Sam Darnold Officially Named NYJ Starting QB

No surprise there. He’s their #3 overall pick and they’ve been quickly pushing him up the depth chart since he showed up for camp. 

I don’t think it was ever an “open QB competition” as Todd Bowles claimed it was, anyway. It was always Darnold’s job to lose, and he’s done nothing to lose it. 

Bridgewater played very well in week 2, though. I thought he almost played better than Darnold did. But the Jets clearly feel Darnold is ready and doesn’t need any time on the sidelines. I hope Bridgewater can catch on somewhere else. I’ve always liked him. Seems like a great kid. 

• Like (+1) 2

The Jets open the season with 3 games in the span of 10 days, two on the road. That alone might be reason enough to delay Darnold's debut until after opening day. Granted it's not the toughest competition, but the NY media will have a field day if things don't go well. 

3 hours ago, GimmeSomeProcess said:

I get starting him but Bridgewater has look great. 

They'll probably trade him then. McCown is probably a better backup because of his experience and willingness to take young players under his wing.

• Like (+1) 1

The Jets will always be the Jets. They signed a competent QB in Bridgewater, who exceeded expectations, and instead of rolling with the experienced player until he fails they are going to roll with the rookie.

Not saying that is entirely bad, but the Jets arent exactly a powerhouse, they would be wise to not subject Darnold to that, especially when Bridgewater has played as well as he has.

Darnold saw a lot of peaks and vallies last year having due to his weapons graduating to the NFL. The Jets WR is a joke and i dont see them putting Darnold in the best position to succeed.

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/18/2018 at 7:54 PM, aristocrat said:

14 tds 13 picks. 5 fumbles lost. He’s gonna be a turnover machine 

what year was that again .

Older and wiser ?
and he aint got no quit in him ! That's for sure !!

: )