Brian Baldinger great analysis of Allen's footwork and the Oline

Yeezus

1 hour ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Allen looks to be the elusive franchise QB we've been waiting for.  Baldinger is right about the OLine, which needs to get squared away quickly.  The guys he picked on - Ducasse, Dawkins, and Mills were all there last year.  This is on Juan Castillo.

Starting O-line was fine against Carolina.  I wouldn't panic yet.  See how they look against the Bengals.  First game they will do a bit of game planning.

1 hour ago, TheTruthHurts said:

The snap was early. Groy's mistake. He's messed up the snap count twice this preseason, maybe something to watch.

That center (who snapped the ball early) looked like he was wearing 66, and that is Bodine.  Who shouldn't be starting.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, aristocrat said:

The qb can make the o line look good just like an o line can make a rb look good. If Allen can make some plays and make quick reads our o line will look better. Gonna be some ups and downs but if our defense can shore up that run d Allen won’t have to sling it 40 times 

I agree...this was the difference between Big Ben and JP in their rookie season...Big Ben was elusive and made ccurate throws that didn't require his OL to block all day for him.  On the flip side for both JP and Trent Edwards, the line needed to protect them if they had to connect. 

The other aspect I see with Josh is his "anticipation".  Something Tyrod could never do.  A Offensive game plan like the Patriots is pre-determined on QB's anticipation of where a receiver is going to be and to throw before that...Tyrod refused to do that so many times.

8 minutes ago, ganesh said:

I agree...this was the difference between Big Ben and JP in their rookie season...Big Ben was elusive and made ccurate throws that didn't require his OL to block all day for him.  On the flip side for both JP and Trent Edwards, the line needed to protect them if they had to connect. 

The other aspect I see with Josh is his "anticipation".  Something Tyrod could never do.  A Offensive game plan like the Patriots is pre-determined on QB's anticipation of where a receiver is going to be and to throw before that...Tyrod refused to do that so many times.

Including last night.

?

But seriously, how is Mills still employed? He looked like that the entire game against San Diego last year. I thought he did it on purpose because of Tyrod, but now I see he is just complete garbage.

45 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

The video clip was only 2:19 and it seems to cut off prematurely with Baldinger in mid-sentence.

Does anyone know where to find the full video? 

If someone can post it that would be great.  The original source for this material is not Twitter, is it?

Yeah, I’d love to see the whole video too. I’ve been trying to find it myself with no luck so far. All I can find is the video posted above. 

• Like (+1) 2

C’mon guys and girls let’s not get ahead of ourselves. Allen has shown flashes and I’m very optimistic for the future with his arm under center...BUT it’s preseason and though he has shown flashes and that he’s learning he still has things to learn and improve on. I’m all for Picky Pete to start the season. He’s shown improvement and has been the more consistent passer this preseason. He elevated the third string today and was poised with the ones last week. 

I'm wondering if part of the o-line's troubles have to do with the limited number of snaps Josh Allen has had with the top group of linemen.  Maybe they just aren't as accustomed to his snap cadence as they are to AJ McCarron and Nate Peterman.  

Just now, TigerJ said:

I'm wondering if part of the o-line's troubles have to do with the limited number of snaps Josh Allen has had with the top group of linemen.  Maybe they just aren't as accustomed to his snap cadence as they are to AJ McCarron and Nate Peterman.  

No.  Indecisiveness on who to block has nothing to do with the QB and everything to do with guys just not understanding how to apply what they were taught to what is happening in the game. It might be they don't understand what was trying to be taught.  

What Baldy didn't mention in the short clip I watched was that Allen was going against the Browns 2nd string defense. ANNNND, Allen was sacked by an unblocked defender and was thrown to the ground on his head. The last thing Bills fans want to see is another Trent Edwards Arizona type concussion on Allen.

That first string Cleveland defense hit AJ McCarron enough to knock him out for 8-10 weeks with a cracked collarbone. What a crap O-line!!

What I also don't want to see is Josh Allen attempting to survive behind that craptastic O-line against the Ravens, Vikings, Chargers, Packers, Texans defenses. 

I hope Beane can do some trades or pickups off the waiver wire that will help the Bills QB's make it through this season.

Edited by Nihilarian
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

Probably more a function of alternating centers instead of just sticking with Groy.  And it seems apparent Ducasse is a zone blocker (last year's scheme).  Get him out of there. 

8 hours ago, Bring it said:

This o-line looks exactly like it should when it’s leader has left and no one has stepped up to take over. I’m talking about E Wood of course. They need someone to take over and it usually has to be the center. Groy or Bodine? NOT good!!

It was pretty bad last year, too.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Paulus said:

It was pretty bad last year, too.

They regressed from the season before for sure. Was it Ducasse or the Glenn injury? I’m not sure. Shady made them look good at times. They struggle much more in pass protect than the run. That speaks to lack of leadership when assignments are late or just plain missed! Maybe the new scheme needs more time. The run calls are much more varied now with Daboll. Some of these guys may never get it.

They went from a power scheme under Kromer to a zone scheme last year per Dennision's desires  That's why there was a drop-off and suddenly Miller looked like crap.  They went back to zone this year but with the flux on the OL, it's been hard to jell and rotating centers IMHO wasn't a smart idea (they should have stuck with Groy from the get-go).  Still I have to give them credit for dumping Dennison after just one season when it would have been far easier to keep the status quo and blame it all on TT.

12 hours ago, TheTruthHurts said:

The snap was early. Groy's mistake. He's messed up the snap count twice this preseason, maybe something to watch. 

The OL struggled with communicating this game. I wonder if they were trying something new. Many mental mistakes. 

That's what you get when you're rotating  QBs and C ... Would like to see a starter named immediately for both positions , regardless who it is ..