Does the play of the other QBs impact Allen’s timeline?

Does the play of McCarron or Peterman impact Allen’s timeline?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Does the play of the other QBs effect Allen’s timeline?

• Yes, the Bills will play the best guy now
    • No, Allen plays when they think he’s ready

This discussion has been had in various threads and thought that it may be wise to break it out and attach a poll. I’m of the belief that the play of McCarron and/or Peterman has little to no effect on when Allen plays. In my opinion, he is playing when he’s ready. 

Hypothetically, as of opening day the Bills believe that Allen is ready to play but Peterman gives them a better chance to win. Who do you think starts? 

No doubt that Peterman has continued to improve but his skill set is more of a serviceable QB. As I watch this competition unfold, I keep asking myself if the Bills get down 10 points in a game, what QB on the roster can bring them back. My eyes say that is Allen by a big margin. AJM injury stinks as that may accelerate Allen starting sooner than expected. Peterman’s arm strength concerns me every time he throws a deep out. I don’t any defense fears him beating them deep consistently. Prior to his injury I was hoping AJM would play well enough to start at the beginning of the season, but his play was very conservative. 

Not the best scenario but at this point but I think Allen is the starter unless the wheels fall off.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

This discussion has been had in various threads and thought that it may be wise to break it out and attach a poll. I’m of the belief that the play of McCarron and/or Peterman has little to no effect on when Allen plays. In my opinion, he is playing when he’s ready. 

Hypothetically, as of opening day the Bills believe that Allen is ready to play but Peterman gives them a better chance to win. Who do you think starts? 

I think they are mostly one and the same. And I don't think it's possible that Allen is ready to play and Peterman gives them a better chance to win. If he's ready to play he gives them a better chance to win by definition. He can do ten different things that Peterman can't. 

I also think that Allen in the game alone has an enormous affect on the run game, similar to how having Tyrod in the game had an affect on the run game. And without it we are sunk. 

A day late on this concept IMO, KJ. The way the poll reads, both choices are the same. There’s only 2 QBs now and the Star, extremely expensive Rookie is clearly the 1) Best Guy and has been from get-go and 2) Is as ready as he’d be in week 4 and forward. 

4 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I think they are mostly one and the same. And I don't think it's possible that Allen is ready to play and Peterman gives them a better chance to win. If he's ready to play he gives them a better chance to win by definition. He can do ten different things that Peterman can't. 

I also think that Allen in the game alone has an enormous affect on the run game, similar to how having Tyrod in the game had an affect on the run game. And without it we are sunk. 

I don’t necessarily disagree as it’s playing out that way. The point was if the Bills are comfortable with either guy (or McCarron pre-injury) who would start? They might believe that Allen is at a point where he cannot be ruined but Peterman gives them a better chance to win. It’s kind of like the Savage - Watson situation last year. I’m not saying that’s the case but it’s an interesting discussion IMO. What takes priority, winning now, or developing Allen? Those don’t necessarily have to be different but if they are which way do the Bills go?

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I do think Allen with his talent could give them a better shot at winning, but still not be ready.  I think the Texans were in that same boat last year.  Watson gave them the best chance at winning, but he was really not ready to start.  After the bad first half, the Texans played Watson and he did good things and bad things.  The question is can you live with the mistakes as he grows.

I think Allen has shown he gets a bit over excited to start with - he seems to struggle more early with high and off target throws.  I would almost prefer to see if sit a bit and not have to come in right away so he has time to relax and get into the flow.  His talent is just to much to keep on the bench long if they want to win this year.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

A day late on this concept IMO, KJ. The way the poll reads, both choices are the same. There’s only 2 QBs now and the Star, extremely expensive Rookie is clearly the 1) Best Guy and has been from get-go and 2) Is as ready as he’d be in week 4 and forward. 

I don’t disagree that Allen looks like the best of the group already. That isn’t shocking either. They cleared the deck for him. This question may have made more sense 24 hours ago but taking out our biases it still has some merit IMO. If (not saying that they do) the Bills believe that Peterman gives them the best chance to win now, who plays? I still think it’s Allen.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I don’t necessarily disagree as it’s playing out that way. The point was if the Bills are comfortable with either guy (or McCarron pre-injury) who would start? They might believe that Allen is at a point where he cannot be ruined but Peterman gives them a better chance to win. It’s kind of like the Savage - Watson situation last year. I’m not saying that’s the case but it’s an interesting discussion IMO. What takes priority, winning now, or developing Allen? Those don’t necessarily have to be different but if they are which way do the Bills go?

Yeah, I understand what you are saying. I just think that if McD has another momentary lapse of reason and starts Peterman, it won't last much longer than it did last year when they start seeing CBs jump his weak out passes, see him getting crushed under pressure because the OL can't pass block, and see teams put 8-9 in the box most plays and take Shady out of the game, daring Peterman to beat them consistently with downfield passes. It's going to get ugly quick. 

4 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

I do think Allen with his talent could give them a better shot at winning, but still not be ready.  I think the Texans were in that same boat last year.  Watson gave them the best chance at winning, but he was really not ready to start.  After the bad first half, the Texans played Watson and he did good things and bad things.  The question is can you live with the mistakes as he grows.

I think Allen has shown he gets a bit over excited to start with - he seems to struggle more early with high and off target throws.  I would almost prefer to see if sit a bit and not have to come in right away so he has time to relax and get into the flow.  His talent is just to much to keep on the bench long if they want to win this year.

He had exactly one of those in each game. By his second throw he settled down. And the Texans were in the same boat last year and made a huge mistake playing Savage, who is awful, instead of Watson, who may not have been completely ready but was better than awful. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Yeah, I understand what you are saying. I just think that if McD has another momentary lapse of reason and starts Peterman, it won't last much longer than it did last year when they start seeing CBs jump his weak out passes, see him getting crushed under pressure because the OL can't pass block, and see teams put 8-9 in the box most plays and take Shady out of the game, daring Peterman to beat them consistently with downfield passes. It's going to get ugly quick. 

He had exactly one of those in each game. By his second throw he settled down. And the Texans were in the same boat last year and made a huge mistake playing Savage, who is awful, instead of Watson, who may not have been completely ready but was better than awful. 

I don’t disagree - I just think if we are being asked if they should start him because he gives him the best chance to win or wait until he is ready - that could be 2 different times.  Much like Watson/Savage - Watson gave them the best chance (seen throughout the pre-season), but he was not really ready to start as seen by some of his mistakes once he started playing.

I think getting him in - even if he is not totally ready still gives him the best chance to learn and grow, but you need to accept he is going to make mistakes and maybe cost us a game here or there.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Rochesterfan said:

I don’t disagree - I just think if we are being asked if they should start him because he gives him the best chance to win or wait until he is ready - that could be 2 different times.  Much like Watson/Savage - Watson gave them the best chance (seen throughout the pre-season), but he was not really ready to start as seen by some of his mistakes once he started playing.

I think getting him in - even if he is not totally ready still gives him the best chance to learn and grow, but you need to accept he is going to make mistakes and maybe cost us a game here or there.

Totally agree with that. But to me, you cannot start Peterman because you are worried Allen may make mistakes. Peterman is a master craftsman of mistakes. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

I don't know if there is a way to avoid Allen making rookie mistakes it's just going to happen as he gets used to the next level. 

People can say he’s not ready but a lot of that is based off the narrative he was an ultra-talented project.  

Pretty sure he doesnt look like a project.  Also, pretty sure nobody would be calling him a project if he came from a P-5 school. 

He looked great with the 3’s.  He looked great with the 2’s.  He hasn’t given anyone a reason why he wouldn’t look great with the 1s. 

For the whole OL will get him killed crowd.  I’m just going to assume that we don’t run basic 1 on 1 blocking schemes when Allen is back there. I think we’ll see a lot of 2 TE/1 back sets to help in protection.   Also helps that he seems to find TE’s at a nice clip to move the chains. 

Edited by SCBills

If this competition were between Allen and a veteran, even a journeyman, I’d say maybe you let him sit for a while. However Peterman is not much of a veteran and has done nothing. The veteran teaching the rookie can not enter into this decision.

Based on the Browns game, whoever starts the first few games is going to be awfully beat up unless the line improves a lot.

In fact, the chances are both would play anyway through injury by our first home game. Either way, the most important thing the coaches can do is decide on the line and let it develop as much chemistry as possible.

Edited by Jeff1954

8 minutes ago, Jeff1954 said:

Based on the Browns game, whoever starts the first few games is going to be awfully beat up unless the line improves a lot.

In fact, the chances are both would play anyway through injury by our first home game. Either way, the most important thing the coaches can do is decide on the line and let it develop as much chemistry as possible.

By that logic why play Peterman or Allen? If the line is that bad just bring in guys that can take a punch. Or just run the ball every play.