Why is nobody discussing the offensive line?

BigDingus

Nobody is forgetting about the O-Line. It's one of the the biggest question marks and weaknesses of the team right now.

There's at least two reasons why Allen makes the O-line better, or at least more effective.

1. The D can't stack the box due to Allen's long ball threat. Not only does this open up the run game, but stacking the box against Peterman also defends against his greatest strength, which is quick hitters overs the middle. (And his his throws to the sideline are a Pick 6 waiting to happen.)

2. Allen has better pocket mobility than Peterman to extend the play, and greater arm strength to deliver into tight windows down field late in the play. 

Allen should start Game 3. Short of catastrophic failures, like 6 INT's, or four straight 3 & outs, the starting QB position should be Allen's to lose.

However, the O-Line needs to be the biggest area for upgrade ASAP. Camp cuts, maybe a trade, and definitly heading into next years off seasons plans. 

I will say that I am encouraged about Peterman's ability to be a long term #2. He seems like a team player who will do whatever it takes to help the team win. Even if that means being an assistant coach to Allen on the sidelines, and coming in in relief. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, 3rdand12 said:

and to you as well.

and The O line

Why is this confusing to you? Poster is going mad about the OL and I sad step away from the ledge.....or are you trying to make me think that you are confused JUST so you can confuse me into stepping over the ledge?

22 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

The Bills are making the starting QB decision based on what the line looks likeas it's been discussed in many other threads. It's not happening and it shouldn't.  

Beane did address the line in UFA with the signings of Bodine and Newhouse. Additionally he drafted Teller.  

Allen will start or not based on his own development path and performance on the field.

/thread

Exactly this^

Might as well just forfeit until that group starts playing better. 

Someone gotta play QB.  After seeing what Peterman did under pressure last season, forfeit is the best option

Edited by BananaB

1 minute ago, Boca BIlls said:

This logic does not make sense. Let's just forfeit every game until we get better lineman

I heard Brady wants to sit also since they just lost their rookie. 

It is not logic.

But its real.

a deep seated fear that Bills Finally have a Real QB ! It's scary as hell. for long timers who have been waiting eons.

And our "moved up to take The Franchise QB  " is such a cherished moment.

I do not want my favorite christmas broken the day after christmas.

Some is going to get him killed. 

Thats what i see

2 minutes ago, fansince88 said:

Why is this confusing to you? Poster is going mad about the OL and I sad step away from the ledge.....or are you trying to make me think that you are confused JUST so you can confuse me into stepping over the ledge?

Yes.

so many ledges for Bills fans, and only so much time.
I fear the O line is not very good at all right now.

Signed

Concerned

2 minutes ago, BananaB said:

Might as well just forfeit until that group starts playing better. 

I have considered it.

2 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Every fan base cries about their OL. By now, we should understand these behemoths are actually highly skilled, talented football players vs the ‘Bouncers off the street’ so many infer. There isn’t a single NFL OL player that doesn’t deserve the rare prestige of being on a final NFL roster -if only for continued evaluation. 

Its all about scheme and acquiring OLmen with skill sets best suited to it. If, as suggested, Dabol plans different schemes week to week, then the jury is out on how well this novel approach may work. 

Are Defensive Ends & Linebackers better athletes and trimmer body styles than OL? Of course. Therein lies the challenges of protection and initial hole run blocking tactics. Just because we don’t know these guys like we knew Wood, Incog & Glenn (with all their detractors) doesn’t mean Bubba & Jimbob from the corner gin mill can step in and be better. 

Its ALL about scheme fit.

Bills forgot about bringing an Oline last night 

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Who do you think is trading starting level offensive linemen 2 weeks before the season?

Buzzkill

2 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

A team with 7 good o lineman and/or a desire to gather draft picks?

i don’t hate the idea.  Probably only need a couple guards. 

and how many teams fall into that category?

1 minute ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

There is no oline depth around the league. The number of backups on other teams (that are not rookies being developed) that would make any difference is very, very small. I'd guess at less than half a dozen.

Mcd and Bean need to start farting around. Everyone  knows by now Josh will be our stating QB day one. Next pre season game  I will not be shocked that Allen will be named starter. Need to Fix O line Especially LG. Groy to center. We now have a few weeks left to get some continuity.

3 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Any suggestions? These threads are typically general statements but rarely can anyone give a specific remedy.

OL is an overrated position...

Who actually drafted peterman? I have seen better junior high QBs.I mean--if you have a weak arm at least be savvy and not an interception machine.

..Lets just hope hope hope that somehow this OL surprises us and is better than people think.

6 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Ben Roethlisberger hasn't had an o-line for 14 years.

Huh? Pouncey, Villanueva, and DeCastro all went to the Pro Bowl this past year and they ranked #1 in sacks per game in 2016. Their depth is also great. Granted, the past few years have been better than in the past, but they've usually been about average in sacks allowed during Roethlisberger's time. 

2 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Buzzkill

and how many teams fall into that category?

I didn’t say it’s easy. Maybe someone has a guy that is good but not in their specific scheme?

maybe a backfill draft pick is good enough to allow a pricey vet to be traded. 

It’s not easy but I don’t see why it’s a bad thought.