Why is nobody discussing the offensive line?

BigDingus

Vlad Ducasse has naked pictures of someone else's wife...John Miller was a promising looking guard 2 years ago, than someone decided to start Vlad Ducasse. Richie incognito unexpectedly retired and someone said.."I know let's move Vlad Ducasse to LG" ...but why do you drink so much they ask

• Haha (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

So you want McDermott to preach to the team that they're doing everything to win, but we're not going to play Josh as the best QB because you offensive lineman might get him killed.  So hey Nathan, we'll play you instead. :thumbsup:

That’s not what I said, and frankly, have no idea how you arrived at this conclusion 

12 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

I'm sorry that I've seen enough of crappy to mediocre QBs over the last 15 or so years and would like to see the future now rather than later. There have been plenty of QBs that have started right out of the gate and had great careers and sure some not so much but sure maybe Ryan Leaf would have been a hall of famer if he would have just sat a year or two, I mean hey you never know (sarcasm of course). A bad oline isn't gonna halt his development, all that is gonna halt his development is his grasp of the game. That's what makes or breaks QBs. I'm not delusional. It's better to get him out there and give him a taste of the game now than later. You're delusional if you think we're rebuilding after a playoff season lol

Development asks for repetition against against these ( live bullets , horrible analogy btw )
And injured Allen does himself or the Bills no good.

You cannot protect AJM from a blindside tackle. Or have him injured and out. Your line is not ready for prime time. Line shows bette ?r, i will feel less reluctant to let the Kid plays some ball. We all want him to succeed for sure.

well maybe not Gugny

: )

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

They drafted Allen and Edmunds as key players in the 1st round.  So what players would you have drafted and signed in UFA.  I want names dammit!

23 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

The Bills did not sign any of the top FA OL this year even though everyone knew that OL was a big issue.

They gambled and I hope they can piece something together to keep Josh Allen healthy.

Bodine, Newhouse and a low draft pick was next to nothing.

Andrew Norwell G 26 CAR JAC 5 $66,500,000 $13,300,000 $30,000,000 $30,000,000 $5,000,000  
SolderNate Solder LT 30 NE NYG 4 $62,000,000 $15,500,000 $34,800,000 $34,800,000 $10,000,000  
RichburgWeston Richburg C 27 NYG SF 5 $47,500,000 $9,500,000 $28,500,000 $16,500,000 $9,560,000  
PughJustin Pugh G 28 NYG ARI 5 $44,775,000 $8,955,000 $15,750,000 $13,000,000 $3,500,000  
JensenRyan Jensen C 27 BAL TB 4 $42,000,000 $10,500,000 $22,000,000 $22,000,000 $12,000,000  
HubbardChris Hubbard RT 27 PIT CLE 5 $36,500,000 $7,300,000 $15,150,000 $9,000,000 $5,800,000  
FultonZach Fulton G 26 KC HOU 4 $28,000,000 $7,000,000 $13,000,000 $13,000,000 $7,000,000  
LongSpencer Long C 27 WAS NYJ 4 $27,400,000 $6,850,000 $6,000,000 $6,000,000 $6,500,000  
KlineJosh Kline G 28 TEN TEN 4 $26,500,000 $6,625,000 $12,000,000 $9,250,000 $5,750,000  
PounceyMike Pouncey C 29 MIA LAC 2 $15,000,000 $7,500,000 $10,000,000 $10,000,000 $6,250,000

OmamehPatrick Omameh G 28 JAC NYG 3 $15,000,000 $5,000,000 $10,050,000 $10,050,000 $2,400,000  
SittonJosh Sitton G 32 CHI MIA 2 $13,500,000 $6,750,000 $8,450,000 $8,450,000 $6,500,000  
FuscoBrandon Fusco G 30 SF ATL 3 $12,750,000 $4,250,000 $5,500,000 $4,500,000 $3,000,000  
KelemeteSenio Kelemete G 28 NO HOU 3 $12,000,000 $4,000,000 $5,000,000 $5,000,000 $4,000,000  
SullivanJohn Sullivan C 33 LA LA 2 $10,750,000 $5,375,000 $5,250,000 $5,250,000 $6,374,999  
SmithAndre Smith G 31 CIN ARI 2 $8,000,000 $4,000,000 $3,500,000 $3,500,000

$2,676,250

No way they could fix everything in one off season with a limited amount of cap space in 2018.  

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

So what’s the plan to fix the line before the season starts? Please be specific 

It's a little to late for that.  Beane CAN address it some (if he wants) but the base OL is done.

IF Groy is the starting Center I see no usefulness in Bodine who only plays Center.

Go look for a backup OG/C, having Bodine "dress" on game day only being a backup Center is a waste.

IMO

1 hour ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

We have our QB . Every other position can be addressed in free agency. Trade draft picks now to put together a real offensive line.

Several recent Super Bowls have been won by guys on a  rookie QB contract. There is not time to fart around building a line for three years.  There is on reason to stockpile picks.  The QB search is over. 

Sure...so who's giving up there good offensive linemen??? Not any of the good teams... why would they trade? Then the teams that's building...like us... who's giving away their Dion Dawkins??? I know we're not doing that...if the Titans call us...

Dawkins like most good O-linemen are good building blocks... teams are not going to just trade with you cause you want to trade. 

It's free agency or the draft. Unless you find a team that knows they're gonna suck... & have talent to trade... that's the only way. The Colts just revamp they're line, so did the Giants...even though I dont think neither team is a contender, they have enough talent to try & build on. 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Who do you think is trading starting level offensive linemen 2 weeks before the season?

1 hour ago, Bangarang said:

Any suggestions? These threads are typically general statements but rarely can anyone give a specific remedy.

1 hour ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Agreed.  Who we trading for OP?  Don’t make us do your homework for your thread.  Put some thought into viable trade candidates.

32 minutes ago, Dalton said:

Please be specific: who would you target, how much draft capital do you use and why would that team want to trade?

It is nice to rant but what is the solution?

To those asking for specific solutions: OP is not a general manager. There are about 180 guards (just guards, not just offensive linemen) in the NFL, and that doesn't include practice squad players. Fans do not have the resources to do the work of a general manager. A general manager has the resources to investigate which ones would be a scheme fit, which are viable trade candidates, and which are in favorable contract situations. Out of 180 players (plus many more on roster bubbles) I highly doubt that there are zero available to us. Beane likely has a list of appropriate targets. I'm hoping he's just waiting for roster cuts to see if any on his list end up on waivers, but he needs to address the situation one way or another. 

1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Im not a GM. I’d start by looking at the Cowboys. They have a stout line, might have good depth, may have a youngster that can backfill a vet. 

Free agents? 

Joeckel is out there, worth a look? 

The Cowboys are at a delusional state... they think they can beat the Eagles for the division! They are not trading any of their linemen 

2 minutes ago, MPT said:

To those asking for specific solutions: OP is not a general manager. There are about 180 guards (just guards, not just offensive linemen) in the NFL, and that doesn't include practice squad players. Fans do not have the resources to do the work of a general manager. A general manager has the resources to investigate which ones would be a scheme fit, which are viable trade candidates, and which are in favorable contract situations. Out of 180 players (plus many more on roster bubbles) I highly doubt that there are zero available to us. Beane likely has a list of appropriate targets. I'm hoping he's just waiting for roster cuts to see if any on his list end up on waivers, but he needs to address the situation one way or another. 

You’re obviously new around here.  Most of us fancy ourselves to be as knowledgable as the best NFL GMs.  

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

No way they could fix everything in one off season with a limited amount of cap space in 2018.  

I totally agree with you 26, but you got to admit that with a bad OL the offense will struggle.

It is what it is now.  Remember how many posters had Conor McDermott slated as starting RT.

I do not want to see Newhouse take snaps at LT too.

Next year some decent FA $'s AND one of the 2-3 round picks are needed to solidify the OL.

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

I totally agree with you 26, but you got to admit that with a bad OL the offense will struggle.

It is what it is now.  Remember how many posters had Conor McDermott slated as starting RT.

I do not want to see Newhouse take snaps at LT too.

Next year some decent FA $'s AND one of the 2-3 round picks are needed to solidify the OL.

That they would struggle has been the expectation for me given the losses in the offseason. They should still play the best QB regardless who they think gives them the best chance of winning. 

Our oline has been neglected since the glory years.  Its a bunch of misfit toys.  No 1st rounders, no big FA signings.  They grab lineman off the scrapheap, throw them at a wall, see who sticks, and try and coach them up.  The Bills just traded a **** ton to get their QB.  Now let's protect them and give Josh the tools to succeed ie legitimate WRs and Oline

Edited by Pete
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

That they would struggle has been the expectation for me given the losses in the offseason. They should still play the best QB regardless who they think gives them the best chance of winning. 

Josh Allen will have to start way earlier than I wanted but...............that's the way it goes.

So that being said, Daboll should build a line that helps him the most.

Sacrifice run blocking and hope that by giving JA the most time and protection, the running game will open up some because of his arm threat.

Edited by ColoradoBills

5 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

You’re obviously new around here.  Most of us fancy ourselves to be as knowledgable as the best NFL GMs.  

Well sure, but even the most knowledgeable forum poster still doesn't have Jerry Jones' phone number. It's all about opportunity and access, you see. Asking a fellow forum goer which GM is willing to trade an offensive lineman is just pointless. 

4 hours ago, NewEraBills said:

With the way this OL is he's going to play sooner or later this year anyway.  Peterman cannot extend plays and will be a sitting duck.  He has a weak arm.  It's not a good recipe at all.  Bad OL, weak arm QB who cannot extend plays but will have to run for his life.  Peterman doesn't need another 5 INT game.  It's a major possibility if the OL plays like it did last night.

5 pick GAME???? That's awful generous of you!

33 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

The main reason you start Allen, outside of the fact he is clearly better than the other two, is to open the field for Shady. Teams just have to protect against the howitzer. They can't stack the box and take Shady out of the game. The run game is dependent on Allen being in there. 

I like this, a lot of arguments about tyrod opening things up for shady cuz you had to respect both legs, but allen can scramble for 5 yards at any time but more importantly he can roll out on a play action and fire it 50 yards on the run. Defenses last year : contain shady contain tyrod, and challenge tyrod to pass. This year should be different. But someone please tell josh to SLIDE! Stop putting your head down!

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, MPT said:

Nobody was saying there is nobody available. I was saying there is nobody good available. There are at least half a dozen teams in the league struggling to field a competent starting 5. There is a severe lack of talent in the NFL at OL and it is a consequence of the way OL is played and coached in college. 

To flip your argument on yourself.... maybe you think we Bills fans are so knowledgeable that we are the only people who have noticed Vlad Ducasse and Russell Bodine suck? We are not. Everyone knows that guys like that suck but they are still in the league because they are better than the alternatives. If there were a list of magical solutions out there sitting as backups on other teams then they wouldn't stay backups anymore. We saw that here when LA tried to pinch Groy. 

You wanna throw a 1st or 2nd round pick at an above average NFL guard (not even a great one) I am guessing some GM somewhere will bite on that. But it wouldn't be a good use of resources. 

Edited by GunnerBill

8 minutes ago, Norcalbillsfan said:

I like this, a lot of arguments about tyrod opening things up for shady cuz you had to respect both legs, but allen can scramble for 5 yards at any time but more importantly he can roll out on a play action and fire it 50 yards on the run. Defenses last year : contain shady contain tyrod, and challenge tyrod to pass. This year should be different. But someone please tell josh to SLIDE! Stop putting your head down!

They allow you to go head first now and the defenders can't smack you. I don't mind when he does that. It's no more chance of injury and because of his big body it's 2-3 more yards than sliding, which is marked at the earliest place you hit the ground. 

7 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

They allow you to go head first now and the defenders can't smack you. I don't mind when he does that. It's no more chance of injury and because of his big body it's 2-3 more yards than sliding, which is marked at the earliest place you hit the ground. 

Not "supposed" to smack you. In the process before he dives with his head down hes a runner and can get rocked. I'd rather him play it safe and have a long career