Baker Mayfield better than Tyrod already?

2 hours ago, Mister Defense said:

More similar?  In what ways?  One places balls precisely, and one throws them in the vicinity. One leads a receiver, hits him stride, and one throws it somewhere in the vicinity.  Yes, generalizing and exaggerating here, but almost nothing similar in their skill sets

See that, I saw plenty of both... from both

8 hours ago, Mickey said:

Trying to predict how good a rookie will be based on preseason games is like a teenager thinking he knows what sex will be like based on holding a girl's hand during square dancing class in gym. 

Mister Defense probably thinks he is holding the girl's hand in closet but probably holding a broom handle.

I wouldn't let pre-season get you too excited in either direction. Tyrod has looked pretty good in pre-season and in training camp. The Browns aren't going to hamper Mayfield's development by playing him too early esp when they have a competent option in Tyrod. 

10 hours ago, Teddy KGB said:

Mayfield sitting for Terrible Taylor is gonna be hilarious as Baker tries to not spaz out 

Steelers and Saints gonna have Taylor crying to reporters before his week 3 benching.  

....gonna be interesting to see how long "Coach" Haslam stays quiet with TT at the helm and Baker passing out Gatorade............

11 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I think those two guys are more similar than most. 

I watched all of his every throw videos. 

He ran a scrpited offense, rarely threw over the middle, when he did they rolled him out. 

In my view he’s a slightly better throwing, slightly less athletic TT. 

I even speculate they grabbed Tyrod because they saw that too, and offensive design center around it. 

I could not disagree more.  I do not seem them as similar at all - in fact I think that bringing in TT was a huge mistake for the Browns in trying to mentor Baker. 

Baker is a rhythm passer with excellent accuracy that uses the entire field.  I think he will be a great fit for that offense once they let him start.  He will use all of the weapons and will open up the running game for the Browns in the future.

TT does not throw in rhythm- he is a see the guy open and then throw type of passer that is going to tick off a guy like Landry - that will destroy his RAC ability for the season.  It will also be fun to watch Haley (a guy that got into it with Big Ben) with TT - he will design plays that work, but the ball will be late and it will cause issues.

The reason they got TT was because they knew from the last couple of years they were not going to get a FA QB worth a darn and they were going to draft a QB #1 - so they wanted a veteran on a short contract to give them something this year in case Baker is not ready.

At this point - Baker is already far superior to TT (as he should be based upon talent levels) and he could do more in this offense than TT, but much like Jeff Fisher for the Rams - Hue is a bad coach that made up his mind and I doubt anything will change it until he is fired and Haley takes over and makes the change.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Rochesterfan said:

I could not disagree more.  I do not seem them as similar at all - in fact I think that bringing in TT was a huge mistake for the Browns in trying to mentor Baker. 

Baker is a rhythm passer with excellent accuracy that uses the entire field.  I think he will be a great fit for that offense once they let him start.  He will use all of the weapons and will open up the running game for the Browns in the future.

TT does not throw in rhythm- he is a see the guy open and then throw type of passer that is going to tick off a guy like Landry - that will destroy his RAC ability for the season.  It will also be fun to watch Haley (a guy that got into it with Big Ben) with TT - he will design plays that work, but the ball will be late and it will cause issues.

The reason they got TT was because they knew from the last couple of years they were not going to get a FA QB worth a darn and they were going to draft a QB #1 - so they wanted a veteran on a short contract to give them something this year in case Baker is not ready.

At this point - Baker is already far superior to TT (as he should be based upon talent levels) and he could do more in this offense than TT, but much like Jeff Fisher for the Rams - Hue is a bad coach that made up his mind and I doubt anything will change it until he is fired and Haley takes over and makes the change.

Wrong way to look at it.  In terms of being a professional who arrives early, studies hard, works hard, and comports himself as a great teammate who leads by example Tyrod is the perfect mentor for Mayfield.  These are all things that Mayfield would do well to emulate. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Wrong way to look at it.  In terms of being a professional who arrives early, studies hard, works hard, and comports himself as a great teammate who leads by example Tyrod is the perfect mentor for Mayfield.  These are all things that Mayfield would do well to emulate. 

I do not disagree that TT can show him how to be professional, but I do not think Mayfield is going to necessarily pick that up from TT - especially as TT struggles in the passing game.  I think you will (and already have in some cases) see Mayfield with his personality - go against what TT is doing because he is a very different type of leader.  

It may work out, but I think the combination and the quiet personality that TT brings is more of a detriment to the type of player Mayfield is.  I also would fear that Baker at this point giving partial effort is already a better player that TT and that may color how Baker goes in the future.  

21 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

...same undeniable qualities he exuded in Buffalo.....at the same time, Hugh anointed him starter before he even unpacked.....pretty sure upon his exit, TT said he could still be a starter in the NFL.....not sure then how much of a mentoring role he is willing to accept.......

4 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

I do not disagree that TT can show him how to be professional, but I do not think Mayfield is going to necessarily pick that up from TT - especially as TT struggles in the passing game.  I think you will (and already have in some cases) see Mayfield with his personality - go against what TT is doing because he is a very different type of leader.  

It may work out, but I think the combination and the quiet personality that TT brings is more of a detriment to the type of player Mayfield is.  I also would fear that Baker at this point giving partial effort is already a better player that TT and that may color how Baker goes in the future.  

You are conflating professionalism as an approach to the game with actual performance as a QB.  Mayfield is going to be who he is, but that has nothing to do with the things I mentioned that show leadership as a QB and face of the franchise.   

7 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...same undeniable qualities he exuded in Buffalo.....at the same time, Hugh anointed him starter before he even unpacked.....pretty sure upon his exit, TT said he could still be a starter in the NFL.....not sure then how much of a mentoring role he is willing to accept.......

All you need to do is look at how he handled being benched for Peterman and he knows full well that Mayfield will eventually supplant him as the Browns' starter.

32 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

Baker is completing 54.5% of his passes in preseason against defenses who are not game planning. How does that translate into he's a really accurate QB? 

Great pull Lovemesomebills.

Everyone commenting on Mayfields phenomenal  accuracy in preseason, please amend your posts to read “but Allen is even more accurate”. 

Thank you

• Haha (+1) 1