Baker Mayfield better than Tyrod already?

Great to see Josh Allen perform as well as he did last night,  looking poised, competent, confident and loaded with skill and potential.  This coaching staff, the best here in years, seems to be creating the environment in which he can grow quickly into a very solid NFL quarterback and leader. 

But also impressed with Baker Mayfield's performance, skills,  and potential.  He was very accurate with almost every pass, and seemed to complete a wide variety of passes.  Even some that didn't count, like his corner of the end-zone 'TD' pass, showed what he can do.  This years quarterbacks, like Allen and Mayfield, and some others, will likely define the position for years to come. 

I like Tyrod Taylor.  He is a hard worker and  a humble guy.  He has a good arm and is an excellent runner.   

I  saw every pass he threw in every Bills game. And watching the game last night, seeing Mayfield zing the ball to the perfect spot on almost every pass, hitting receivers in stride with great placement, I  realized:  right now, before ever playing in an actual NFL game, and with only a few months of NFL practice under his belt, Baker Mayfield is already a better NFL quarterback than Tyrod Taylor is.

Hugh Jackson can say what he wants, but it seems impossible that he can overlook this himself.  I believe Mayfield will be the starter on day one or very soon after.

Why not just do it now? Did anyone else think something similar last night?

Tyrod is not a good throwing QB and we saw it last night.  I know it's pre-season but that's Tyrod minus his running which he won't do much (smartly) in pre-season.  Landry will get frustrated and the team will lose early - then Mayfield will quickly get his shot, imo.  

• Like (+1) 2

Tyrod will be fine, at least early, but on a short leash.  Cleveland has botched so many young QBs that there is just no way he starts week 1.  Now Hue knows his job is on the line so if they come out 0-3, 1-3, or something then I think Baker will get his shot.  Maybe even if 0-2, but I still expect TT to get 3 games before a change is considered.  

But I think Baker is capable of being a week 1 starter, but after the screw ups prior young QBs (I mean even Kizer looks better in GB) and spending a high 3rd on TT there is just no way they will start Baker week 1.

9 minutes ago, Mickey said:

Trying to predict how good a rookie will be based on preseason games is like a teenager thinking he knows what sex will be like based on holding a girl's hand during square dancing class in gym. 

You can't fake what Mayfield did last night, as he showed the kind of accuracy that few players do. His ball placement reminded me of some of the best quarterbacks I have seen play, such as Kurt Warner, whose passes seemed to be just where they needed to be.  This doesn't mean Mayfield will be a great quarterback, but he looked really good last night, preseason or not.

I last night I saw glimpses of the Tyrod we know in Buffalo. He's not a risk taker at all, even when it was needed. He seems to rely too much on throwing short, playing safe and conservative with his part of the play and relying the players getting the yards instead of throwing for them.

I'm might be wrong but it's just what it seemed like to me.

44 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Hugh and TaRod will be gone next year.

Hey, if he can pronounce it wrong, you can spell it wrong. 

Mr Taylor will be there all season, which may be more than Hue can say.  Time will tell. 

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Mickey said:

Trying to predict how good a rookie will be based on preseason games is like a teenager thinking he knows what sex will be like based on holding a girl's hand during square dancing class in gym. 

Exactly this.  How many rookie QBs have gotten fans excited in preseason and then crashed and burned when they face regular season defenses.  Mayfield, Darnold, Allen, Rosen ... no matter how good they look in preseason, they are going to have a rude awakening when they get their first opportunity to play when the games actually count. 

• Like (+1) 1

If Gordon comes back and they sign Dez that will be a sick WR combo and an interesting combination of personalities.  Tyrod will last two games before they make the change if that's who the Browns starting WR's are to start the season.  He's not exactly a WR friendly QB.

Baker looked great imo.  It wont be long and he will be starting.  

My bet is the browns and Bills are in no hurry to to start the rookies. They will both wait until the offenses are working well enough for them to be successful.  

TT and peterman can be planed for and contained. JA and BM both can make so many different plays it can not be easily game planed for.