skill set to play the same role on a smaller scale?  I think that with Murphy, one more good receiver (if nobody emerges from the current roster) and a solid OL, the K-gun offense is reborn as the J-gun. 

A man can dream, right?

Oh my. 

9 minutes ago, mattynh said:

You mean against the Browns second string.  But He didn’t play much cause he was one of the best ever.   Not some dude trying to make a team. 

I’m not even sure what that means. 

22 minutes ago, nikuman said:

A man can dream, right?

Change the question of the thread and rephrase your paragraph a bit. Then, maybe people wont be so hostile. Be a little clearer about what you're asking.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

We all would love to pair Allen with a potential HOF RB for many years -which Shady is too old to do. It’s still a flat out NO that Murphy could be that kind of threat.

We can find a guy cheap and semi-late to be part of the new RB by group philosophy. A 3rd rounder can be your star. The Giants messed up. A good RB is maybe 8 years (at best). A QB is twice that. 

3 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Can Coleman be his James Lofton?  ;)

I’ve never heard the guy speak, but he could probably be the radio personality Lofton is.  Why not? 

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

Thurman Thomas might be the most underrated running back in NFL history.  Enmity and Barry get all the glory, but Thurman I think most modern NFL coaches would rather have.  As has been said already, he could do it all.  Emmitt and Barry offered little other than carrying the ball.

For Bills fans here too young to really remember Thurman Thomas, you have to realize the guy was one of the greatest offensive dual-threat weapons in NFL history.  You can't overstate how effective he was at moving the ball downfield and into the end zone.  

He's not easily replaced.

PS:  I still can't believe he shared a backfield with Barry Sanders at Oklahoma State.  

Good God! 

Edited by Fadingpain
  • Like (+1) 2